PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Legal Weights

Wizard52
14th January 2017, 02:08 PM
Hi all

After a trip to the Dump to dispose of old oils and weighing the ute, I started to think about weights etc. So as I had everything out of ute for cleaning, I had a good starting point to see what everything weighed and what I would need to leave out to keep within GVM. Got bathroom scales down stairs and started.

Basic vehicle cab chassis including spare tyre but no tray (from original Nissan brochure) 2015kg (ST's 2028kg, DX Leaf 2128kg)

Standard aluminum tray,Nissan bull bar, 9500lb winch with rope, tow bar, dual battery,
steel custom canopy with canvas sides, security screens,solar panel,awning 570

Driver (ok I'm a lightweight) 65

Sub total from scales at dump 2650
Fuel 180
Water tanks (3 X 50 l plastic tanks with individual taps) 15
Water (one tank only for normal use) 50
Tools box, sockets & air pump 18
Recovery gear 13
Spares (oil,belts, filters etc) 15
Trailblazer fridge/freezer (empty) 40
Kitchen (home made plywood with shelves) 30
Bed frame & bedding (storage underneath) 18
Camping gear chair & table 6
Filleting board/table 7
Gas bottle 15
Beer (12kg per 30 cans) 12
Clothes ( I travel light and normally in warm/hot weather) 10
Camera, computer etc 10

Sub total 3089

Add variables as-
Fishing gear 20
Food 25
Freezer contents- can fit 30 kg pilchards + food & extra beer 50
Total 3184kg

GVM for coil cabs is 3150kg and leafys 3400kg.

So I have a minor problem with this load but would normally carry a lot more consumables. and suggest most of us have the same issue.
Thinking of removing winch as I have not used it in anger so far and then can add extra essentials (read beer) and extra water if going bush.
It is amazing how quickly it adds up when a few extras are thrown in.
I have no doubt vehicle can handle considerably more than I carry but if some idiot hits me and if he is insured, the insurance company chases me because I am over GVM, I stand to loose everything.
I am certain that most if not all travelers I saw on my trip to the West last year would have been over GVM and CVM when towing.

dads tractor
14th January 2017, 02:28 PM
Wizard most 4x4 s heading out for a trip will be over their GVM but even worse will be the camp trailer van boat guys .I heard it spoken that the mermaids are now running the caravaners over the scales up here in Nth QLD but have yet to see it or be told first hand so dont really know if its myth or not . Just bought a canopy and its got to go to Jenny Craige .

Hodge
14th January 2017, 03:00 PM
I'm yet to see a Patrol with the usual things like, bull bar, winch, roof rack, maybe a second battery... That isn't right on or near GVM with full tanks a driver and a passenger. When I took my rig over the pits recently I s### bricks. I thought I was way under...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70546&stc=1

threedogs
14th January 2017, 03:06 PM
Plenty written on this subject, some here even have a GMV upgrade
Weight has always been the enemy of the weary 4x4 traveller, there are
plenty of ways to cut some weight, plasma winch rope is one

threedogs
14th January 2017, 03:10 PM
I'm yet to see a Patrol with the usual things like, bull bar, winch, roof rack, maybe a second battery... That isn't right on or near GVM with full tanks a driver and a passenger. When I took my rig over the pits recently I s### bricks. I thought I was way under...

what did you weigh in at ??????

stevemc181
14th January 2017, 03:14 PM
I will be taking delivery of a new GU Legend series wagon in a week or so. It is currently in getting a GVM Upgrade kit fitted, coil tower braces, rear diff lamination etc etc. This will change the GVM from 3060kg to 3505kg which should be more than enough for my needs. Being over GVM is almost a given for most vehicles on extended offroad trips, particularly when you start adding bullbars, bash plates, towbars, drawers etc. The aftermarket suppliers should be forced to tell their customers exactly what an item weighs and how it affects their load carrying capacity.

Lots of people running around with no idea on their vehicles weight and some would say that ignorance is bliss. Maybe it is, but I prefer to keep it legal if possible. Obviously doing a tough trip with the least amount of weight you can get away with is ideal, but I'm not leaving the piss at home for anyone ;)

Hodge
14th January 2017, 03:17 PM

what did you weigh in at ??????

2840kg.
So that is... both tanks full (125L), alloy roof rack, bull bar, winch with 28m of rope. 33 tyres + steel rims. Second battery + cargo barrier... My GVM is 3080.
Add me in and thats 2910. Leaves around 150kg~ to play with. Add the missus and the kid in, maybe the fridge and it's game over... That is with ZERO camping equipment added.

NissanGQ4.2
14th January 2017, 05:26 PM
I'm yet to see a Patrol with the usual things like, bull bar, winch, roof rack, maybe a second battery... That isn't right on or near GVM with full tanks a driver and a passenger.

Um cause they don't give a shit, they are not built for four wheel drivers / campers / tourers but soccer mums taking the kids 2 the shopping center......... I could say Y62 for example

mudski
14th January 2017, 05:56 PM
2840kg.
So that is... both tanks full (125L), alloy roof rack, bull bar, winch with 28m of rope. 33 tyres + steel rims. Second battery + cargo barrier... My GVM is 3080.
Add me in and thats 2910. Leaves around 150kg~ to play with. Add the missus and the kid in, maybe the fridge and it's game over... That is with ZERO camping equipment added.
Haha i weighed the exact with one tank empty and the main half full. Bar and winch only.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Wizard52
15th January 2017, 12:06 PM
I will be taking delivery of a new GU Legend series wagon in a week or so. It is currently in getting a GVM Upgrade kit fitted, coil tower braces, rear diff lamination etc etc. This will change the GVM from 3060kg to 3505kg which should be more than enough for my needs. Being over GVM is almost a given for most vehicles on extended offroad trips, particularly when you start adding bullbars, bash plates, towbars, drawers etc. The aftermarket suppliers should be forced to tell their customers exactly what an item weighs and how it affects their load carrying capacity.

