PDA

View Full Version : Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
28th April 2011, 08:36 AM
Hi
I have a faithful 93 GQ Manual wagon that will not die. It has done almost 500,000 Km

I do now have a problem with the GQ which I use as a work vehicle and tow vehicle. The nose torque steers ( not a lot but noticeable ) to the left under power, back off and it steers back to the centre. It does not pull under normal driving. It has Nolathane bushes throughout, pollyair bags in the rear and I have installed all new springs and shockers, which does seem to reduce the problem a bit, the tyres are cooper ST and 90%.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob

YNOT
28th April 2011, 08:39 AM
Have you checked the steering components (steering box, drag link, tie rod, king pin bearings) for wear?

Tony

Bob the Builder
28th April 2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks Tony, will do.

Bob

Sir Roofy
28th April 2011, 09:24 AM
x2 mate with that amount of mileage that would be the place to look first
bet this rig has seen some sites in her day

Bob the Builder
28th April 2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks Roofy

It has been around and is still in good condition. It hasn't been flogged and is always maintained. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

I dont' think my 4.8 GU will last as long.

I think the GQ's are the toughest 4WD. We have had Landcruiser trays for work, rebuilt diffs replaced wheel bearings etc

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2011, 10:47 AM
Hey Bob go with Ynot. When i did my Swivel hub Rebuild i could not believe what it did to the steering mate, replacing the king pin bearings was an extreme change to my astonishment for such a little bearing.

At 500,000kms it would be reasonable to put a full Swivel hub kit through the front end and maybe some front wheel bearing while you are there for a transformation.

Also did you replace your Steering Dampener?

Tony? Mate on a GQ with 500,000kms if the rear LSD is chewed out which is likely would full power down be sent to the right rear and cause any torque twist to the left at the front? Hmmm? maybe I made that up? kinda make a little sense to me though, its a very strange "new" symptom at 500k?

hope you get it sorted Bob and welcome to the forum mate.

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2011, 10:49 AM
does it happen in 2wd or 4wd or both?

YNOT
28th April 2011, 10:57 AM
Tony? Mate on a GQ with 500,000kms if the rear LSD is chewed out which is likely would full power down be sent to the right rear and cause any torque twist to the left at the front? Hmmm? maybe I made that up? kinda make a little sense to me though, its a very strange "new" symptom at 500k?

hope you get it sorted Bob and welcome to the forum mate.

It would seem highly unlikely, a worn LSD behaves like an open diff and will distribute torque to the path of least resistance, whichever side that may be depending on the terrain. Nice thinking outside the square though mate.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
28th April 2011, 11:05 AM
It would seem highly unlikely, a worn LSD behaves like an open diff and will distribute torque to the path of least resistance, whichever side that may be depending on the terrain. Nice thinking outside the square though mate.

Tony

yeah that makes sense Tony, I had my thought because after i had my GQ Dyno'd on full power it wants to lift the front left wheel off the ground ;) which is pretty freaky but certainly the torque twist is up into the left corner in 2wd and an open locker so open diff.?? I have seen a very very hot GU IV lift the front left off the ground and drive more than 50m with it in the air 200mm under full noise after a left hand turn! Very cool! lol.