PDA

View Full Version : very sluggish GU CRD

theStuman00
31st January 2017, 05:29 PM
Guys, yet another problem with our patrol, 2008 model, 3 litre CRD, 140 kkms . In the last year the following has happened, the radiation was 50% blocked and replaced with an all brass? unit, the egr pipe around the back of the engine cracked and we had it blocked off and the alternator seized and broke, replaced it with a new repco unit.

Now to the current problem. Both batteries died in the same week, won't hold a charge, they were both purchased in 2012 with only 600 CCA. Now to the real problem.

The motor is very, very sluggish. In the morning when the air temp is cool, it seems fine, this weekend however with 38 C heat, it simply does not pull off the line. I am talking about taking 8 seconds to get to 4000 rpm from a standing start ( it is an automatic ). Once you eventually get it up to speed, it seems ok. It still revs out, just takes longer to get there.

The engine temp ( as read from the android Torque app ) in this heat was varying between 95 and 105 C, yet the dial indicator on the dash remained in the middle and did not move. Boost went from -1 psi to 10 psi when the revs got up. I think the fuel pressure varied from 5000 psi to 35000 psi during my test.

Noticed that the black rubber hose 7 mm in diameter from the diaphragm near the turbo was cracked, I tied it on with cable ties to hold it sealed, no difference, the problem is still present.

Updated info from the wife, who drives the car. This morning at 26 C ambient, it was fine, like normal, then this arvo, she went to overtake a truck whilst she was doing 80 km/hr, absolutely now go at all, took 10 secs to get past it.

So it seem like an intermittent problem.

Do you guys have any idea as to what the problem could be?

Thanks
Stu

threedogs
31st January 2017, 05:41 PM
First up welcome to the forum Stu, second I'd replace all those 7mm vacuum hoses.
third is your intercooler oily at all if yes its leaking and will need replacing with a fully
tigged and tested unit, IMHO I think its a boost problem

theStuman00
31st January 2017, 05:51 PM
Thanks threedogs. Funny you say intercooler leaking. When I changed the oil and filter on the weekend, I noticed that the intercooler had a black substance along the edge closest to the windscreen, maybe along 2 rows of fins, but I paid it no attention. As I live away from home during the week, I will check that out on the weekend.

Any idea where I can get some replacement hoses from? I don't want to pay for ni$$an ones.

Thanks
Stu

threedogs
31st January 2017, 05:55 PM
Super Cheap or any of the speed shops should be able to sell you some 4mm vacumm hose
abut 25cents a meter, so wont break the bank.
Do One thing at a time that way you'll know if you've found the problem or not.
And yes your IC is leaking, hop onto Ebay and get a fully tigged and pressure tested one.
Once fitted you wont be chasing your tail.
Ideally you should have a boost and EGT gauge fitted so you will know whats happening
under the bonnet a must imo and buy a Scan gauge a CRD's best friend