PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge

Mc4by
18th January 2017, 10:08 PM
My Patrol came with both the boost and egt gauge in the pillar pods.
The boost works fine but the egt never worked properly. Either stuck on 0, stuck on 10 or bouncing from side to side.
Can anyone direct me to a good replacement available in W.A.?
All the work has been done so it should be a straight swap.

4bye4
18th January 2017, 10:24 PM
If you are going to do a straight swap, what do you have now, the one that's faulty? Are you sure it's the gauge and not wiring or the sensor?

Mc4by
18th January 2017, 10:55 PM
If you are going to do a straight swap, what do you have now, the one that's faulty? Are you sure it's the gauge and not wiring or the sensor?

A good question indeed.
I have no idea what the cause of the issue is. The original owner said it hadn't worked for ages.
I assumed either way I would have to replace the whole item as it would be hard wired to the gauge.
I will get the name of the gauge in the morning, when I find my magnifying glass....the font is so small....it is a cheap ebay version according to my mechanic.

4bye4
18th January 2017, 11:32 PM
A good question indeed.
I have no idea what the cause of the issue is. The original owner said it hadn't worked for ages.
I assumed either way I would have to replace the whole item as it would be hard wired to the gauge.
I will get the name of the gauge in the morning, when I find my magnifying glass....the font is so small....it is a cheap ebay version according to my mechanic.

I'm no expert by any means, but to me if its going from nothing to everything, it may just be a loose connection. And yes you usually need to get a complete "set" including sensor and not just a gauge. Someone on here will have suggestion I'm sure. I have redarc gauges and they are not cheep. I managed to get a good deal from a mate who sold his patrol.

Mc4by
19th January 2017, 12:25 AM
I appreciate your input 4bye4 and I will pop the pod tomorrow and check all connections from the dump pipe to the gauge.
I realise the 'brand' name gauges are more expensive but they do stand behind the product a bit more than the Chinese EBay sellers.

gubigfish
19th January 2017, 09:44 AM
This won't fit in your pillar pod but I have 2 one in my GQ which I no longer own and now in my GU ute. Will have to order it but will be here within a week http://www.thermoguard.com.au/ I've mounted mine on top of the steering column in a plastic case they supply on top of the gauge cost. You'll just need to work out what thread is in your existing port in the dump pipe.

You can see half the egt gauge in this photo.

threedogs
19th January 2017, 10:12 AM
Do you know where the probe is fitted in the dump pipe,???
most have them fitted 100mm to150mm post turbo

Mc4by
19th January 2017, 04:08 PM
Do you know where the probe is fitted in the dump pipe,???
most have them fitted 100mm to150mm post turbo

The sensor is attached here...

The cable is quite long and the installer has run it towards the passenger side and then doubled back to the grommet on the drivers side.

4bye4
19th January 2017, 05:02 PM
Mine follows the same way as you don't want to cut that cable
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/103.jpg
This is the gauge set up on the pillar pohttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mc4by
20th January 2017, 04:15 PM
Having a working gauge highlighted another shortfall for me.... what is a good EGT reading?
I assume it will vary from idle to climbing in 4L.

4bye4
20th January 2017, 07:41 PM
Having a working gauge highlighted another shortfall for me.... what is a good EGT reading?
I assume it will vary from idle to climbing in 4L.

I am not really sure what your temps should be. I know mine often is below 300 around the suburbs but will increase rapidly when you get on the loud pedal either on the open road or uphill. Under hard acceleration I will get up to 550 but normally sits at 350 to 450 mark, moving when accelerating or cruising. I would get nervous if it went north of say 600, and the further and faster it went the more worried I would become. Pretty much getting used to what your truck does and be alert if it changes for no reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk