PDA

View Full Version : Rego cost

Cuppa
30th January 2017, 07:58 AM
I just got the reminder from VicRoads telling me the rego is due on the Patrol soon.

I am surprised that the cost is less than our little Mitsubishi Mirage - a 1.6 litre 2 door hatchback

’06 Patrol $548.70 (due March ’17) Registration fee $284.70 / TAC Charge $240 / Insurance Duty $24
’02 Mirage $ 675.20 (paid October ’16) Registration fee $284.70 /TAC Charge $355 / Insurance Duty $35.50

Both are registered in my name & neither has any concession associated with the rego. Rural location.

Seems odd - both vehicles have the same ‘Fee code- VL - Light Vehicle Is it because the Patrol is a ute?

Can any Vic folks with a Patrol ute & other sedan have a look at your rego documents & let me know what you fee code & fee breakdown is please?

Cuppa
30th January 2017, 08:06 AM
Ah..... just did what I should have done first & checked the VicRoads web site.
It is because it’s a ute (goods carrying vehicle).

Q. Why is my big utility cheaper than my small sedan?
A. A utility is classed as a goods-carrying vehicle. These vehicles are generally used for business purposes. Also, utilities are generally limited to two occupants, whereas a passenger vehicle can carry up to five people, sometimes more.

MB
30th January 2017, 08:07 AM
Yeah mate, it's because the ute is 'G' coded in Vic. Haven't got the papers in front of me but our GU wagon versus my GU ute is at least $50 cheaper from memory.

GQtdauto
30th January 2017, 08:18 AM
Sons GU ute somehow got thru as being a farmers ute when he changed it over to his name , can't remember exactly but it was only a couple of hundred all up .

Cuppa
30th January 2017, 08:22 AM
Thanks MB.
Yes, although both rego documents state fee code VL Light vehicle , under ‘tare’ the Mirage says 990kg whereas the Patrol ‘tare’ says 3400kg ‘G’. Obviously that ‘G’ is worth having! :)

Hadn’t noticed the difference between the two cars in previous years ‘cos the Mirage was reistered to my wife & Patrol to me, but we changed the rego of the Mirage to me last year just so we could get online renewal /email notification for both vehicles (& our trailers) sent to a single email address, to make things simpler once we are travelling.

MB
30th January 2017, 08:26 AM
Thanks MB. Yes, although both rego documents state fee code VL Light vehicle , under ‘tare’ the Mirage says 990kg whereas the Patrol ‘tare’ says 3400kg ‘G’. Obviously that ‘G’ is worth having! :)
Yep, means you can park in 15 minute loading zones too I believe! :-)

Cuppa
30th January 2017, 08:34 AM
Sons GU ute somehow got thru as being a farmers ute when he changed it over to his name , can't remember exactly but it was only a couple of hundred all up .

Yes farmers get cheaper rego, although have to be registered as a primary producer with the tax dept to qualify. We were primary producers at one stage until Jeff Kennett introduced GST, after which the requirements to be a primary producer became too onerous for us. Before that hobby farmers could have an ABN, qualify as primary producers & get all sorts of tax breaks.

Winnie
30th January 2017, 11:38 AM
What's really funny though, is that my Patrol is registered as a 7 seater, and the registration and TAC cost is exactly the same as my partner's 5 seater sedan.

nissannewby
30th January 2017, 12:01 PM
Bloody cheap down there. We get charged basically on engine size and a few others. My patrol was nearly 870 when I paid it in oct last year.

MB
30th January 2017, 12:51 PM
Bloody cheap down there. We get charged basically on engine size and a few others. My patrol was nearly 870 when I paid it in oct last year.
Yeah wow, that is exy!!
All the more reason for you to move down here and set up a diesel performance shop for our patronage :-)

nissannewby
30th January 2017, 01:26 PM

4 cylinders is about what cuppa quota 650ish. 8 cylinders are 1100 odd.

Ben-e-boy
30th January 2017, 02:02 PM

How do you manage that? Mine is well over $900, so is the g6et

macca
30th January 2017, 02:50 PM
Bloody hell Rego $716.00, Green Slip $353.00, Pink Slip $38.00.
All up $1107.00
Same as Cuppa's

threedogs
30th January 2017, 04:28 PM
with my DSP my rego is only $406, if times are tough you can pay for half
or six months.
My Troopy was regoed as light comercial

mudski
30th January 2017, 04:35 PM
Yep, means you can park in 15 minute loading zones too I believe! :-)

Yes you can parking in loading zones. :smiley_thumbs_up:

MB
30th January 2017, 06:09 PM
Yes you can parking in loading zones. :smiley_thumbs_up:
It scares the heck outa your girlfriend too when the parking inspector window taps on the 16th minute :-)

mudski
30th January 2017, 08:24 PM
It scares the heck outa your girlfriend too when the parking inspector window taps on the 16th minute :-)
Yeah not sure about the time limit rhing though. I never noticed that part. I used you just park there and fo off and do my shopping in the younger years when owning a ute.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

MB
30th January 2017, 08:54 PM
All jokes aside :-) We do genuinely use the 'G' coded 15 min loading zones for work thesedays but may have too been a bit naughty in younger ute years. Pretty sure vans in Vic are 'G' coded too and some sedans/wagons like legitimate courier registered for nursing and blood too.

nissannewby
30th January 2017, 09:27 PM
How do you manage that? Mine is well over $900, so is the g6et

You are right. It was 937 last year. 870 the year before.

These amounts I have stated are all inclusive so maybe not that much different.

abw
31st January 2017, 08:34 AM
Bloody hell Rego $716.00, Green Slip $353.00, Pink Slip $38.00.
All up $1107.00
Same as Cuppa's

Yeah we get royally screwed in nsw. I just had a look at the cost to rego this year (Sydney). $512 for rego, plus $725 (cheapest greenslip)...$1237!

Cuppa
31st January 2017, 01:28 PM
Yeah we get royally screwed in nsw. I just had a look at the cost to rego this year (Sydney). $512 for rego, plus $725 (cheapest greenslip)...$1237!

Was talking to a mate in NSW yesterday who was complaining not just that the total cost of rego was higher in that state, but also that it goes up every year by far more than CPI. He recalled that when the move was being made to insurance companies/green slips instead of State government insurance (like Vic has) it was claimed that the green slip process would make the cost cheaper! Hah!

abw
31st January 2017, 02:12 PM
Was talking to a mate in NSW yesterday who was complaining not just that the total cost of rego was higher in that state, but also that it goes up every year by far more than CPI. He recalled that when the move was being made to insurance companies/green slips instead of State government insurance (like Vic has) it was claimed that the green slip process would make the cost cheaper! Hah!

Yep. That's what they promised...cheaper (rego) green slips. I paid $640 for third party green slip last year and now they are $725. And this is after the gov just a few months ago said they were going to overhaul the system to make them cheaper!

I may just have to move down to Victoria:smiley_thumbs_up: