PDA

View Full Version : Help! Buying a second hand family wagon.

mudnut
27th January 2017, 06:11 PM
G'day and all. We are in the market for a car to replace the Yota van. The vehicle needs to be Awd or 2wd, seat 5 tall adults and carry three dogs behind the cargo barrier.
We looked at a couple of vehicles in Mt Gambier and my head is spinning with all the info collected.

We test drove an X-trail but the clutch failed the stall test.

We also drove a 2006 Territory, which had a heap of room but was sucking 14l/100ks which is more than my 1994 Patrol.

I also felt the auto was a bit dodgy. I like the straight 6, but wonder if it has a timing belt or chain? Is the auto a quick fix or a major PITA?

Is a Kluger worth looking at, but its a V6.

Has anyone got some inside info on a good vehicle that would suit. We have a budget of 12 grand with on roads included in that price.

Time for a Bex and lie down...

MB
27th January 2017, 06:32 PM
Maybe try the ExGov type auctions like Fowlers. We had a couple of newish Bommodore work wagons years ago and they served our needs well. Come with tie down racks and cargo barriers in place already, Ex-Telstra I believe they were.

garett
27th January 2017, 06:59 PM
the terra is a timing chain if its a just replace the auto box its not hard. suspension in the terra check it goodly cos its pretty common

mudnut
27th January 2017, 07:43 PM
I have done a little research on the Territory now, and the auto is a common problem, and can cost a mint. The early model ball joints were atrocious, but an upgrade was available, so we will have to find out if they have been fitted.

MB
27th January 2017, 07:52 PM
Yep, unfortunately one of my workmates has his territory of that vintage still sitting in the garage, cost of tranny fix he said I believe. Worth considering a lower 2WD family/dog type wagon too if the dogs might be ageing. Nothing like lifting a wet mutt mate up into a 4wd wagon :-)

Clunk
27th January 2017, 08:05 PM
Mazda 6 wagon

mudnut
27th January 2017, 08:06 PM
Yeah, you are right there. Our Boxer, Lab X is a bloody big dog to get into the van, now.

Winnie
27th January 2017, 08:11 PM
What about a Camry or Corolla. wagon? They aren't a tiny car like they used to be. We have an Aurion which is basically a Camry sedan with a few extras and it is such a good car.
We used to have Rav4's as work cars and I reckon they are crap... The auto sucks and they weren't comfortable.

mudnut
27th January 2017, 08:40 PM
Mazda 6 wagon

I have yet to look at them.

Clunk
27th January 2017, 08:41 PM
Mazda 6 wagon

mudnut
27th January 2017, 08:43 PM
What about a Camry or Corolla. wagon? They aren't a tiny car like they used to be. We have an Aurion which is basically a Camry sedan with a few extras and it is such a good car.
We used to have Rav4's as work cars and I reckon they are crap... The auto sucks and they weren't comfortable.

Are the back seats of the Aurion big enough, though? I am 6' 2'' and the kids and outlaws are taller.

Yeti's Beast
27th January 2017, 08:57 PM
We have a Mazda CX-9 , 7 seats.
Heaps of rear room, 3rd row seats fold flat into the floor, we fit our Dalmation and Labrador in there. V6 , 204kw and basically a very clever car. Has separate climate control in the rear and our kids are 6ft
We get 10litre per 100 on a trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie
27th January 2017, 09:05 PM
Are the back seats of the Aurion big enough, though? I am 6' 2'' and the kids and outlaws are taller.
Yeah there is heaps of leg room, they are a pretty big car. Can't get them in a wagon though unfortunately only a sedan.

Clunk
27th January 2017, 09:18 PM
Here you go, plenty of room for the dogs, I know it would help my space issues

http://www.westsideauto.com.au/vehicles/view/F650_SUPER_DUTY_UTE/12659656/

MB
27th January 2017, 09:44 PM
I think Mr Mudnut could Transform $12k into that beast, what a truck :-) !!

mudnut
27th January 2017, 09:56 PM
What a bargain. Only Our budget X 25.

Clunk
27th January 2017, 11:05 PM
Can't comment on a Kluger but haven't heard anything bad about them, I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find a Mazda CX9 for your budget.

I can comment on an Xtrail though, used to have a manual 2003 T30 series 2 TI-L, had it for 5 years before I bought the old Clunker and I can honestly say, I didn't mind driving it one bit, quite a capable little AWD and pretty comfy.

My missus's old man had a 4.0 ltr Territory and promptly sold it after towing a van from WA to QLD, he hated it.

Mazda 6 wagon might be a bit tight for 3 adults in the rear, probably be the same foe a Ford Mondeo

Commonwhore wagon if Falcon wagon might suit better.

Or Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tarago, Mitsubishi Delica

MB
27th January 2017, 11:27 PM
You'z be a funny mofo Clunkstar:-)

Clunk
27th January 2017, 11:44 PM
You'z be a funny mofo Clunkstar:-)
Only listing some possible options [emoji12]

mudnut
27th January 2017, 11:49 PM
Only owned one M:blowup::blowup:itsubishi. Never again. Yet a lot of people swear by them.

MB
27th January 2017, 11:58 PM
Magna wagon, all the way :-)

Clunk
28th January 2017, 12:03 AM
Magna wagon, all the way :-)
I used to have a 2002 Magna Sport....... bloody great car, sold it and got the Xtrail coz of the dogs

mudnut
28th January 2017, 12:18 AM
Ours must've been a Friday car.

garett
28th January 2017, 06:08 AM
mits make alot of friday cars...... have you looked at a subaroo ? even those Hyundai aren't too bad. not sure about leg room on these but they seem to last ok. i think i30 or 45 wagon, i forget the number

mudnut
28th January 2017, 09:13 AM
We haven't seen many examples of those two makes. The only later model Subaru was in a dealers that was shut. Might have to go back and have a look, next week.

TPC
28th January 2017, 09:56 AM
If you were to go for an X-Trail, don't go the CVT auto. Our work has an auto and it just shit itself and 6K to fix it.

mudnut
28th January 2017, 10:00 AM
I discounted the CVT after watching this boring but informing video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiwRUfFEc5k

NissanGQ4.2
28th January 2017, 12:03 PM
Can buy a nice GQ for 12g :)

Could buy mine for 3g only cause its not nice *L*

mudnut
28th January 2017, 01:25 PM
Mrs mudsane has said no to a Patrol.

mudnut
28th January 2017, 01:46 PM
A fish bum question. Can you take the front diff, axles and and drive shaft run it with out them? Cause you would save the weight of all of that as I know Mrs mudsane would never take it offroad. Ever!. And I could fit- E lockers in the front and back and chuck em in mine.

NissanGQ4.2
28th January 2017, 02:01 PM
Mrs mudsane has said no to a Patrol.

And you listen 2 your wife? *L*

Clunk
28th January 2017, 02:02 PM
A fish bum question. Can you take the front diff, axles and and drive shaft run it with out them? Cause you would save the weight of all of that as I know Mrs mudsane would never take it offroad. Ever!. And I could fit- E lockers in the front and back and chuck em in mine.
Well you could but its going to be very hard and extremely noisy trying to get down the road. ...... will be easier to climb in and out though

mudnut
28th January 2017, 02:09 PM
Why, The diff housing is still there, and the stub axle is unaffected. Would save almost a 100ks in weight. That would add up to a lot of fuel over a lot of ks. Just have to fashion a plate to cover the empty housing. I would chuck the rear centre from mine in the rear as it is a 4.3 GU diff anyway.

Clunk
28th January 2017, 02:29 PM
Why, The diff housing is still there, and the stub axle is unaffected. Would save almost a 100ks in weight. That would add up to a lot of fuel over a lot of ks. Just have to fashion a plate to cover the empty housing. I would chuck the rear centre from mine in the rear as it is a 4.3 GU diff anyway.
"Can you take the front diff, axles and and drive shaft run it with out them? "

Is this not what you said previously?........ and yes I'm being a smart arse [emoji12]

mudnut
28th January 2017, 02:55 PM
I can't tell when I'm dealing with you:P

Yeti's Beast
28th January 2017, 07:39 PM
Ours must've been a Friday car.

My new Triton must of been built on a Friday [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
28th January 2017, 08:47 PM
Why, what's up with it?

mudski
28th January 2017, 11:29 PM
Why, what's up with it?
Its a Mitsubishi Craig. Thats whats up with it.
And to your question prior. Yes you can run without axles and diff centre no problem. You just need to cover up the big hole left from the diff centre.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

mudnut
28th January 2017, 11:39 PM
It might be an option then. Just a matter of keeping the parts stored correctly. It would also negate the need to lock the hubs in every month or so.

BigRAWesty
29th January 2017, 07:00 AM
Ok instead of a teritry what about the trusty falcon wagon?
Ba is the last run of em but the leafy rear with solid axle rids most the problems the later models have with independent suspension.
Still the straight petrol but cruzing on 100kmh i get 8L/100.
Goes to 10/100 @ 110kmh.
And around 15 around town.
You know how tall i am. If i have the seat right back i cant touch the pedals!!!
And with the seat back i can still sit in the rear.
We can fit 3 baby seats across the back so id say 3 adults is pretty easy.
Looking around $10k for a good condition late model ba series 3 i think.
That sounds like its in your budget..

