PDA

View Full Version : Lay it on me.

michaelgreeny
19th March 2017, 06:30 PM
Righteo fellas,

I've readied myself for anything people say I need to do here, in case it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm going over the car before a 5 week trip from Adelaide to Kimberleys and back and have only just replaced the intercooler and have noticed some fairly horrendous rusting as you can see in the photo. Anyone wiling to give an opinion as to what needs to be done, if anything?

Cheers

GQtdauto
19th March 2017, 06:35 PM
Ohhh that's bad , you need to get it looked at , the vibrations from corrugations will rattle any rusted bits to pieces leaving you stranded , you must live near the coast and done a bit of beach driving for it to be that bad .
It is possible that it's only surface rust but I would not be banking on it .

PeeBee
19th March 2017, 06:37 PM
I would be concerned about the external rust on the injector lines, and would want to know how deep it goes. If its 'true surface rust' clean it off, but it appears 'scaley' so perhaps could impact the integrity of the lines. I would not be too concerned with the nuts, wire brush and provide a protective coating like CRC

michaelgreeny
19th March 2017, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys,
I'll probably replace the injector lines given they aren't too expensive and the rust seems fairly well set in. Is it worth taking the injectors out and giving them a good clean to get rid of the rust around the base or is taking injectors out too risky/the rust wont make any major problems?
Assuming I'll replace them within the next 40,000k's

PeeBee
19th March 2017, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys,
I'll probably replace the injector lines given they aren't too expensive and the rust seems fairly well set in. Is it worth taking the injectors out and giving them a good clean to get rid of the rust around the base or is taking injectors out too risky/the rust wont make any major problems?
Assuming I'll replace them within the next 40,000k's
Leave the injectors alone unless there is a running or performance issue. The rust won't affect anything inside the engine I suspect - more cosmetic. Likely to be a problem for whoever inherits your old injectors if they get reco'd as the nut dimensions might be reduced

dom14
19th March 2017, 10:45 PM
Righteo fellas,

I've readied myself for anything people say I need to do here, in case it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm going over the car before a 5 week trip from Adelaide to Kimberleys and back and have only just replaced the intercooler and have noticed some fairly horrendous rusting as you can see in the photo. Anyone wiling to give an opinion as to what needs to be done, if anything?

Cheers

Yeah, I wouldn't like that amount of rust around injectors, but asking the question "why" and answer it accordingly, whether it's not unusual or not might give some peace of mind.

michaelgreeny
20th March 2017, 09:02 AM
Cheers guys, appreciate it. The bloke I bought it off of was quite keen on beach driving I think so I knew there would be some rust around, slowly getting through replacing the bits that need it.

threedogs
20th March 2017, 11:15 AM
Cheers guys, appreciate it. The bloke I bought it off of was quite keen on beach driving I think so I knew there would be some rust around, slowly getting through replacing the bits that need it.

Also check your steel brake lines underneath, it may have started to rust your chassis
give it a decent under wash as best you can..then apply some sort of protective coating