PDA

View Full Version : Electrical airconditioner compresser

mudnut
28th February 2017, 04:45 PM
G'day, all. The Old Trol's aircon compressor is shot, so I have been toying with the idea of installing an electric airconditoner compressor from a Prius or some other more modern vehicle.

This would be advantageous in that there would be no need to run a belt, tensioner and clutch, and the unit would also be more resistant to mud, dust and water.

The control circuitry is the complicated thing, as it uses a high voltage three phase system. Although I would run it as basically, low medium and high.

I have had a bit of a search if anyone has done the conversion but have not been successful. Ideas anyone?

Mike02Ti
28th February 2017, 05:09 PM
That is a cool idea (pun intended)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Turtle_au
28th February 2017, 05:15 PM
Have you ever run a 12volt compressor driven fridge off your vehicle?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

mudnut
28th February 2017, 05:25 PM
No, actually. I run a three-way absorbtion method fridge. What are you saying? That they are pathetic? The Higher voltage runs a lot differently than a 12 volt motor. Minus the amperage used to run the clutch, I am hoping a 70 amp alternator will handle it.

Turtle_au
28th February 2017, 05:31 PM
Just had quick look online. You would be better off with a complete system like they fit to hotrods and retro vehicles. They draw about 25 to 35 amps.

mudnut
28th February 2017, 05:35 PM
Just had quick look online. You would be better off with a complete system like they fit to hotrods and retro vehicles. They draw about 25 to 35 amps.

Probably. I was thinking of just running an AC inverter, and fitting a capacitor to one set of windings, and an inductor to another. With the third set running as per normal it creates a rotating magnetic field that acts like the three phase power supply.

http://www.rencool.com.au/product/md-18-series/ Something like this could be a goer too, especially that it runs soft start technology.

Or these, https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/blog/12-v-air-conditioning-compressor-how-can-you-decide-if-one-is-right-for-you/

Turtle_au
28th February 2017, 06:38 PM
AC inverter, lead, lag windings, etc. I think a pulley,belt and tensioner are easier.
And I'm an electrician/fridgie.

mudnut
28th February 2017, 08:28 PM
AC inverter, lead, lag windings, etc. I think a pulley,belt and tensioner are easier.
And I'm an electrician/fridgie.

Simpler yes, but bloody expensive to repair after a dunking. I have always used the aircon every week to keep the oil up to the seal. The unit was serviced a couple of years ago too. I have been quoted up to a grand to get it fixed, so I do not want to invest in a system that is prone to failure.

dom14
7th March 2017, 02:35 AM
I don't think you're likely to get away with less than a grand with an electric AC compressor setup, 'cos everything you're looking at will be a custom job, be it you do the work or you get somebody else to do the work.
Your mechanical belt driven stock compressor failure is most likely due to old age of wear & tear.
You can source a used AC compressor or buy a new one, but either way you should be able to getaway with fair bit less than a grand.
You only need to take the vehicle to an AC mechanic to get it dehumidified & re-gassed.
Electric compressor idea is a good thing as a project, but I have my doubts about it being any cheaper.

GeeYou8
7th March 2017, 07:50 AM
Altronics have a kit for a 3 phase converter, you would still need to get 240v to it, your efficiency would be pretty poor. When my alternator died I measured the current draw from the battery with the aircon fans running, 27 amps, we drove 200km home in 40C without aircon. With the full 70 amps & 12 volts minus 1/3 for fans, if you had 80% efficiency in your inverter & converter you would be down to around 400w available at the compressor at full alternator load. That wont cool much, and you would have to turn everything else electrical off. Or you could run a cooling suit and a thermo electric fridge.
Graham

BillsGU
7th March 2017, 08:33 AM
How about a cool suit fitted to each seat and a box full of dry ice?

Seriously, your AC compressor is sealed. How would anything get into it? You would be more likely to damage the alternator or starter motor by crap getting into them.

mudnut
7th March 2017, 10:53 AM
My mistake, I said serviced when I should of said replaced. The only thing that could of happened is that the seal was faulty, or crud got in there. To have to shell out every few years for a compressor is nuts, so that is why I am looking at alternatives.

dom14
7th March 2017, 11:20 AM
My mistake, I said serviced when I should of said replaced. The only thing that could of happened is that the seal was faulty, or crud got in there. To have to shell out every few years for a compressor is nuts, so that is why I am looking at alternatives.

