PDA

View Full Version : Towing with my 2013 Y62 - Help

philfy53
10th February 2017, 04:06 PM
Hi all - this is my first post so be kind
I recently purchased my Y62 Ti-L and am towing a 20ft van (about 2.4 tonne all up)
I would like some advice as to what i should be doing when towing: -
- just leave it in Drive (not sure what gear it is in at any stage - One Nissan Tech told me not to use overdrive when towing, another said its OK)
- or just use it manually and only go as high as sixth gear

Can anyone give me advice please
Sorry if this subject has already been done to death

Cyclone
10th February 2017, 04:52 PM
Hi philfy53,
Nice the hear from someone with a Y62. Not many Y62 owners on this site yet.
I never tow in overdrive. I don't have a Y62 yet. due to arrive April/May. My Gu Patrol a button to lock out the overdrive when towing. My 150 series Prado has tiptronic so I move the gear leaver to S and leave it there. I should imagine the Y62 would have something similar.
Sid

Bigcol
10th February 2017, 06:09 PM
welcome to the forum mate,
cannot help you with your question, as I have not got my Y62 yet
and no-one has brought one for me for Xmas...............

4bye4
10th February 2017, 06:33 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum. Completely different I know but I tow a heavy trailer full of camp gear with my Y61 auto. A lot of people say don't use OD in that as well, but I do, and as I have a EGT gauge, I click it off to increase revs when I see that going up too fast. You can usually hear or see the revs getting bogged a bit and just click it out of OD. I also go out of OD when setting up to pass. Plenty on here will say leave OD off when towing.

philfy53
10th February 2017, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys for the info
For all those interested, I have had my y62 for two weeks
Drove it back from Brisbane to Adelaide. Best fuel economy (not towing of course) was 8 litres/100km (from Balranald to Adelaide).
Worst was from Hat to Balranald when i was in cruise about 130km/hr in windy conditions - about 13litres/100kn
Towing 2.5tonne - being very conservative (i.e. 95km/hr) i get 17.2litres/100
Towing - (just going for it) i get 19/20litre/100km
Just saying!!!

Cyclone
10th February 2017, 07:51 PM
Wow that fairly impressive fuel consumption philfy. How long did you have to wait for your Patrol. I ordered mine in December. Was it cheaper to buy in Brisbane that Adelaide?.
Sid

Dhuck
11th February 2017, 11:19 AM
welcome to the forum mate