PDA

View Full Version : G'day. New to an MQ

NT0351
27th April 2011, 10:20 PM
Hey all.
I bought an MQ L28 a few months ago as a sort of impulse buy. Long story short, My neighbour got a canary (Major defect notice) on the car and de to unforeseen circumstances, it was up for sale only weeks after getting it re roadworthied. Where i bought it for $1000. New parts include:
Full suspension bush kit
New Koni shocks
5 new Maxxis tyres
Brake calipers, and booster rebuilt
New exedy clutch

Bad points are:
The relocated fuel tank was a dodge job so new fuel pumps and filler hose is needed.
Bit of rust, nothing major.
It's smurf blue
Interior is grotty (oily)
needs 1/4 window seals and some other little hard to find bits

I can post pics if anyones interested... Currently being re painted so only a few old ones atm.
Cheers, Noel.

YNOT
27th April 2011, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Noel. Definately add photos when you can, we love photos here!
We have quite a few MQ/MK owners on here so you are in good company.
MQ's need help in this poll; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1340-What-Model-Patrol-do-you-own/page6

Tony

Finly Owner
27th April 2011, 10:40 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Noel. Good buying with all that suspension and tyres. I'm jealous.
Quarter window seals are pretty much stuffed in everything I find. Looking forward to picks

Tim

timbar
28th April 2011, 01:25 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer
post as many pics as you like mate

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Clunk
28th April 2011, 02:20 AM
G'day Noel, welcome aboard mate, would love to see some piccies if you're able

growler2058
28th April 2011, 05:22 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard they're a good mob here full of useful info and advice

Bob
28th April 2011, 06:45 AM
Welcome Noel. Join in and enjoy

AB
28th April 2011, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the forum Noel, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Dhuck
28th April 2011, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the forum Noel

NT0351
29th April 2011, 10:23 PM
Looks pretty rough here but actally is mechanically spot on...
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/tonko351/73576_453363345962_753340962_5551891_2468258_n.jpg

After grinding away some of the rubbish.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/tonko351/13122010316-1.jpg

Bigrig
29th April 2011, 10:27 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

NT0351
30th April 2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll post pics when it's painted which will be monday hopefully.
Now some bog to sand...

Bigrig
30th April 2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll post pics when it's painted which will be monday hopefully.
Now some bog to sand...

Look forward to seeing it mate - good luck with paint job!!

Finly Owner
30th April 2011, 09:31 PM
Noel they actually came out in a very close shade of this colour, although, not all the flares and bumpers etc were painted. They were black.

Tim

MQ MAD
1st May 2011, 07:34 PM
L28 great motor,but boy they like the juice
Another saved MQ

Yippie
We mite get the MQ/MK club upto a total of 5 hey Tim LOL

big_fletch
1st May 2011, 07:42 PM
Good to see you joined up Noel, my persistence paid off I see Haha.. If ya need a hand with anything on the troll ill pm u my mobile number, u know where I work anyways lol..
Feel free to have a browse of the forum and join in the convos mate

Fletcha

NT0351
1st May 2011, 08:27 PM
Another saved MQ

Mine is only running on BBQ fuel only at the moment. So doesn't seem too bad. I did just drain 70 Litres of Super out of it so it's been a while since it ran on petrol.

NT0351
1st May 2011, 08:29 PM
Good to see you joined up Noel, my persistence paid off I see Haha.. If ya need a hand with anything on the troll ill pm u my mobile number, u know where I work anyways lol..
Feel free to have a browse of the forum and join in the convos mate
Fletcha
Thanks mate. Yeah peer pressure works well like that. lol
I sent you a message on here somehow but can't work out how to get back to it. haha...

big_fletch
1st May 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks mate. Yeah peer pressure works well like that. lol
I sent you a message on here somehow but can't work out how to get back to it. haha...

Yer I got your msg mate, I sent ya my mobile in a private msg so if ya need some electrical work done just let me know man, always glad to help out lol

Finly Owner
1st May 2011, 10:27 PM
Another saved MQ

Yippie
We mite get the MQ/MK club upto a total of 5 hey Tim LOL
We've passed that mate, where you been?

Tim

MQ MAD
2nd May 2011, 10:59 AM
We've passed that mate, where you been?

Tim

Hidin in the shed
Either the work shed or the toy room
Nah mid way thru fitting the turbo donk in the MK ute
Then the body lift , then if i dont get the rags before then, maybe remove the steel tray and fit an alloy tray

patch697
3rd May 2011, 06:24 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul

Maxhead
3rd May 2011, 06:44 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

NT0351
4th May 2011, 10:00 PM
Didn't get much done on my day off unfortunately. Just more stereo stuff and ran the lines for the air compressor and horns... Must get pics soon.

Sir Roofy
4th May 2011, 10:03 PM
welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay
looks like a good project you have going there

Dark 1
5th May 2011, 05:55 PM
Welcome mate have a poke around & join in when your ready.

Bob
5th May 2011, 07:30 PM
that is a good project.

NT0351
7th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Got alot done today. more paint on and made custom sub box. I got my new amps too so the stereo is now all Infinity kappa apart from the front speakers and subs so i have 2x Kappa perfect splits in the front, 2x Kappa 5's in the rear doors 2x Kappa 6x9s in the rear 1/4 panel area and 2x12" subs under the back seat. Running off 3 amps but no headunit yet...

wildgu6
9th May 2011, 06:20 PM
Welcome aboard Noel,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.
Sounds like a good buy buddy, unfortunately you got to take the bad with the good.

Good luck buddy and Enjoy the ride.
Happy trekin, stay safe

Cheers Pete

NissanGQ4.2
9th May 2011, 07:28 PM
Welcome 2 the forum Noel,

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Cheers

Todd

NT0351
1st July 2011, 09:42 PM
Been a while, Patrol is now semi-gloss black with a lot of electrical gear purchased ready to go on. Namely Compressor, train horns, HID spotties, 4 amps, headunit, 3 subs, 6 speakers, EL Falcon thermos and central locking stuffing with the stock system that is causing no end of headaches. Fuel system is nearly done too, almost ready to go on petrol with a holley fuel pump (for the 460ci V8 conversion)

GUtsy ute
1st July 2011, 09:58 PM
Hi NT,
Would love to see some pics of it as it is now please.
Sounds like you've been busy with the mods and paint!

Cheers

BenGood
2nd July 2011, 10:20 AM
Oh my GOD!!!! You simply MUST get some photo's up here!!! This project sounds like another piece of history being made!!!!

NT0351
22nd July 2011, 10:56 PM
Been a while, the shed time will do that to ya! I'll take some pics when the sun comes out and i finally have a day off (30 straight so far) The electrical stuff is still killing me, had an alternator literally explode and surge. But have been driving it around the farm. still working on getting it to run on petrol too which is becoming a nightmare. New carpet is on order and welding up a frame for the EB S pack seats to go in after roadworthy.
The little things seem to be the worst, finding hinges and a handle for the rear window seems to be like finding gold.
fun with cars eh?

Finly Owner
22nd July 2011, 11:26 PM
Been a while, the shed time will do that to ya! I'll take some pics when the sun comes out and i finally have a day off (30 straight so far) The electrical stuff is still killing me, had an alternator literally explode and surge. But have been driving it around the farm. still working on getting it to run on petrol too which is becoming a nightmare. New carpet is on order and welding up a frame for the EB S pack seats to go in after roadworthy.
The little things seem to be the worst, finding hinges and a handle for the rear window seems to be like finding gold.
fun with cars eh?
Never seen one in good condition yet.

Tim

MQ MAD
25th July 2011, 09:46 AM
Never seen one in good condition yet.

Tim

Not wrong , rarer than rocking horse stuff
I think from memory,
The wagon and the SWB are different in the 3 bolt holes

Now if someone like me,was smart enuf he would be making new fibreglass ones
But there just aint enuf demand

Finly Owner
25th July 2011, 10:35 PM
Not wrong , rarer than rocking horse stuff
I think from memory,
The wagon and the SWB are different in the 3 bolt holes

Now if someone like me,was smart enuf he would be making new fibreglass ones
But there just aint enuf demand
I don't know about that Corey, you seen how many MK/MQ owners we have now? And I'm sure you could get Nissbits and patrolapart to take some too.

Tim

NT0351
2nd August 2011, 10:55 PM
How could they break so easily though? they look solid enough. i might just get one made out of aluminium in the end. trying to find a RH hinge for the glass too. I kinda set back progress when i took the car out bush and flogged it a bit much. haha. New clutch is ordered from work though. and carby is being rebuilt at the moment... I'm buying a new daily driver and going on holidays soon so progress has slowed to a crawl on the old girl...

Finly Owner
2nd August 2011, 11:09 PM
How could they break so easily though? they look solid enough. i might just get one made out of aluminium in the end. trying to find a RH hinge for the glass too. I kinda set back progress when i took the car out bush and flogged it a bit much. haha. New clutch is ordered from work though. and carby is being rebuilt at the moment... I'm buying a new daily driver and going on holidays soon so progress has slowed to a crawl on the old girl...Let us know if you have no luck with hinge.

Tim