PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent wipers timing

Brissieboy
8th March 2017, 05:10 PM
Is there a way to re-programme the timing of the intermittent windscreen wipers on a GU Y61?
As standard, they appear to have been selected by someone sitting at a desk who has never driven in conditions that require their use.

threedogs
11th March 2017, 09:37 AM
Bumped ,,,,, anyone???
Is it possible to put a "pot" in the system
to vary the stroke difference,, ??

Kennedy
11th March 2017, 09:04 PM
Just having a guess....as some models have adjustable timing for the intermittent wiper setting....would it be possible to transplant the bits into one that didn't have it?

dom14
11th March 2017, 09:57 PM
Is there a way to re-programme the timing of the intermittent windscreen wipers on a GU Y61?
As standard, they appear to have been selected by someone sitting at a desk who has never driven in conditions that require their use.

There are add on electrical kits you can buy to address the issue.
Yes, I agree. Most of them perform as the time intervals they work is "designed"(decided) by a pencil pusher that has never driven a car. It shouldn't be rocket science to design a knob that you can turn to adjust the interval time, but you can buy a one as an add on. :)

my third 256
12th March 2017, 06:57 AM
could you use the dimmer switch for the instrument pannell then all looks the same
i mean an extra one

dom14
12th March 2017, 12:20 PM
could you use the dimmer switch for the instrument pannell then all looks the same
i mean an extra one

?
I thought the OP was asking about changing the timing intervals of the intermittent wiper operation.

taslucas
12th March 2017, 12:30 PM
?
I thought the OP was asking about changing the timing intervals of the intermittent wiper operation.
Yeah I think he means adding another dimmer switch as variable timing for the wipers.

>>>tappin from tassie

Clunk
12th March 2017, 02:37 PM
Just having a guess....as some models have adjustable timing for the intermittent wiper setting....would it be possible to transplant the bits into one that didn't have it?
Yep my thoughts exactly...... although I would have thought that would have been a standard feature on all GUs though........ my old RX GQ and my ST GQ have this feature

taslucas
12th March 2017, 04:21 PM
Would nissfast have the info? Todd?

>>>tappin from tassie

Clunk
12th March 2017, 05:04 PM
Or maybe the OP has a DX model......

threedogs
12th March 2017, 05:22 PM
there are about 4 different settings on the left stalk you can use.
Ive found them to be adequate,,,,,,,
Maybe find what colour wires they are and fit the "pot" between them

Clunk
12th March 2017, 05:29 PM
there are about 4 different settings on the left stalk you can use.
Ive found them to be adequate,,,,,,,
Maybe find what colour wires they are and fit the "pot" between them
So yours isn't totally variable then like a potentiometer?

threedogs
12th March 2017, 05:32 PM
So yours isn't totally variable then like a potentiometer?

a POT is variable mine is 4 setting of different intervals

Clunk
12th March 2017, 05:35 PM
a POT is variable mine is 4 setting of different intervals
I know what a POT is TD, so I'm guessing yours isn't like the bottom on in this pic then (which is from a GU ST wagon), the top one is from a DX ute

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/108.jpg

Winnie
12th March 2017, 06:13 PM
I know what a POT is TD, so I'm guessing yours isn't like the bottom on in this pic then (which is from a GU ST wagon), the top one is from a DX ute

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/108.jpg
Mine and I assume TDs are more like a variable capacitor, not a potentiometer. 4 selectable speeds and nothing in between.

Clunk
12th March 2017, 06:38 PM
Mine and I assume TDs are more like a variable capacitor, not a potentiometer. 4 selectable speeds and nothing in between.
I think I get ya..... I've been searching for other stalks and did find one that looked stubbier.

Mine just has a fluid movement, not a step movement

Winnie
12th March 2017, 07:06 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/109.jpg

Is yours like this? There is a step in them but if been used a lot the step isn't very noticeable.
It is only 3 speed though not 4 like is said before.

Clunk
12th March 2017, 08:12 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/109.jpg

Is yours like this? There is a step in them but if been used a lot the step isn't very noticeable.
It is only 3 speed though not 4 like is said before.

yep same one Winnie, just went out and had a feel, there's one very distinct step, the other quite faint so probably why I never really noticed it before, actually time it as well, slowest setting is 11sec, next step is 8, next is 5 and the end is 2 seconds (also timed between the positions and get the same times)....... makes me wonder if the RX was indeed the same then, but I had a round stalk on that one......... so now I understand what threedogs is on about (for once hahahahaha). I can only presume that all Patrols variable wiper stalks are the same stepped type then.

So if the OP has no stepped variable wiper speed then I guess he has a DX stalk

this is the other style for the GU I found

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/110.jpg

threedogs
13th March 2017, 09:57 AM
Clunk happy you now "get" me.lol lol
Mine is the same as the bottom stalk, GU ST

Brissieboy
16th March 2017, 05:25 PM
It's a 2015 GU Y61 ST. It has intermittent wipers but they are only at several preset switched intervals which I cannot change.
I am assuming these settings would be in the computer somewhere and should be editable, rather than a separate control unit, but that may not be the case.
I will have to investigate further or have a chat with a Nissan man next chance I get to see what (if anything) is possible.

Clunk
16th March 2017, 05:57 PM
It's a 2015 GU Y61 ST. It has intermittent wipers but they are only at several preset switched intervals which I cannot change.
I am assuming these settings would be in the computer somewhere and should be editable, rather than a separate control unit, but that may not be the case.
I will have to investigate further or have a chat with a Nissan man next chance I get to see what (if anything) is possible.

so what's the timing increment of yours as it is now? I find my increments of 2,5, 8 and 11 seconds suffice.............. not that I previously paid any attention to how fast or slow the wipers were going.

threedogs
17th March 2017, 03:16 PM
with intervals like Clunks why would you
change it I must be missing something,,lol,,lol

Brissieboy
19th March 2017, 12:25 PM
It's mostly the first one in my case. The time is so short that there is a barely perceptible pause between sweeps - no different from running slow speed continuous.. The others are around 4 to 5 seconds, 8 seconds and about 15 seconds.
Ideally I would spread them out to something like a 2 second pause between sweeps min, up to around 12 seconds max.
This is not something that I am likely to slit my throat over. I just though that I would ask if there was a way to do re-time it. Looks like the short answer is 'no'.

threedogs
19th March 2017, 02:34 PM
I can understand the need for say a 15 sec delay, I tend to just give it a flick when visiblity
is poor. There is not much between on and the quickest sweep. Like youself I can live with it
Makes you wonder who said all these intervals are correct for Aust conditions,,,,lol

Clunk
19th March 2017, 07:19 PM
It's mostly the first one in my case. The time is so short that there is a barely perceptible pause between sweeps - no different from running slow speed continuous.. The others are around 4 to 5 seconds, 8 seconds and about 15 seconds.
Ideally I would spread them out to something like a 2 second pause between sweeps min, up to around 12 seconds max.
This is not something that I am likely to slit my throat over. I just though that I would ask if there was a way to do re-time it. Looks like the short answer is 'no'.
To be honest, I don't know if there is a mod for it