PDA

View Full Version : Sqeaallling loud noisey new brakes

Peter Kalamaras
25th April 2011, 11:27 PM
Hi All,
Just got new rotors and new disk brakes on my GQ 96, and the brakes are making a horrible high high pitch noise which is driving me absolutely mad, Does anyone know how i can stop the noise, it happens when they heat up.The mechanic said that they'll quieten down but its been 1 month and i getting sick of the noise

Help
PK

MudRunnerTD
25th April 2011, 11:41 PM
Stick the garden hose into each wheel mate and see if you can wash the brake dust out. It may help. Generally the squeal can come from the initial Bed in from the pads and disks creating excess brake dust.

A month sounds like a long time though and something else may be wrong. Give your Mechanic a slap around mate, he should be able to make this go away. You paid him!! If he cant fix it then he should rip it all off and fit something else!

the evil twin
25th April 2011, 11:41 PM
Could be pad dust from the new pads... What brand of pads and did you bed them in at all?

Try giving the rotors a wipe with a rag and some metho (not when they are hot).

Is it from all of th wheels or just 1 or 2 ?

the evil twin
25th April 2011, 11:44 PM
Doh... must type faster...

MudRunnerTD
25th April 2011, 11:46 PM
LOL yeah was just reading yours and thought "Ner Ner...Nerner ner"

:smileyvault-cute-bi

Cheers Evil ;)

the evil twin
25th April 2011, 11:56 PM
Hehehehe...

jeez I hope it is brake dust tho or we will both be eating crow

Yendor
26th April 2011, 01:35 PM
I think MudRunner and Evil Twin are more then likely correct with their brake dust theory or it could be a combination of the pads and rotors they have used.

Crawl under the vehicle and have a look at all the brakes, check for any strange wear marks in the rotors and make sure the brake caliper bolts are tight.

I would also take it back to the mechanic.

Ben-e-boy
26th April 2011, 05:11 PM
It could also be that the anti-squeel shim is not there.

Peter Kalamaras
26th April 2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone Im not sure what brake Pads he used but he did say it was a heavy duty set and it's both front tyres, I definitely will take it back because it's doing my head in . Com thanks everyone

timbar
26th April 2011, 11:30 PM
and it is only when you are braking or is it all the time ??