PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Nissan 2000 ST Fourbie

eaglewing74
28th April 2011, 07:40 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm Steve, live on the northside of Brisbane and I currently have a 2000 ST 3L Turbo Diesel Wagon.

I found this site/forum whilst surfing about looking up info about Patrols.

I'm having some issues with a serious lack of power when going up hills, blowing some black smoke and fuel economy isn't the best.

Recently had a basic service done. (oil, fuel and air cleaner, new oil) This gave it a bit more oomph for a little while but became sluggish again not long after. Also if I put an injector cleaner in such as Diesel Power, same deal...bit more oomph for a bit but then sluggish again not long after.

Have been told that changing the oil to 5W30 should fix the problem but have been laughed at from other people saying that won't fix it at all.

I have been told by a mate of mine who owns a spare parts shop to give the Three Bond Diesel De Coke spray a go.

Any ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

katwoman
28th April 2011, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the forum, Steve. Someone will have an answer for you soon enough

growler2058
28th April 2011, 07:45 AM
Gday Steve theyre a good friendly mob here full of useful info and advice welcome aboard

AB
28th April 2011, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the forum Steve, theres plenty of 3 litre owners on here who should be able to help but if you don't get a response here you may want to post this question under another category as a lot of people dont read the introductions section.

YNOT
28th April 2011, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Lack of power and blowing black smoke indicates incomplete combustion which could be caused by a number of things, faulty injectors, insufficient boost from turbo, restricted air intake just to name a few. I'm assuming the check engine light is not on during normal driving as you have not mentioned it.
You can try changing the oil (personally I'd be using 15w40) and the de coke treatment and they may give some improvement but I really can't see either of them fixing the problem.
Fitting boost and exhaust temperature gauges would assist greatly in diagnosis.

Tony

Dhuck
28th April 2011, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Steve

Sir Roofy
28th April 2011, 09:31 AM
welcome aboard STEVE join in and enjoy

Clunk
28th April 2011, 04:34 PM
g'day mate, welcome aboard

big_fletch
28th April 2011, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, as a 3.0 owner I would also suggest removing and cleaning the maf sensor on the air intake as could be a possible reason as well.. Clean it with something along the lines of circuit board/contact cleaner available from autobarn or bursons (just spray it all out without touching the end of the sensor)..
After cleaning disconnect the battery for about half an hour to reset the computer.. Let us know how you go

Fletcha

Finly Owner
28th April 2011, 11:08 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Steve, once you get her running if you want a good bunch of guys to go bush with just join one of our forum trips usually hosted by Big Rig and Dhuck.

Tim

Dark 1
29th April 2011, 12:01 AM
Welcome mate, have a poke around & join in when your ready.

timbar
29th April 2011, 01:08 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Bob
29th April 2011, 09:05 AM
Welcome Steve . Join in the conversations and enjoy

Freddo
29th April 2011, 09:38 AM
Hi

I'm brand new to this forum but noticed your problem Steve whilst reading some of the posts. I had same issue with my 2004 3litre turbo diesel - the problem was the MAF sensor as noted further down by someone else. Basically it was serviced and a month or so later no power. Took it back in and Nissan charged several hundred to change the MAF (master air flow sensor - i think) and all good again. The recycle air (some minute oil trace in it) thru the air cleaner and back over the sensor is possible cause. If MAF dont read correctly (its likely to be a simply pitot tube or thermal mass inferred measurement) then the fuel add and therefore combustion is incorrect affecting power significantly.

Regards Freddo

YNOT
29th April 2011, 09:57 AM
MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor so you were close, and you are correct. The MAF sensor can be contaminated with oil mist from the crank case ventilation system that flows back up the inlet duct after the engine is shut down. This can sometimes be fixed by removing and cleaning the sensor, in some cases the sensor may be faulty and need to be replaced. Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?597-Checking-and-cleaning-MAF-sensors&highlight=checking+cleaning

Long term it's worth considering fitting a PCV (positive crank case ventilation) filter to capture the oil mist and stop the problem from reoccuring.

Tony

patch697
3rd May 2011, 06:33 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul

Maxhead
3rd May 2011, 06:54 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate