PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and POD owner

jono82
27th February 2017, 07:26 AM
Morning all,

Long time lurker, first time poster from the Sunshine Coast. Currently I own a GQ Ti wagon with a TD42 and GU turbo set up and a 2006 coil cab TD42ti ute. Over the weekend I upgraded the existing steel tray/alluminium canopy to an ex Telstra Obieco POD in an effort to save weight and have come across a couple of issues that I'm hoping another "podoligist" may be able to offer some advice on. As you're all aware the Obieco body is designed for the leaf sprung utes which requires some patience when mounting but nothing overly difficult, however what has become noticeable is the leaf sprung utes have a narrower rear track than mine which has left me with tyres an inch outside of the tray! Are there any other members out there that have mounted the Obieco on a coil cab and if so what was your way around it (apart from split rims). I do plan to replace the wheel/tyre combo, but not just yet. I appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

threedogs
27th February 2017, 08:36 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Other than getting different off set rims,
Id be fitting some Bunnings garden edging to keep those rim/tyres legal
is the front track the same as the rear??[width]

jono82
27th February 2017, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the reply threedogs, the front/rear track is the same on my coil ute and the wheel/tyre combo is nothing special (285/75 R16 on a fairly standard offset) which is why I'm surprised mine stick out as I've not seen any of the other Telstra bodies with extra flares with even bigger wheel/tyre combos. I think you may be right with the bunnings flares or something similar (maybe even steel fabricated ones), perhaps somebody out there has experienced this before. Thanks again for the reply.

gubigfish
27th February 2017, 09:06 AM
I have a similar situation at the moment with mine however I still have the standard Alloy tray on and developed these issues after changing from Factory Nissan steel wheels to aftermarket ones. I am going to fit an adjustable panhard to the rear which will help bring them back under the guards. Are you running a 2" lift?

threedogs
27th February 2017, 09:11 AM
Remove and refit what you have, any trailer place
would have "off the shelf' guards pre made ready to fit.

Dhuck
27th February 2017, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

jono82
27th February 2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reply gubigfish, it's approx 3" lift, the previous owner went higher to overcome 700+ kg steel tray and canopy! It runs snake racing adjustable arms and adjustable panhard but everything is already adjusted into place so I have no more adjustment left.

jono82
27th February 2017, 09:21 AM
Hi threedogs, I believe you might be on to something there. The current ones wont work as the have no top section, however something like a trailer gaurd maight be a winner. I guess I can be a guinea pig and hopefully pass on info to anyone else that encounters this.

Thanks Dhuck

MB
27th February 2017, 09:54 AM
G'day Jono, I used Dynaplas truck guards on my 1999 coily tray. Cheap and easy, very flexible and quickly removed if ever broken too.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/197.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
27th February 2017, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
28th February 2017, 12:06 AM
Welcome. My pod is an ex telstra one of the Rosscos variety & on a leaf sprung GU, I can't offer you anything which hasn't already been suggested. 265's sit quite nicely on mine.

jono82
28th February 2017, 06:46 AM
Thank you to everyone who has replied, it's great to be part of a comunity where so many people are willing to help a stranger! Yesterday afternoon I tried a standard GU steel rim to see if it was an offset issue I was having, and while it still hasn't completely solved the issue it's probably enough of an improvement to make me go in that direction (see photos). Once a toolbox has been added to the right hand side of the vehicle it might not look as bad as it does currently. I'm looking forward to uploading an album with the build up of this ute and my GQ and hopefully there will be something I can give back to the forum in the future. Thanks again everyone.