Lots of people running around with no idea on their vehicles weight and some would say that ignorance is bliss. Maybe it is, but I prefer to keep it legal if possible. Obviously doing a tough trip with the least amount of weight you can get away with is ideal, but I'm not leaving the piss at home for anyone ;)

I and many others would like to know how to get GVM upgrade on the wagons and coil utes. Cuppa and others have done it with leafy's but have not heard of coils.
Could you please post what dealer does and how to get the upgrade signed off.
Agree with ignorance bit as I was talking to a 79 series ute owner over in the west last year who had a camper unit (not sure of the brand) on the back and he thought is was running at about about 4000kg. His GVM was just over 3000kg. When we had a look under the bonnet, no mod plate. He thought the mob who sold the unit to him would have everything legal but obviously not. A sale is a sale no matter what.

dads tractor
15th January 2017, 12:26 PM
I and many others would like to know how to get GVM upgrade on the wagons and coil utes. Cuppa and others have done it with leafy's but have not heard of coils.

Now there is a retirement plan for a engineer touring qld doing inspections, a bit of r+d,claiming all expenses like cvan park fuel living away from home allowances etc etc .

stevemc181
15th January 2017, 12:53 PM

The only company I have found that does a nationally approved GVM upgrade to 3505kg on the coil GU wagons is Pedders. I am having this done prior to first rego, though I think it can be done post rego, but may require further engineers inspection? I rang all the major suspension companies over here and it seems there has been a bit of a crackdown since December in WA on anyone supplying an upgrade over the factory axle limits. I found a couple who would do an upgrade to 3300kg post rego, but the cost was similar to the Pedders upgrade and did not include coil tower braces or rear diff lamination. While I have been no fan of the Pedders gear in the past, I have no first hand experience with it and it seems my hands are tied if I want the GVM upgrade to 3505kg.

Total cost is around $4464.00, this includes the diff and tower bracing, adjustable drag link and offset camber bushes (rubber)and I also need to change mine from a 7 seater to a 5 seater as that is what the kit is approved for nationally. I've attached a PDF from Pedders regarding the upgrade. 70554

Hodge
15th January 2017, 02:27 PM
Hey Steve. Will you be carrying much load continuously ?
Reason I ask is, we have a patrol at work thats not used any more so it has just the basics in it. It has gvm upgrade, and i think there is a pedders sticker at the rear so, i am assuming it is done by them. I believe this car is ex-Telstra.
What I was getting at is, without load, this car is like a shopping trolley down a set of stairs... Suspension is ridiculously stiff.

Turtle_au
15th January 2017, 06:41 PM
Reason I ask is, we have a patrol at work thats not used any more so it has just the basics in it. It has gvm upgrade, and i think there is a pedders sticker at the rear so, i am assuming it is done by them. I believe this car is ex-Telstra.
What I was getting at is, without load, this car is like a shopping trolley down a set of stairs... Suspension is ridiculously stiff.
Know that feeling. I have a Cabstar Dualcab with BD30 engine. GVM is 4040 but usually driving around with 2000 kg mostly over front beam axle. Drives like a seesaw - front goes up and down, back either doesn't move or bounces on truck tyres. Add a bit of rain with the drum brakes and it's nearly impossible to not lockup the rear.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

stevemc181
15th January 2017, 09:12 PM

Yep, It will be loaded most of the time, drawers, fridges, tools, water, fuel etc etc. The harshness of ride is pretty subjective really, I do prefer a much firmer ride though. The on road manners don't worry me much, so long as it performs in the rough stuff. It won't be spending much time empty and its surprising how quickly the weight adds up when the accessories keep coming. If I get a chance, I'll get it weighed when I pick it up and see what my starting point is with full fuel.

Cuppa
16th January 2017, 08:23 PM
Know that feeling. I have a Cabstar Dualcab with BD30 engine. GVM is 4040 but usually driving around with 2000 kg mostly over front beam axle. Drives like a seesaw - front goes up and down, back either doesn't move or bounces on truck tyres. Add a bit of rain with the drum brakes and it's nearly impossible to not lockup the rear.

For my GVM upgrade (Lovells post rego) it had to sit level & remain level under brakes. This was checked by the engineer. (Engineer was required as kit was for a 3.0litre Patrol, & fitted to a 4.2). Front coils are the same rate as originals but a bit taller. Seems to work no seesawing. Plated & legal all around Oz, but can only be sold with plate in Vic. Interstate buyer would need to get it re-engineered in their state.

Leaf cab chassis - GVM 3900kg. Travel ready we are around 3700/3800kg including 2 people, full fuel tanks (180 litres) full water tanks (around 200 litres) 3 x 120Ah batteries, roof full of solar, two fridge freezers on slides, two spares, Food, clothes spares etc, canopy, bullbar & winch & towball weight of Tvan. For more remote trips when we need to carry extra fuel in jerries we'll be close to the GVM, but that wont be very often or for long, & we may just carry less water to compensate for the extra fuel.