PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

michaelgreeny
4th February 2017, 09:34 PM
Hey guys,

Hope this is in the right section, upgrading a leaking intercooler on my '09 GU.

Options are currently a brand new Diesel Smart with fan for $595 or a secondhand HDP (currently don't know anything about it) for $700.

I like that diesel smart and knowing there is nothing wrong with it, but is the HDP that much better that it's worth getting?

Anyone got an opinion?

Cheers.

rainsey
4th February 2017, 10:37 PM
I have a near new HPD with fan for ... hmm say $500.
Can't use it now I have upgraded to a 6.5 Chev. Sitting on the work bench doing next to nothing.

From my perspective the HPD is a quality unit. Substantially thicker than the original and bolts right in to the same spot.

Kindest Regards
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rainsey
4th February 2017, 10:53 PM
Being that the HPD is over the $1200 mark, the $700 you have been looking at is probably not a bad deal :)

MudRunnerTD
4th February 2017, 10:53 PM
I have a near new HPD with fan for ... hmm say $500.
Can't use it now I have upgraded to a 6.5 Chev. Sitting on the work bench doing next to nothing.

From my perspective the HPD is a quality unit. Substantially thicker than the original and bolts right in to the same spot.

Kindest Regards
Rainsey

Have you got any pics of it? I might be interested. What size is it? off a ZD30 or a TD42?

rainsey
5th February 2017, 07:06 PM
Have you got any pics of it? I might be interested. What size is it? off a ZD30 or a TD42?

Okeydokey,

The intercooler is one I purchased from HPD after my OEM started leaking around the crimped joints.

It's off a 2008 ZD30 CRD. The intercooler is as per what HPD have on their web site including fan. The original fan died When I was up in Alice Springs of I ordered ( still feeling the pain) a replacement from HPD. This fan has done all but a couple of weeks work before my ZD 30 died.

I have been contemplating speaking to a local alloy fabricator that has done some work for me to see if he can convert it to a passengers side exit. I will give him a call tomorrow. If he thinks it is too hard. I'll put up some photos.

I don't want to get in to a crap fight between the good guys on this forum as I have been contacted already by a few.
Just to put things in perspective.... I have very recently replaced by 2008 ZD30 CRD with a Brunswick Diesel installed 6.5 Optimiser. Whilst I took the original engine to Simms metal for an total cost to them of $70 .. I Di salvage a few bits off it being:-

1: Intercooler as already stated
2: Intercooler mounting bracket for ZD30 CRD
3: Nissan cowling that goes over said intercooler
4: Nissan alternator
5: Brand new water pump
7: Brand new ZD30 radiator ( albeit it has a few dents care of BD)

Before my engine died I was having chronic over heating issues. Other than trig my mechanic court over incompetence it turned out to be a totally blocked radiator as diagnosed by Radnad in Perth ( by the bay I live on the east coast).

If anyone has a need for any of these parts .. let me know.

Re the intercooler.... stay tuned. If the fabricator says ".... no probs .." is not on the market. Other wise stay tined.

Kindest regards
Rainsey

rainsey
5th February 2017, 07:29 PM
Crap I hate predictive text off my iPad. Whilst I am probably an illiterate individual, my posts are contra indicative to the real me. Please ignore any really bad linguistics in my reply.

Kindest regards
Rainsey

MB
5th February 2017, 07:50 PM
Relax Rainsey, tis a forum mate :-) Although the Mods and most importantly that Admin bloke tell me you probably should sharpen up a wee bit :-) You'z a good man :-) !!

rainsey
5th February 2017, 08:35 PM
Relax Rainsey, tis a forum mate :-) Although the Mods and most importantly that Admin bloke tell me you probably should sharpen up a wee bit :-) You'z a good man :-) !!

Ha ha... thanks for he heads up. The fingers work faster than the iPad ... hate to see what actually comes out