PDA

View Full Version : Dash light comes on when I I put foot on brake(sometime)

dom14
18th March 2017, 09:19 PM
Hey Guys,

The above happens occasionally and I'm wondering what on earth's going on with the electric's of my troll(RB30 stock setup)!!!

I would stop the car by pressing on brakes. The engine's still running. My foot is still on brake.
I pull the hand brake lever. Then I turn off the head lights, parking lights, dash lights etc by turning the switch anti-clockwise. Everything turn off, except the dash lights. I take the foot off the brake pedal, dash lights go off.
I press the brake pedal again, dash light don't seem to be coming back on. It doesn't seem to be making any difference whether the engine's still running or not.
Somehow, the brake pedal seem to have effect on dash lights, effectively over riding the parking lights turn switch(which obviously turn on the dash lights as well).
What on earth is going on?
Any ideas, explanations, thoughts?!
It doesn't seem to be happening all the time though. I tried it reproducing it again, and it didn't happen.
But, it's still doing it regularly.

mudnut
18th March 2017, 09:20 PM
Check the trailer plug wiring, Dom.

GQtdauto
18th March 2017, 09:26 PM
Get an exorcist !

mudnut
18th March 2017, 10:33 PM
Never seen an auto exorsist before:P

dom14
18th March 2017, 10:47 PM
Never seen an auto exorsist before:P

Yendor? and his assistant Mudnut? :D ;)

my third 256
19th March 2017, 08:24 AM
HAVE YOU DONE ANTHING ELECTRICAL TOO THE TROLL lately or any thing mechanical might have pinched a wire

threedogs
19th March 2017, 11:16 AM
Your brake lights dont need ignition to work, if Im right,,,lol
Linda Blair's number is 555-6747 good luck

dom14
19th March 2017, 12:47 PM
HAVE YOU DONE ANTHING ELECTRICAL TOO THE TROLL lately or any thing mechanical might have pinched a wire

I've been doing heaps of electrical work lately, but I've been kinda self confident to not to muck around with electrics, but not impossible that I may have done something not right.

FPCU(Fuel Pump Conrtol Unit) is disconnected from the six wire plug that goes into it and FPCU's job is replaced by a PEEL tachometric safey switch. I also wired a temperature control type coolant temperature gauge.
The other day I realized I used a direct battery line(always powered) to the temperature gauge. I disconnected that, and then used a
+12V line from the BROWN wire that take the ignition on +12V to the FPCU(now disconnected as the PEEL swich is doing the job).
So, I didn't think I did anything wrong there. And I'm super careful with connecting wires. I use standard crimping type connectors & also apply a dab a of epoxy into it so the plastic insulation cap of the connector won't drop and leaving it for a possible short circuit.

dom14
19th March 2017, 12:51 PM
Your brake lights dont need ignition to work, if Im right,,,lol
Linda Blair's number is 555-6747 good luck

I enjoyed the "Scare Movie" parodied version of her peeing on the floor. I couldn't stop laughing for hours. :D

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2tLz_cP50

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKu1UIlMoP0

Yendor
19th March 2017, 03:47 PM
I agree with Mudnut, check the trailer plug first.

garett
19th March 2017, 04:18 PM
i know astra's if you put the wrong globe in the tail light leave the parkers on you can't turn the engine off...

dom14
19th March 2017, 09:28 PM
I agree with Mudnut, check the trailer plug first.

By the looks of it, trailer plug is ok. I couldn't notice any degradation of the wires/connectors or any short circuits.

But, I noticed both front parking light globes are blown. It's the globes.

Can it be the reason for strange behaviour?
I'll have to replace the globes tomorrow.

Thanx mate.

mudnut
20th March 2017, 12:17 AM
Check all of the earth wires to the light assemblies and where the bulb meets the holders. The current will flow via the easiest path so that could be the cause.

Throbbinhood
20th March 2017, 10:58 AM
I'd be leaning towards an earth issue also. I had a similarish issue, indicator lights coming in with the brakes, brakes coming on with the indicators. Earths had degraded. New earths and better than ever.

threedogs
20th March 2017, 02:15 PM
Is the patrol on the road or just a project of yours???

I was lucky enough to see the original film at the Drive-in years ago lol

dom14
20th March 2017, 11:12 PM
Is the patrol on the road or just a project of yours???

Both, I reckon. :)

I was lucky enough to see the original film at the Drive-in years ago lol

That would've been in early seventies. I'm beginning to imagine the reason you watched the movie at the drive-in theatre. ;)

dom14
21st March 2017, 08:57 PM
It was the stupid brake light globe.
The two filaments of the globe were internally fused on one end(right hand side brake light globe), hence the reason for bizarre behaviour of the dash lights. The rain/water got nothing to do with it, other than possible moisture/humidity causing it to fuse permanently(or semi permanently).

mudnut
21st March 2017, 09:16 PM
Good find, Dom.

dom14
22nd March 2017, 01:27 AM
Good find, Dom.

Here is the real problem.

The small filament was sort of "growing" a pointy "tentacle" and joining the bigger one right next to it, and eventually managed to fuse the two filaments. Since the braking and rear parking light filaments are fused on the same globe, no doubt why it was turning on the dash lights when the brake is pressed, 'cos parking lights and dash lights share the same power line.