PDA

View Full Version : Newbie and not sure

Greenhorn
25th February 2017, 05:55 PM
Hello all. It seemed appropriate to become a member of this forum as I have obtained a 1989 Nissan Patrol GQ Wagon. The car was completely standard and I have recently installed a 2 inch lift. I am now wanting to increase tyre size on the original 15 x 7jj Nissan rim which has a 31 x 10.5R 15 BF Goodrich T/A. I wish to replace the tyres with 33 x 10.5R 15 BF Goodrich T/A on the same rim. I know this will affect my speedo, take-off speed, and fuel consumption which I am ok with. However I have heard that the bigger tyres will touch and rub on the guards at full flex if I was to install this tyre on this rim as apparently it has an offset of +5mm. Apparently I need a rim with an offset of -13mm to prevent this. Is anyone able to confirm or provide possible feedback on this information. I would hate to invest the money on the bigger tyres and have dramas.

MB
25th February 2017, 06:06 PM
Welcome aboard mate!
From what I understand from mates on here is that a 33" tyre on a GQ is fine. I'm still trying to learn the neg offset thingo too but do know many blokes including my brother have had to modify guards to accept bigger again of 35" tyres.

threedogs
25th February 2017, 06:35 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forum,,, enjoy

GQtdauto
25th February 2017, 07:02 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum , my 33s scrub like buggery loaded up every time I hit a bump or worse a depression in the road .
Do have a 2" lift , brother in law did a 2.5 inch lift ? He reckons , and although his is a little higher he still scrubs .
The amount of GQ"s I see with no front mud flaps and 33" tyres leads me to think it's either coincidence or GQ"s are nasty beasts that hate mud flaps much the same way as putting a collar on a cat it never stays on long .

Greenhorn
25th February 2017, 08:06 PM
Yes, Thanks for the feedback. The tyres I am looking at are $350 a pop and I will need 5 of them. Ive almost gotten 100 thousand out of the BF goodies that are on there. I will not be getting that sort of value for money if they're getting chomped on every decent bump.

Avo
25th February 2017, 10:16 PM
welcome to the forum..ya can't go to wrong from here....

4bye4
25th February 2017, 11:26 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

Clunk
26th February 2017, 10:32 AM
I had 33x12.5x15s on my old gq, i think the offset was -ve 13 but cant remember to be honest, ended up remiving the front mud flaps as they were in the way when on full lock.... radius arm spacers would have sorted the issue........ but when on full flex, tyres did scrub on the inside rear wheel tub.

GQtdauto
26th February 2017, 10:55 AM
Pretty much the same story as Clunk, brother in law has had castor correction done but front still scrubs when turning over bumps and uneven ground , he doesn't have as much scrubbing in the rear though but he doesn't tow anything that has much of any weight .
Two dirt bikes that are small on a motor bike trailer .

Dhuck
27th February 2017, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
27th February 2017, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fat60y
28th February 2017, 04:54 PM
welcome to the forum