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

mudnut
29th January 2017, 10:06 AM
This is what I have been telling her for years! For some reason, she doesn't like the Falcons or Commodores. I saw a 2010 Falcon wagon at Auto City, and she cringed.. I think she prefers the more upright seating position, which is what I like too. The only things I don't like about a Kluger is the name and it runs a V6 which would be an expensive exercise to repair.

threedogs
29th January 2017, 10:38 AM
Why, what's up with it?

My youngest has a 2016 poverty pack Triton dual cab as a work vehicle.
Does a few miles in it and no problems to date.
Why they give you a work truck with no "bluetooth" is beyond me
Ford Explorer???

TPC
29th January 2017, 12:01 PM
My youngest has a 2016 poverty pack Triton dual cab as a work vehicle.
Does a few miles in it and no problems to date.
Why they give you a work truck with no "bluetooth" is beyond me
Ford Explorer???

Surely you would not seriously suggest a Ford Exploder?

MarionCohrs
30th January 2017, 09:38 PM
mazda 6 wagon definitely.

mudnut
15th February 2017, 11:16 AM
I test drove a 07 Territory which drove beautifully had a near perfect interior and was mechanically sound. The 4 speed auto performed well. When I looked at all the usual rust prone points, I discovered that rust had set in under the spot welded plates where the engine bay meet the pillars. Easily fixed, but I looked into the cavities in the front guard and found major rust damage. The salesperson was most put out that he hadn't seen it when he bought at auction. Living on the coast would kill any Territory in a couple of years..

threedogs
15th February 2017, 12:18 PM
what about a Camry wagon must have a good motor as most taxi are Camry's
plus they use that stop start hybrid technology and from talking to the taxi drivers
the motor is good for 800K plus

mudnut
15th February 2017, 01:10 PM
I would have check out the dimensions inside, cheers, TD.

threedogs
15th February 2017, 03:57 PM
I would have check out the dimensions inside, cheers, TD.

They are pretty roomy inside, very deceiving, but like
modern cars it was hard to see where the front of the car is for parking
but it would have sensors for that Id think, good dash lay out etc

garett
16th February 2017, 07:48 AM
what about a Camry wagon must have a good motor as most taxi are Camry's
plus they use that stop start hybrid technology and from talking to the taxi drivers
the motor is good for 800K plus

yeah you'd think. we run the hybrid camry if you don't change the oil on time every time you will have problems (5000km) don't expect the battery to go past 160 000km. (more than 3k). give me a pm if you want to know more about em.

mudnut
16th February 2017, 11:04 AM
I have discounted a hybrid, ATM.
The EB I am using has dual fuel and yet again I found some very shoddy workmanship done on the conversion. An A/C hose was rubbing on the coil of a gas solenoid at idle. The solenoid was loose and was rolling to and fro on the metal tube. The tank is due for a re-test too.

Throbbinhood
16th February 2017, 01:03 PM
Check out the VW Passat. I bought an 08 model, probably six months ago for a bit under your budget. All the luxuries, 2L turbo diesel has plenty of poke and gets 4.6L/100km on the open road, averages just under 6L/100km on mixed driving. Much roomier inside than they may originally look. 6 speed auto is a good box if serviced regularly, stay away from the later 7 speed. It's the most comfortable car I've ever owned, and is so much nicer to drive, even spirited driving around corners than my XR6T ever was.

mudnut
16th February 2017, 10:50 PM
Will have a look but not keen on another engine that uses a timing belt. Apparently a lot of the VWs from that era chew a lot of engine oil. Have you found that with yours?

Throbbinhood
17th February 2017, 10:18 AM
Nope mine's been fine so far. 8,000kms since last service, haven't had to top it up as it's still sitting at the high mark.

For reference, ours had just under 120k kms, full service history through dealer, leather, heated seats, dynaudio, few other bits and bobs, front and rear parking sensors are mint. Paid around 11500 from memory from a dealer. It's the missus daily, I do close to 1k kms a week so pointless putting that on a new car, I've got an old shitter astra for that. A full tank lasts her over a month. Have never gotten less than 1000kms from a tank. On long highway trips get a bit over 1200km's, and I'm generally pretty spirited.

The only thing I wished I'd gotten was the satnav, but can get an android based player to suit cheap enough at some stage. Can also get factory floor lighting, under door lighting etc, kits on ebay if it wasn't optioned from factory.

If you are ever around Pakky and want to take a look, sing out and we'll tee something up.

mudnut
17th February 2017, 10:52 AM
No worries. It may happen as I will have to go to the Burbs to look at some cars. I got the EB 4.0 dynotuned today. It got 93 kw on gas and 95 kw on petrol.