PDA

View Full Version : Black saturday anniversary

AB
7th February 2017, 07:50 PM
Today marks another anniversary of black Saturday that saw a horrific day for us Mexicans

If you haven't watched the two hour doco of the terrible day from ABC then have a look below

It's a good coverage of what really happened

http://youtu.be/dMqvzOj9l5s

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2017, 04:17 PM
And your in for another heatwave I believe, hope those tanks are full and you have a good fire pump, fire hose and sprinklers on the house!

threedogs
8th February 2017, 04:28 PM
I was sitting in the Murray having a beer and said to my mates
this is going to be Epic.
One mate said temp will be 48 with strong winds about 10am.
exactely 10.05 it started howling and did not let up.
I ended up getting 2 stroke and decided I need to drive home
from the Hume all you could see was red embers burning every
which way you looked,,,,,very scarey indeed
all our temp gauges read 52 degrees bloody hot

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2017, 04:49 PM
Have you read any literature on this @AB??

If I remember correctly their was 1 town in the fire path ( can't remember which 1 ) that all ( or most ) home owners were somewhat prepared, eg: had training or had fire pumps hoses etc and stayed and defended and never lost anything.

I can't find it in the book I read

threedogs
8th February 2017, 04:56 PM
A lot of owner couldnt clear their blocks as they wanted to because of red tape.
one bloke ignored this order and cleard his land 50mtr from his house. he had no damage
where the others lost theirs.
I've heard some horrific stories from Black Saturday but I wouldnt print them here way too grafic

AB
8th February 2017, 05:47 PM
Have you read any literature on this @AB??

If I remember correctly their was 1 town in the fire path ( can't remember which 1 ) that all ( or most ) home owners were somewhat prepared, eg: had training or had fire pumps hoses etc and stayed and defended and never lost anything.

I can't find it in the book I read

Hey mate nah I don't remember that but would be keen to read it.

Black Saturday was a day like no one has ever really seen though mate.

40 degrees for days on end, bone dry with a 46 degree day and 100km winds.

It was like a blow torch and many people died who had what they thought was a defendable home and very well prepared.

It was a huge lesson for everyone to honestly not be a hero and leave early on similar conditions moving forward.

It was honestly the most craziest conditions I have ever seen. It came about 400m from my house and we shouldn't have even been here at all, very silly but lucky!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
8th February 2017, 05:55 PM
Watch this video below, particularly from 2 mins onwards.

If you are in the bush like in the background of this footage on a day like that it is simply catastrophic and not even remotely defendable if the winds and conditions are like that.

http://youtu.be/F3dPlVvkIZ8

Maxhead
8th February 2017, 06:08 PM
Crikey, I remember being there on the 18th of Jan 2013 in ACT fires so I can just imagine Black Saturday...Fierce and brutal event!

AB
8th February 2017, 06:15 PM
Crikey, I remember being there on the 18th of Jan 2013 in ACT fires so I can just imagine Black Saturday...Fierce and brutal event!

Do you mean 2003? Yeah that was ridiculous being so close to populated areas!

Maxhead
8th February 2017, 06:21 PM
Do you mean 2003? Yeah that was ridiculous being so close to populated areas!

Yep 2003...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2017, 06:27 PM

Black Saturday was a day like no one has ever really seen though mate.

40 degrees for days on end, bone dry with a 46 degree day and 100km winds.

It was like a blow torch and many people died who had what they thought was a defendable home and very well prepared.

It was a huge lesson for everyone to honestly not be a hero and leave early on similar conditions moving forward.

It was honestly the most craziest conditions I have ever seen. It came about 400m from my house and we shouldn't have even been here at all, very silly but lucky!!

It was my partners book, which was a book with a few stories in it, I'll see if she knows where it is when she gets home from work.

Its not always a case of not being a hero and leaving early, and even if FDR's are listed as Catastrophic doesn't mean anything if a fire doesn't start.

I think this might of been the town, but will have 2 find the book 2 confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj7mz_-xDng

Maxhead
8th February 2017, 06:52 PM
in town when the fires happened in Canberra we had no water pressure as everyone was trying to wet their places. Good example of having a good pump and water supply in these situations in rural areas

NissanGQ4.2
8th February 2017, 07:06 PM
in town when the fires happened in Canberra we had no water pressure as everyone was trying to wet their places. Good example of having a good pump and water supply in these situations in rural areas

Yep bound 2 happen if everyone is at home wetting down their house using mains, but the thing is its not just rural areas anymore that need 2 look at a good pump and water supply. There are many non rural suburbs now adjacent bush land we have had a few fires recently down in Cranebrook, Castlereagh, Penrith, Londonderry ( Semi Rural still ) and if it wasn't for the volunteer RFS and the water bombers there certainly would of been a lot of houses lost recently.

MB
9th February 2017, 05:35 AM
It's 30 degrees already in the hills and been blowing a gale all night. Let's hope for a good day across Mexico, stay safe Hombres!

katwoman
9th February 2017, 07:03 AM
It's 30 degrees already in the hills and been blowing a gale all night. Let's hope for a good day across Mexico, stay safe Hombres!

