PDA

View Full Version : 1999 GU TD42 Alternator - Amps

relyimah
9th January 2017, 05:12 PM
Hi all!

My Alternator has completely packed it in... when I pulled it out you can see whole chunks of things that are supposed to be attached just floating around...

Anyway, the unit I have at the moment is a 70A (pic below) but when I look around on Patrolapart and the likes, I can only seem to find 100A ones...

So... would there be any issue with putting the 100A Alternator in? Would I need to change anything? Or alternatively, does anyone know where I may be able to source a new 70A one?

Ideally I want to be able to pick it up (Melbourne SE) this week / weekend so I'm back on the road for Australia Day...

Thanks in advance! [emoji106]

Ben

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/01/63.jpg

Maxhead
9th January 2017, 06:30 PM
Mate, The more amps the better. Go the biggest you can get:)
A very common mod upgrading your alternator amperage.

Winnie
9th January 2017, 06:48 PM
Mate, The more amps the better. Go the biggest you can get:)
A very common mod upgrading your alternator amperage.
Yep for sure. Just make sure if you do this you upgrade the wiring or else you will blow fuses.

relyimah
9th January 2017, 06:51 PM
Yep for sure. Just make sure if you do this you upgrade the wiring or else you will blow fuses.

Thanks Winnie - this is what I was concerned about... not too sure what I would need to upgrade though??

From what I could see I think there is already a 100A fuse under the bonnet (near the main battery) so I may be ok so long as I don't go any higher?

Maxhead
9th January 2017, 07:01 PM
I think you just upgrade the earth strap and the charge wire to the battery. Just need to get a thicker cable to handle more juice

Sir Roofy
9th January 2017, 07:37 PM
Hey Ben the 100 amp from Patrol a part work fine as said maybe just a couple of cables
I didn't just used what I have

relyimah
10th January 2017, 06:56 AM
Thanks Roofy... That's what I like to hear!
I'll order one today and pick it up on the weekend.

Cheers everyone!

Winnie
10th January 2017, 07:01 AM
I would seriously recommend upgrading the cables and fuse... I just ran a seperate 16mm2 cable from the alternator to the battery via a 120A circuit breaker.
If you don't and you do some winching or something where you will pull the full amount from the alternator you will blow the main fuse. You will get no power whatsoever to anything. Alternator will not charge, no starter motor etc...

Speaking from experience.

relyimah
10th January 2017, 07:18 AM
Winnie,

Which wires do I upgrade mate? (haven't played in this area before)
From what I recall, there is a plug with 2 very thin wires, and then two others bolted onto the unit.

Not a patrol diagram but shows the same concept - assume I would be upgrading "B" and "E" from the alternator? Or would I need to do all 4?
:confused:

Winnie
10th January 2017, 07:44 AM
Correct, B & E

I left the original wiring there and used a larger welding flex cable direct from battery to alternator, and the same from alternator to chassis.

relyimah
10th January 2017, 07:48 AM
Correct, B & E

I left the original wiring there and used a larger welding flex cable direct from battery to alternator, and the same from alternator to chassis.

Left it there as in left them wired in and added additional? or left it disconnected and ran your own wires? Sorry for all the questions mate... Much appreciated!

MudRunnerTD
10th January 2017, 08:35 AM
Left it there as in left them wired in and added additional? or left it disconnected and ran your own wires? Sorry for all the questions mate... Much appreciated!

add capacity, so he doubled up the wiring. that makes it even easier mate.

relyimah
10th January 2017, 08:40 AM
add capacity, so he doubled up the wiring. that makes it even easier mate.

Thanks Darren. Though wouldn't that burn out the smaller fuse/wire still?
...or does 2x 70A = ~140A?

MudRunnerTD
10th January 2017, 09:27 AM
It shouldn't. because the smaller wire will never see fun load, it will always split and the bigger wire will take more as its less likely to suffer voltage drop. on an extreme basis if your winching and your alternator is delivering everything then it will be shared load. The useable link is there to protect the wire and the battery. it should be smaller than the wire it is protecting, everything else in the car is fused beyond this link so is should not be an issue.

Winnie
10th January 2017, 09:31 AM
Thanks Darren. Though wouldn't that burn out the smaller fuse/wire still?
...or does 2x 70A = ~140A?

Yeah I left the old wire in and is now redundant.
It actually has blown that main fuse but does not matter as I have added my own.

relyimah
10th January 2017, 09:35 AM
Thanks everyone! Think I have a handle on this now... I hope :bananadancing:

relyimah
10th January 2017, 12:59 PM
Alternator purchased from Patrolapart... to be picked up Saturday... even saved a couple of dollars thanks to this lovely mob!

Cheers again! :thumbup:

Hodge
10th January 2017, 02:05 PM
Nice work Ben I was there this Saturday just gone. Top blokes in there never a hard question or hard part to find.

Sent from S5