PDA

View Full Version : Vms mounting position

Laurie TD42T
16th January 2017, 04:10 PM
G'day fellers just wondering if anyone has made or bought a different mounting system for there off road gps. I'm not a fan of having it on the windscreen due to the blind spot.
Thanks

gubigfish
16th January 2017, 04:20 PM
I haven't bought one yet but I have seen ones that use the bolts in the seat rails to hold the flexible arm in place.

MudRunnerTD
16th January 2017, 04:33 PM
I haven't bought one yet but I have seen ones that use the bolts in the seat rails to hold the flexible arm in place.

mudski has one of those and it seems pretty good.

I have a GUIV which is the same and all GUs from GU4 up and i have a RAM Mount fitted into the top glove box where the factory GPS is supposed to go. From that i mount an iPad in a RAM Mount and its been bloody good.

AB
16th January 2017, 04:57 PM
mudski has one of those and it seems pretty good. I have a GUIV which is the same and all GUs from GU4 up and i have a RAM Mount fitted into the top glove box where the factory GPS is supposed to go. From that i mount an iPad in a RAM Mount and its been bloody good. is yours a similar to my ram mount I used for satphone?

Does it shake much?

MudRunnerTD
16th January 2017, 05:14 PM
is yours a similar to my ram mount I used for satphone?

Does it shake much?

Not at all mate. it has been great. It rests on the ledge though too so heaps of support. the arm is 150mm long i think and it hangs down so i can't see the radio too well but its all good.

I could probably place something under it to lift it up out of the way but it has not been an issue so far

MudRunnerTD
16th January 2017, 05:15 PM
So the iPad RAM Mount i have is designed to take an iPad size tablet and stretches at each end then clamps the iPad firmly. Ball joint on the back clamps to the mount

AB
16th January 2017, 05:49 PM
So the iPad RAM Mount i have is designed to take an iPad size tablet and stretches at each end then clamps the iPad firmly. Ball joint on the back clamps to the mount Any photos and price?

Once finances get back in order this is s must for me I'm just throwing my iPad on the passenger seat and constantly stopping to check, annoying yes, convenient No!

Laurie TD42T
16th January 2017, 05:51 PM
Mine is a series 1 so no top glove box. Forgot to mention that

Wizard52
17th January 2017, 11:50 AM
Mine is mounted at top of windscreen next to rear vision mirror with power lead running across passenger's sun visor and then down to dash via grab handle.
One day I'l get around to supplying power from above roof lining. Works really well and is nice and close to see easily and to change maps or zoom in and out. Would be legal as well as it is still level with bottom of sun visor and does not restrict vision.
Will post photo when I go down to the shed.

TimE
17th January 2017, 11:57 AM
Check my write up here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?25079-Aldi-10-quot-Tablet-for-Navigation-and-Comms) RAM mount with 10" tablet

Laurie TD42T
17th January 2017, 01:51 PM
Mine is mounted at top of windscreen next to rear vision mirror with power lead running across passenger's sun visor and then down to dash via grab handle.
One day I'l get around to supplying power from above roof lining. Works really well and is nice and close to see easily and to change maps or zoom in and out. Would be legal as well as it is still level with bottom of sun visor and does not restrict vision.
Will post photo when I go down to the shed.

Thanks Wizard. I never thought about putting it up there.
I just read through your posts and found a picture of it.
I will give that a go.
Thanks again. Mitch👍

Wizard52
17th January 2017, 03:51 PM
Photo attached as promised.

mudski
21st January 2017, 01:17 AM
mudski has one of those and it seems pretty good.

I have a GUIV which is the same and all GUs from GU4 up and i have a RAM Mount fitted into the top glove box where the factory GPS is supposed to go. From that i mount an iPad in a RAM Mount and its been bloody good.
Yeah mine is the Ram Mount brand, and it mounts to the seat base mount. Great quality. Barely shakes when off road too. Well worth the coin.

threedogs
21st January 2017, 11:59 AM
I mix n matched some ram mounts and ended up with
some thing that velcoed to my dash mat in front of the driver
but it could go on the centre ontop of the dash.
Isnt it law now that all GPS be in front of the driver, not to the side??

Wizard52
22nd January 2017, 08:17 AM
I mix n matched some ram mounts and ended up with
some thing that velcoed to my dash mat in front of the driver
but it could go on the centre ontop of the dash.
Isnt it law now that all GPS be in front of the driver, not to the side??

I thought it must not obstruct your vision so that is why I put mine up top. Also it is close enough so I don't have to put on my reading glasses to see it.
All the in dash factory units must be legal ? and they are are normally in the middle.

clubbyr8
22nd January 2017, 11:16 AM
My Garmin is mounted in a Ram mount holder which is bolted directly to the back of the flip up compartment above the radio. Doesn't move or vibrate....

threedogs
22nd January 2017, 11:28 AM
I thought it must not obstruct your vision so that is why I put mine up top. Also it is close enough so I don't have to put on my reading glasses to see it.
All the in dash factory units must be legal ? and they are are normally in the middle.

Maybe they ammended the law when most GPS became std fitment,
Had a quick look but couldnt find anything