I hear 'you victorians' are in for a hot few days.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/68.jpg
Stay cool.

Winnie
9th February 2017, 08:20 AM
I hear 'you victorians' are in for a hot few days.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/68.jpg
Stay cool.

Just today, it was 30 degrees at 6am today.

jay see
9th February 2017, 08:44 AM
Just today, it was 30 degrees at 6am today.
Yeah and my stupid kids.
One that has not worn a jacket in I can't remember how long decides that today he will start and the older one is more concerned about how he looks on the bus by wearing a singlet under his shirt.

D!ckheads they are sometimes...

Cuppa
9th February 2017, 11:06 AM
Today marks another anniversary of black Saturday that saw a horrific day for us Mexicans

If you haven't watched the two hour doco of the terrible day from ABC then have a look below

It's a good coverage of what really happened

http://youtu.be/dMqvzOj9l5s

Certainly gives good insight into how that day was for so many people, but as with the news reports at the time the coverage focus misses what happened earlier in the day in our locality - Callignee & Koornalla, Gippsland. In Callignee 69 out of 71 houses ( think it was) were lost & several people died. It was all over by the time the broadcasters got onto it.

Hodge
9th February 2017, 04:21 PM
Watched that doco AB linked many times. Cannot even imagine what those people went through...
I've worked in the aftermath of both the black saturday AND the Canberra fires (fixing powerlines). It was a sour feeling knowing that what we were fixing, was in fact what initially caused the whole disaster.

AB
9th February 2017, 05:10 PM
Watched that doco AB linked many times. Cannot even imagine what those people went through...
I've worked in the aftermath of both the black saturday AND the Canberra fires (fixing powerlines). It was a sour feeling knowing that what we were fixing, was in fact what initially caused the whole disaster.

Unfortunately some were deliberate too mate which is scary.

Hodge
9th February 2017, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately some were deliberate too mate which is scary.

Definitely scary. What insanity drives a person to do that, is beyond me.
Fire coming so close to your place... Feeling would have been unimaginable. Take my hat off to ya.

I remember our initial venture up there, we had a large meeting, when we were being briefed by fieries and the cops, as to what were gonna see and where we may or may not go. The initial and only cause known at that point was just a " powerline fault". Naturally, the public anger was mounting towards SPI very quickly. Totally understandable ...

One a side note.
We drove through Strathewen recently and stopped at the memorial steel tree. A definite must visit if anyone is going through there.

gubigfish
9th February 2017, 06:42 PM
All I can say over here is thank god its raining currently. Fires in the south eastern suburbs of Perth near Byford/Armadale and its been raining most of the day and apparently we're about to get 40-60mm rain overnight which is unheard of this time of year.

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2017, 06:00 PM
It was all over by the time the broadcasters got onto it.

Yep and that is were most of the problem lies, why are people in Bush fire prone areas or even close 2 bush relying on warnings from broadcasters, people need 2 keep aware of whats going on outside not just sit in front of a computer, TV or radio. While I listen 2 the RFS scanner and have the RFS fires near me map open on hot days, I also get outside and look for signs / smells of smoke......

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2017, 06:03 PM
I'm hoping NRMA get their Fire warning system prototype up and running and that it works :)

Cuppa
10th February 2017, 07:24 PM
Yep and that is were most of the problem lies, why are people in Bush fire prone areas or even close 2 bush relying on warnings from broadcasters, people need 2 keep aware of whats going on outside not just sit in front of a computer, TV or radio. While I listen 2 the RFS scanner and have the RFS fires near me map open on hot days, I also get outside and look for signs / smells of smoke......

Totally agree with you. I hope that the bit you quoted from my post didn't lead you or anyone to think I thought otherwise. My point was really about people who had suffered every bit as much as those in the doco, but there was certainly a feeling in the area of having been 'forgotten'.

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2017, 07:44 PM
Totally agree with you. I hope that the bit you quoted from my post didn't lead you or anyone to think I thought otherwise. My point was really about people who had suffered every bit as much as those in the doco, but there was certainly a feeling in the area of having been 'forgotten'.

I doubt anyone was forgotten, yes I believe some things went wrong in getting messages out, and at of the day it is in most part a volunteer service that should not be solely relied upon.

If one wants 2 live near bush then be setup 2 defend your property / life without relying on others as your well aware fire fighters regardless if its paid fire fighters or volunteers they may not always be their 2 defend your house or save your life.

God help us if our fire seasons start 2 align with overseas, when that happens we will be left with no big aircraft helping out.

Anyway I'm rambling and in need of another beer :)

AB
10th February 2017, 08:40 PM
Do we actually own any aircraft water bombers?

I know Elvis is brought in each season from the states but we have another one we use a lot too, can't remember it's name?

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2017, 08:46 PM
Do we actually own any aircraft water bombers?

I know Elvis is brought in each season from the states but we have another one we use a lot too, can't remember it's name?