Yeah, that's not good. Compressors should go for many many years without dying.
I reckon something else is not going right with your AC system for compressors to fail like that.

mudnut
7th March 2017, 01:58 PM
Either that or they used an elcheapo from a wreckers or something.

dom14
7th March 2017, 05:39 PM
Either that or they used an elcheapo from a wreckers or something.

I have vague memory of you mentioning about sourcing a brand new one for around $300 or something.

BigRAWesty
7th March 2017, 05:54 PM
I think you've been unlucky.
25 years and 5**,***km on the old gq mate and it only ever got touched to be regassed when the alloy tube to condenser snapped. .
Imo your over complicating a simply thing.
I'm going with cheap part or poor install being at fault here.
Sure you may do a idler bearing after a few mud runs but mate you gotta expect issues with mud.
Mud kills cars..
You want less maintenance steer around the puddles. .

mudnut
7th March 2017, 07:07 PM
I usually do take the chicken track, but there is always that time you have to grin and hope for the best.

dom14
7th March 2017, 09:25 PM
I think you've been unlucky.
25 years and 5**,***km on the old gq mate and it only ever got touched to be regassed when the alloy tube to condenser snapped. .
Imo your over complicating a simply thing.
I'm going with cheap part or poor install being at fault here.
Sure you may do a idler bearing after a few mud runs but mate you gotta expect issues with mud.
Mud kills cars..
You want less maintenance steer around the puddles. .

That is why I pedantically avoid mud and stick with sand. ;) :D

dom14
7th March 2017, 09:27 PM
I usually do take the chicken track, but there is always that time you have to grin and hope for the best.

Or do what I do. Imagine mud as "devil" and avoid it. :D
With 15psi tyre pressure, sand is your mate. :)

mudnut
7th March 2017, 09:41 PM
It could be sand that is the problem too. It gets into every nook and cranny.

dom14
7th March 2017, 10:35 PM
It could be sand that is the problem too. It gets into every nook and cranny.

Yeah, but when mud dries up, it turns into a fine sand like bulldust.

What I would do if I'm you is to replace the compressor with a good quality used one(with warranty) or a new one if you can find a one under $500. Re-gassing should be cheap if you fit the AC compressor yourself with new O rings. O rings only cost few peanuts.
Since you've already lost the refrigerant from the leak, it should not be much of a problem.

Used compressor should be around $100-200.
I reckon you can also try using a one from VL or Skyline and modify the mounting bracket.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AIR-CON-A-C-COMPRESSOR-BRACKET-HOLDEN-VL-COMMODORE-CALAIS-BERLINA-RB30ET-TURBO-/112318056152?hash=item1a26ad86d8:g:f8sAAOSwal5YFD6 k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Compressor-DKS16H-9260054N00-9034045010-for-Nissan-Patrol-Y60-TD42-TB42-RB30-/152436721755?hash=item237defc85b:g:ph8AAOSwfVpYq97 e&vxp=mtr

BillsGU
8th March 2017, 11:46 AM
If you fit it yourself make sure you tell whoever is re gassing it so they know to put the correct amount of oil in it prior to using the vacuum pump.

threedogs
8th March 2017, 03:19 PM
Or do what I do. Imagine mud as "devil" and avoid it. :D
With 15psi tyre pressure, sand is your mate. :)

Same here hate bog holes with a passion, they have cost me heaps over the years
At this stage Ive been there done that, and know the out come $$$$.
Id be buying a new compressor, even save up,, its getting cooler now so
plenty of time to same, give the whole system a birthday<<<<<lol

threedogs
8th March 2017, 03:20 PM
If you fit it yourself make sure you tell whoever is re gassing it so they know to put the correct amount of oil in it prior to using the vacuum pump.

and make sure they weigh how much goes in, some just put it in till cold
not good enough they take a certain weight

dom14
8th March 2017, 10:47 PM
and make sure they weigh how much goes in, some just put it in till cold
not good enough they take a certain weight

i just give little bit at a time while running the A/C & measuring the temperature from the air vent.
When the temperature start to drop, then I release the tiny bit of excess gas from the schrader valve.
Since I use R134a compatible HC refrigerant it won't be any trouble(unless I decide to smoke while re-gassing the A/C :) )