PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rotors - what grease for front wheel manual hubs and brake caliper slides?

Jonesy_sa
7th March 2017, 07:18 PM
Hi
I'm replacing the front hubs and at least one sides bearings. I have Castrol HTB 2 for the bearings but I read somewhere the manual hub should be cleaned and lubed with 'general grease'; is this true? I assumed HTB as its all some same location. Further; what is the recommended lubricant for the sliding frame/bolts of the brake calipers?
Cheers

threedogs
8th March 2017, 10:21 AM
have a search for MudRunnerTD DIY thread on wheel bearing replacement
Its very comprehensive and well worth seeking out

Plasnart
8th March 2017, 12:27 PM
Hi
I'm replacing the front hubs and at least one sides bearings. I have Castrol HTB 2 for the bearings but I read somewhere the manual hub should be cleaned and lubed with 'general grease'; is this true? I assumed HTB as its all some same location. Further; what is the recommended lubricant for the sliding frame/bolts of the brake calipers?
Cheers

have a search for MudRunnerTD DIY thread on wheel bearing replacement
Its very comprehensive and well worth seeking out

It's here:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28969-DIY-CV-and-Swivel-Hub-Rebuild-Thread

Jonesy_sa
9th March 2017, 09:51 PM
Thank you for the great link however I could not see an answer to my two main question?
What grease for the manual hub gears and what grease for the sliding component of the brake caliper?
If I missed it which post number was this detail covered?

lucus30
9th March 2017, 10:30 PM
Manual hub gears I'd use a waterproof grease but it really only needs a slight coating don't glob it in

The caliper slides use caliper grease though I've heard people use high temp anti seize

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

johno90
17th April 2017, 05:56 PM
HTB for everything in the hub
Caliper grease for the slides (expensive) but worth it