PDA

View Full Version : Kemo timer mod.

Seanb_2800
4th March 2017, 01:12 PM
Hey guys. I just done the kemo timer mod so i can run metal tip glow plugs safely. I got it so the light turns off after 30 seconds (very touchy adjustments). I have a couple questions for anyone else that has done it.
1. Does the time adjustment vibrate and change the timer at all?
And 2. How do i test for power at the glow plug rail. I have a test light. I dont know how to use a multimeter so hoping a test light will do but where do i connect it?

The car does start no worries but the instructions tell me to check it

Daveyboyjunior
6th March 2017, 06:12 PM
Hi Sean
I didn't know there was any issue with running metal tipped glow plugs.
I had read they last longer than the ceramic, that's all.

Seanb_2800
6th March 2017, 08:37 PM
I read that if the standard glow (which lasts about 5minutes) glows metal plugs that long they can cause cracks in the head.

Rumcajs
7th March 2017, 06:23 PM
Hi Sean
I didn't know there was any issue with running metal tipped glow plugs.
I had read they last longer than the ceramic, that's all.

The metal tip glow plugs don't last longer then ceramic ones, indeed their lifespan is significantly shorter (20K vs 100K) especially in the way used in ZD30.

The timer needs power reset to use new setting.

There is a plug in front of the intercooler (on Di at least) just ahead of rocker cover on the bracket with single wire (heavier gauge) which is the power supply for the glow plugs "buzz bar". You can poke your test light in there just watch for not shorting against the engine parts....

Regards

Seanb_2800
7th March 2017, 07:22 PM
Awesome thankyou

Daveyboyjunior
10th March 2017, 08:10 AM
Ok, thanks for that, so what's the kemo mod, this is interesting!

Seanb_2800
11th March 2017, 09:19 AM
The original glow plug timer runs the glow plugs (even after the light on the dash is out) for roughly 5minutes (untill its at operating temp) this mod is a timer installed that cuts the power to the glow plugs after a set time (30 seconds or whatever is set at).

Ive read metal tip glow plugs contribute to cracks in the head if they run for too long. i just recently purchased new plugs not realising they were metal tip (i asked the guy for glow plugs to suit my car) then i googled the difference between metal tip and ceramic tip etc. this mod was cheaper then the difference for ceramic plugs, so in my money situation at the moment i went this way about it.

Seanb_2800
11th March 2017, 09:20 AM
I would post a pic of my timer but i dont know how to on here

threedogs
11th March 2017, 09:28 AM
There is a thread on glow plug timers ,might be worth a search.

To post up Pics click "go advanced" and follow instructions from there
no too difficult IMO

Seanb_2800
11th March 2017, 09:37 AM
There is a thread on glow plug timers ,might be worth a search.

To post up Pics click "go advanced" and follow instructions from there
no too difficult IMO

Thanks. But all i see when i click advanced is the usual submit and preview and the aditional options 'automatically parse links in text' and subscription

threedogs
11th March 2017, 09:41 AM
click "go advanced" then scroll down to "manage attachments"
then follow where you get your pics from