PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ignition Detonation Detection methods

dom14
20th February 2017, 10:43 AM
Hey Guys,

I found below little DIY gadget that is apparently good at detecting engine detonation.

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_113326/article.html

I've been wondering about other methods of detonation detection.

Any ideas?

threedogs
20th February 2017, 11:51 AM
doesn't a timing light do the same thing ie let you know when its firing.
Is firing the same as detonation????

dom14
20th February 2017, 12:47 PM

Not quite, I reckon.

threedogs
20th February 2017, 03:10 PM

any one ????

Mike02Ti
20th February 2017, 04:28 PM
No what they are talking about here is detonation or misfiring which is what your knock sensors detect if your vehicle has them fitted.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

dom14
20th February 2017, 05:14 PM
any one ????

You can set the timing according to the factory specifications or any other fuel/electronic modifications that you might have, but you can still end up having detonation inside the combustion chamber due other factors like too much soot build up inside the piston crown, spark plugs or accidentally increasing the compression beyond safe limits by machining the head beyond factory limits. I guess there are other reasons like heat,etc which doesn't pop into my fogged head right now. "Detonation" is a tricky term I reckon. The technical term is "pre-ignition" I think, which means ignition happening before spark occurs.

dom14
20th February 2017, 05:17 PM
I think dyno's, etc also have listening, stethoscope type of devise with or without computer screen attached to it, to detect detonation.

The OP one is cheapy one you can DIY for around ten bucks or something.

Throbbinhood
21st February 2017, 02:22 PM
any one ????

Nope. Timing, you set the timing of your spark depending on manufacturer specs or what you are trying to achieve.

Detonation means the fuel is igniting prior to spark, which can be due to heat, too much compression, improper spark setup, poor quality fuel (running 91ron when setup for 98ron).

In a car fitted with knock sensors and ecu's that have the capability, they can advance/retard the timing (to a degree) if they pick up a knock to avoid engine damage.