PDA

View Full Version : Td42 silver top vs gu td42t which is stronger

gingerninja102
8th February 2017, 08:12 PM
So been a while since i posted sorry guys. Ive got a gq with a n\a td silver top in it. 91 model and recently acquired a td42t out of a 99 model gu ute i brought mainly for a parts car and second engine. I'm gonna rebuild one and slap the turbo on it just trying to figure out which path to go down and why. Have heard the silver tops have the stronger internals than the black tops in the gqs however the gu tds seem to have been built same yet different. So wondering if they put the better internals for the turbo and such back in. I dunno. Any input would be appreciated.

Winnie
8th February 2017, 08:20 PM
The GU factory turbo engines are the strongest.

gingerninja102
8th February 2017, 08:37 PM
What makes you say that?

happygu
8th February 2017, 10:27 PM
GU Factory BlackTop is built for a Turbo, and is built to handle the forced induction.

SilverTops were still very strong but they weren't using parts specifically designed for Forced Induction ....

You cant go wrong either way I guess .... It really all comes down to the quality of the parts used for the rebuild, as the motor will only be as good as the parts you use.

I think it comes down to this ...... especially if it is the GU you are building it for, stick to the factory motor for the car you are re-building, as I much prefer to buy a car that doesn't look like it has been tampered with too much.