PDA

View Full Version : New Member

John43ls
21st January 2017, 05:53 PM
Hi All,
In possession of a 1998 Patrol GU Ti 4.5l wagon which I want to use as a town car (!!!) around the Gold Coast. I enjoy the height and the load capacity with the second and third seat rows removed. It is dual fuel. To improve efficiency, is there any way it can be made front wheel drive only, and possibly single fuel thus removing one set of gear (petrol or gas) or have I lost it?
Regards, John.

threedogs
21st January 2017, 06:47 PM
Hi John and welcome to the forum you can convert the front hubs so only the rear is driving
and yes you could strip out the gas if thats what you really want to do.
In the meantime jump in anytime you like and most of all enjoy,

Dhuck
22nd January 2017, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

John43ls
22nd January 2017, 11:14 AM
Thanks, three dogs. Not sure if you understood what I would like to do. Can I drive the front wheels only like most of the smaller production cars?. This would have to be done through the transfer case and front diff. The tail shaft would be removed along with the rear diff. This patrol has 300,000 kms up, the great majority at 2H, I believe. This leads me to think that the forward transmission is still in good nick and considering I only want to go to the local tip etc, not off-road. This is sacrilege to many of your members of course, but I'm wondering if it can be done.
Regards, John43ls.

John43ls
22nd January 2017, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Threedogs. I inadvertently replied in Dhucks reply space. Can you check my reply to him? I am a very slow three finger typer, and it will save me a lot of time.
Regards, John43ls.

threedogs
22nd January 2017, 11:34 AM
ripping tail shafts out etc and only using your front diff to drive would in
my opinion use a heck of a lot more fuel than just leaving it RWD.
Think about it if it was deemed better wouldnt we hear more about it
not just your question on it. If it aint broke ??????????????????

RB30Turbo
23rd January 2017, 05:32 PM
Sell it so it can be use for what it was made for and buy a Hyundai Getz with a tow bar :)

Cheaper and far more efficient.

John43ls
23rd January 2017, 08:03 PM
Nah. It's a great ride from way up there as you would know. Just seemed a good idea at the time.

Shiftyshep
24th January 2017, 03:36 AM
Welcome mate Lots of good info here!!!