PDA

View Full Version : Cooling heating vents full of leaves and junk

Vbon
19th January 2017, 01:12 AM
Hi, does anyone know how to clean inside the vents. When I turn on the fan cooling or heating it makes a noise. I can hear leaves and other junk in there and wondering what's the best way to get them out? It's a patrol 1994 dx gq.

dom14
19th January 2017, 04:14 PM
Try attaching a vacuum cleaner to a vent hole and suck the crud out.
You can also use compressed air gun if you have access to a compressor.
Other than that, removing and cleaning the duct pipes on the bench is the only way I reckon.

mudnut
19th January 2017, 07:07 PM
Very easy to take out the glove box and drop the fan to get access.

I drilled a series of small holes around the edge of the fan's inlet and used cable ties to secure some stainless mesh.

The mesh supports some stainless fly wire with a filter made from a thin slice of the nylon filter used in fish tanks, sandwiched between them.

Works like a bought one.

It is a good idea to have a real good go at cleaning the air con fins while you are in there.

dom14
19th January 2017, 08:21 PM
Very easy to take out the glove box and drop the fan to get access.

I drilled a series of small holes around the edge of the fan's inlet and used cable ties to secure some stainless mesh.

The mesh supports some stainless fly wire with a filter made from a thin slice of the nylon filter used in fish tanks, sandwiched between them.

Works like a bought one.

It is a good idea to have a real good go at cleaning the air con fins while you are in there.

Great idea. I'm gonna do the same with mine.

mudnut
19th January 2017, 08:48 PM
I used the mesh from a Leaf Eater we have on our house. I think you can buy the mesh separately, from a plumbing supplies store.

I made it so that I only have to drop the unit out and snip a couple of the cable ties to lift the top piece of mesh to access the fly wire and to change the filter.

If there is a heap of leaves and crap in the vents, then it might be a good idea to pull the windscreen wipers off and take vent panel off and clear it all out. That is where rust starts. I have rebuilt all of that on another car. It was a very big job and I had to buy a TIG welder to do it.