Thor and Elvis are 2 of the the main helicopters and there are a couple of large fixed wings @AB, and no we don't own any both a brought in each season from the States. They believe it is cheaper just 2 rent them each season then own our own

Edit: Thor is one of the fixed winged plains

Malcolm and Ichabod air cranes were based in VIC this fire season

Cuppa
10th February 2017, 09:01 PM
I doubt anyone was forgotten, yes I believe some things went wrong in getting messages out, and at of the day it is in most part a volunteer service that should not be solely relied upon.

If one wants 2 live near bush then be setup 2 defend your property / life without relying on others as your well aware fire fighters regardless if its paid fire fighters or volunteers they may not always be their 2 defend your house or save your life.

God help us if our fire seasons start 2 align with overseas, when that happens we will be left with no big aircraft helping out.

Anyway I'm rambling and in need of another beer :)

I meant that after the fires were over & all the goodwill & help was being shared around that folk in my area felt they were relatively forgotten & other places had much higher 'profiles' - a direct result of 'missing out' on media coverage at the time. Not talking about what went on, on the ground, on the day. Like everywhere else affected there were many stories of people going beyond the call of duty, of heroes, of lucky escapes, of terrifying stories & of those lost. I wasn't there, we were were in WA at the time, so I'm just telling what folk said to me when we got home 9 months later. I guess the only reason I said anything was because that in that ABC documentary our area didn't even warrant a mention.

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2017, 09:02 PM
This is a great website on Fire Aviation in Australia, well worth a look at and watch some of the vids

http://fireaviation.com/tag/australia/

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2017, 09:11 PM
This is an Aerial vision from the NSW RFS helicopter of the Londonderry Fire in western Sydney on the 13 November 2016, While Londonderry is semi rural it is surrounded by built up suburbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6AlwhjF9pU

AB
10th February 2017, 09:11 PM
The Canberra fires that Kris mentioned before.

This is a 45 min vid but if you're bored and want to truly know what our firerys deal with at times then this is a great video of the risks they take and most are voluntary...

There's a lot of hectic moments here!

https://youtu.be/qPpOXH0ADSg

NissanGQ4.2
10th February 2017, 09:27 PM
AB Malcolm and Ichabod are the air cranes based in VIC this fire season

jack
10th February 2017, 10:15 PM
We currently have a Blackhawk helicopter stationed in Ballarat, fastest firefighting helicopter in Australia. Has a 3,400 litre multi drop bucket, meaning it can drops loads on different locations.
Today is also the 40th anniversary of the fires that devastated the western district, lucky loss of life was minimal but it was devastating on stock losses. We spent the day protecting my sisters farm but a grass fire is almost unstoppable. These sights will stay with me forever, our former home and about ten neighbouring houses were destroyed in Creswick. Streatham was wiped off the map and never recovered.

MB
10th February 2017, 10:25 PM
I may be wrong Toddstar, but do believe AB is suggesting none of us should be heroes on Extreme days as such. We were vigilant as always on the day but to be honest, dead set lucky with wind changes in the end. Our old mans 'Ash Wednesday' training as kids could never meet that days chaos!

NissanGQ4.2
20th August 2017, 04:17 PM

AB What I was referring 2 earlier in this thread is from a book called Kinglake 350 by Adrian Hyland

Extract from the book:

An example of wider thinking that offers a promising lesson for the future comes from a small community near Castella, in the heavy timbered eastern part of the Kingslake Rangers.

By rights, the 20 or so houses near Castella shouldn't still be standing. They were struck by fire as intense as most other places in the ranges, and yet they survived. How did they avoid the general destruction?

In the first place, the DSE had carries out carefully targeted burns, totaling around 450 hectares, in the years before Black Saturday. But just as importantly, the community was actively involved in its own defense. There was a strong fireguard group, so the residents where there to inform and support each other. When the fire came they fought collectively, as a community, and they won.

Sprock
21st August 2017, 12:27 AM
AB I just watched the link you put up on the 1st page of this thread - goes for an hr & 40 mins ( or so ) I was a gibbering wreck by the end of it , the story of the grand parents who lost their grand kids & 2 girls that lived down the rd that were all sheltering in their home was horrific - as were the other stories . Towns being obliterated & with the only knowledge that there was fires about was from the thick smoke - the cfa systems collapsed & people who were monitoring the cfa website & 774 radio were unaware of any danger until it was to late . Thankfully the closest these fires got to us was Traralgon Sth ( half hr away ) a few years before this the fires came at Heyfield from 3 different sides over a few days each time the wind changed getting to within 1km of our house - that was bad enough but these poor people lost everything . Bloody sad .

BSRT.Beast
21st August 2017, 10:08 AM
Black Saturday my 35th birthday.
What I remember most was the aftermath,at the time I was working for a heavy haulage company and from first thing Monday we were being sent into the fire zones with Machinery alot of Generators it was absolutely devastating gut wrenching and real eerie.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sprock
21st August 2017, 05:38 PM
Even driving through Kinglake etc now is eerie - knowing what happened there & how many lives were lost but also the fact that EVERYTHING is brand new - houses , shops , halls etc brings home the level of devastation there .