PDA

View Full Version : Would GU sway bar disconnects fit a GQ?

Majestic
3rd February 2017, 11:17 AM
Hi all I am needing to put in sway bars for my GQ Patrol and I came across these sway bar disconnects online:

http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/gu-patrol-rear-swaybar-disconnects/
http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/gu-patrol-front-swaybar-disconnects/

I was wondering if they would fit? I like the idea of the pins as it means I don't need to install a cable to connect and disconnect them.

I've heard that GU and GQ sway bars are interchangeable between the models.

I have a 2 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift to fit my 35 inch tyres.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks. :)

mudski
3rd February 2017, 12:06 PM
Why not use the right ones? Or am I missing something...
http://shop.snakeracing.com.au/gq-rear-swaybar-disconnects/

Majestic
3rd February 2017, 01:38 PM
I missed the GQ ones. However they only seem to have the rear ones. I need front and rear.

mudski
3rd February 2017, 02:13 PM
Maybe ring them and ask. I have heard people who have disconnects reckon its a pain in the bum to reconnect them after a muddy and dirty day. I just have two spanners on hand and undo the bolt on one side. Take a few minutes to do....

Majestic
4th February 2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks mate. I think I'll just keep with the standards.

abw
5th February 2017, 09:21 AM
On my GU, I run a 2" lift with ARB sway bar extension brackets for the rear (no idea if they fit a GQ) which cost around $17. And the front I just disconnected one side. Seams to flex better with the rear sway bar connected.

mudski
5th February 2017, 01:44 PM
Thanks mate. I think I'll just keep with the standards.

If you have a lift the standards will be stretched out to the max. The arm of the sway bar where it bends and joins to the link should be pretty much horizontal. If you have a lift and stock links, my guess the sway bar will be pointing upwards, which means the bar is already stressed just sitting there. You will run a higher chance of failure to the arm or links if left. Just buy the extended link kit which is around half that of the disconnect kit.

Majestic
5th February 2017, 03:05 PM
Yeah I bought the extended ones for my lift. Thanks. :)

DaveGQ
10th February 2017, 06:13 PM
Maybe ring them and ask. I have heard people who have disconnects reckon its a pain in the bum to reconnect them after a muddy and dirty day. I just have two spanners on hand and undo the bolt on one side. Take a few minutes to do....

I haven't had any issues reconnecting after a muddy run in the bush. Just needs a bit of a wiggle and jiggle. Just remember to bring a matt to lay on while you do it, or you'll be wearing the mud on your back.

Also before you buy the front ones, make sure you actually have a front sway bar, since that was an optional feature in the GQs :D

mudski
10th February 2017, 07:57 PM
I haven't had any issues reconnecting after a muddy run in the bush. Just needs a bit of a wiggle and jiggle. Just remember to bring a matt to lay on while you do it, or you'll be wearing the mud on your back.

Also before you buy the front ones, make sure you actually have a front sway bar, since that was an optional feature in the GQs :D

It was? AFAIK, all had them. I will look into this.

DaveGQ
13th February 2017, 08:48 AM
I believe it was optional in the lower models. My DX definitely has never had one. But as always, I could be wrong... 50/50 :smile:

mudski
13th February 2017, 10:21 AM
I believe it was optional in the lower models. My DX definitely has never had one. But as always, I could be wrong... 50/50 :smile:

PM me your VIN. I can see if yours came out with the sway bar or not.

DaveGQ
13th February 2017, 05:43 PM
Still at work for another couple of weeks, will have to do it once I'm back home.

garett
13th February 2017, 07:39 PM
my mav never had a front sway bar. its the pov pack

taslucas
14th February 2017, 07:18 AM
my mav never had a front sway bar. its the pov pack
Really? Are you sure it wasn't just taken off? My mate has a mav that had front sway bar. Or do you mean sway bar disconnect? In which case Im pretty sure it's only the back that disconnects.

>>>tappin from tassie

garett
14th February 2017, 07:51 AM
no it had no sway bar at all on the front. just a rear one.
and according to the workshop manual it was an option.

taslucas
14th February 2017, 08:30 AM
no it had no sway bar at all on the front. just a rear one.
and according to the workshop manual it was an option.
Yeah wow. Lol, "nah give me the wobbly front option please" haha

>>>tappin from tassie

garett
14th February 2017, 08:49 AM
atm the rear bar is suffering from lack of connection, she rolls just a tad around a corner. need to get a link kit that suits a 2 inch, and new D bushes.
i must mention it still drives better than a feep.