PDA

View Full Version : Calling W.A. members

Mc4by
14th January 2017, 02:34 PM
I have been doing a bit of searching for W.A. offroad maps.
Lots of GPS units are out there and even some free maps from geoscience.
What I am after are maps of the more common offroad trails and tracks.
There seems to be plenty of options for the Eastern Stater's but I have not been successful looking for W.A. maps.
I don't want to spend $700 plus for something that just follows bitumen.
Any assistance/direction would be appreciated.

DX grunt
14th January 2017, 04:57 PM
There's a purely dedicated 4wd Club in WA called Western Patrol Club. You might want to consider joining. Lots of members there. I'm sure there are a couple that would at least be able to help you.

Rossco

stevemc181
14th January 2017, 05:25 PM
The maps available for WA are pretty basic, with most, if not all being outdated. I use a mix of Hema, Westprint, Natmap etc and have some down to resolutions of 50 and 25k for the South West. I don't use these much as they are more for bushwalking than driving. I find I can get by on a mix of the Hema 4wd maps and the Westprint maps. I run Oziexplorer on an Android Tablet, you can buy this for about $25 but really need the full version of OZI on a PC if you want to do any detailed trip planning with it.

I think the Chart and Map shop at Fremantle may run courses on Ozi Explorer, these would be worth doing if you aren't familiar with moving map programs.

gropertoo
14th January 2017, 06:14 PM
G'day,

I have a HN7 Hema Navigator and have used it for prospecting in WA. It uses Ozi Explorer.

It has the capability to use manually added tracks from Google Earth etc. and there are other utilities such as GPS Babel that will allow you to convert tracks to the required format for the HN7.

Aussie Bloke Prospector on Youtube has a series of very informative videos on this subject.

Good luck.

Mc4by
15th January 2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the input.
I will have a close look at Ozi Explorer.

Skitzyrex
15th January 2017, 01:14 PM
I've just got a iPad mini with Hema 4wd and additional topo maps. In hindsight having an android unit would probably have been better, however I just record tracks when I go with others so I can find them again.

MB
25th August 2021, 10:13 PM
Sell your Patrols and buy land & tractors [emoji609] Southern Westralian Legends [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/08/194.jpg

Bumper season you deserve, wonder how them Avocados are going too ?? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stropp
26th August 2021, 10:54 AM
I have an iPad with hema maps and explorer, can also save your tracks to return later for a return run.

Trickee
30th August 2021, 02:27 AM
I have a great map app on my phone, Australia topo maps, very good for getting around wa