PDA

View Full Version : Engine light flickered on & off

Cuppa
16th February 2017, 01:06 PM
There was a detour around some roadworks which took me over some very potholed ex-road. Rattled everything. The engine warning light flickered on & off constantly until I reached smooth bitumen again. Hadn’t come on before or since. Driving across the bumpy paddock at home caused no repeat of the light coming on.

I tend to think it must just be a loose connection somewhere which got a good shaking. Just wondering if there might be more likely culprits I could check?

mudski
16th February 2017, 01:12 PM
Check to see if the harness to the ECU is in firm I suppose. Could be bloody anything really. Even a relay getting the bejesus shaken out of it may bring on the CEL intermittently.

Turtle_au
16th February 2017, 01:49 PM
Have you scanned it to see if any codes have been kept?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

threedogs
16th February 2017, 05:06 PM
give any plugs you can see a spray with some CRC or similar.
I use Lanotec as it leaves a light coating

Cuppa
16th February 2017, 05:33 PM
Have you scanned it to see if any codes have been kept?

'06 4.2 ute. Although it does have an OBD port it doesn't show much more than engine revs, no codes to read.

Where is the ECU located Mark?

Was just hoping that there might be a common plug that is vulnerable, but yes it could be just about anywhere. I'm not overly concerned, but if it kept doing it over 1000's of kms of corrugated outback tracks I guess it could make me a tad paranoid.

Turtle_au
16th February 2017, 06:50 PM
It could also be a sensor not liking the sudden jolts. My old cabstar had fuel filter warning light (float to detect water) and a brake fluid level float. Both would flash on when I hit potholes.

GeeYou8
18th February 2017, 09:18 AM
give any plugs you can see a spray with some CRC or similar.
I use Lanotec as it leaves a light coating
Deoxit D5 is the best I have come across, expensive but works really well.
Does a TD42 have an ECU? I thought they were all mechanical.
Disconnect the plug from the water sensor on the fuel filter & take it across the paddock again, see if fault disappears.
Graham