PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded rd28 glow plug issues

Farie
30th January 2017, 08:25 PM
allrighty where to start
I have been searching for weeks trying to figure out what im going to do about my glow system,note i am completely new to deisels and how they work, i have pulled the dash out of my safari looking for a glow timer control module? but no luck its a nissan safari (patrol) 1995 spirit type 2 rd28t also have purchased one of those relay conversion kits but i am unable to locate all the wires needed to wire in the relay i have attached a relay wiring diagram if anyone can help on here it would be much appreciated

cheers tim

UPDATE
this afternoon i have managed to get the 12v td42 plugs to work in the rd28t just a couple of issues to fix getting glow light to work and getting plugs to shut off( could just be the relay supplied stuffed) once it is up and running will do a full write up on how to do it for anyone wanting to know.....if anyone has any ideas about the glow light that would be great???

tim

PeeBee
30th January 2017, 08:32 PM
allrighty where to start
I have been searching for weeks trying to figure out what im going to do about my glow system,note i am completely new to deisels and how they work, i have pulled the dash out of my safari looking for a glow timer control module? but no luck its a nissan safari (patrol) 1995 spirit type 2 rd28t also have purchased one of those relay conversion kits but i am unable to locate all the wires needed to wire in the relay i have attached a relay wiring diagram if anyone can help on here it would be much appreciated

cheers tim

The timer module should be in the drivers side footwell, below the fuse box on a RHD vehicle. Its circa 100mm x 100mm x25mm thick. It also has some tie in with the tacho from memory, so be careful about cutting and shutting the loom.

Farie
30th January 2017, 09:12 PM
thanks for that pbbiz2 I will check tomorrow although I'm sure there was nothing there the last time I looked, I did how ever find a green box above the fuses I will post a pic of it tomorrow night hope fully you can confirm if it is that box or something else.

Tim

Farie
31st January 2017, 07:19 PM
righto i have three photos of my drivers footwell im not sure if the black box on the left hand side is for at transmission, but as you can see in the pic of the fuses there is no box below there nothing at all and the other pic is of a random green box way up above the fuses

PeeBee
31st January 2017, 07:56 PM
Picture 3 with the fuse box, mine sat below that. It was a gold anodised metal box of the size mentioned. You have me stumped now. Does your engine have the vacuum pump in the rocker cover or is it on the alternator?

Farie
31st January 2017, 08:05 PM
It is off the back of the alt

PeeBee
31st January 2017, 08:44 PM
Ok, mine was a 97 with vac pump on motor. Have you checked the manual for location - I know probably stupid question, but might be in the 2.8 supplement section? I will have a look now anyway.

PeeBee
31st January 2017, 08:50 PM
Checked out the 2.8 supplement, section EC-EF 51 - 57, but it clearly shows the glow plug controller where mine was.

Farie
31st January 2017, 08:53 PM
Hmm this is weird does it have to have a glow controller to start it? Because there is a plug down there just hanging which has a big rubber cover around the plug but I could not find anything to plug into it?

PeeBee
31st January 2017, 08:58 PM
check your PM

PeeBee
31st January 2017, 09:14 PM
google nissan patrol glow plug timer, scroll down to images, and look at the second image - thats what my Glow plug controller looked like. It looks a bit like the black box in your second image, so maybe count/make note of wire colours and then as a check ring nissan in the morning perhaps or an auto elec.

Farie
31st January 2017, 09:31 PM
thanks mate had a look think, i may have seen something in the engine bay that looks similar will do a bit more hunting tommorow night after work

Farie
3rd February 2017, 08:46 PM
updates at top of page