PDA

View Full Version : MAF Cleaner.

clubbyr8
6th January 2017, 09:37 AM
Has anyone used CRC or WD40 Contact Cleaner to clean their MAF? I've seen elsewhere that people have used it with good results but I was wondering if any Patrol owner has used it....

Hodge
6th January 2017, 10:14 AM
This is the one I used mate. CRC brand. Used it all the time on my 2009 CRD. Never had dramas. First time I ever used it a fair bit of darker oil, grime or whatever it is, came off the sensor... I then cleaned it everytime I serviced the car, every 5k.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70469&stc=1

4bye4
6th January 2017, 10:18 AM
I use what Hodge said but only a couple of times a year. A can lasts forever, I don't think I would be trying other stuff.

Softy
6th January 2017, 11:39 AM
CRC/WD40 is to harsh and leaves a film on the MAF.. use the proper CRC MAF cleaner above.

Irish
7th January 2017, 08:06 AM
CRC/WD40 is to harsh and leaves a film on the MAF.. use the proper CRC MAF cleaner above.

Pretty much this, should never use anything which leaves residue on the sensor. Maf cleaner is the only way to go.

Tony's 4.8
7th January 2017, 10:06 AM
I agree. I would not use anything elase other than the dedicated MAF cleaner. Also read somehwhere, no matter how dirty or oily it looks, dont touch the insides with anything (including cotton budds or rags) for fear of dammaging the sensor. I just spray the crap out of mine, let it dry (dries very quickly) and then repeat the process about 4 times. Then let it dry and put it back in. (Hope this is how I am suppose to do it). I was also advised to disconnect the battery at the same time for 5-10 minutes so that the computer resets and the computer then re-starts its learning process again while gatthering data from all the sensors.

Hodge
7th January 2017, 10:36 AM
Correct like Tony said. NEVER physically touch the sensor part of the MAF. Let the cleaner do the work. Also the MAF cleaner evaporates fairly quickly too. Within minutes it generally just dissipates off the MAF. But even despite this always make sure MAF is dry before re-fitting it. 2

clubbyr8
9th January 2017, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses. The WD40 3 in 1 contact cleaner doesn't leave any residue and works extremely well as a contact cleaner. Having said that, I bought a can of CRC MAF cleaner.... :)

jack180
9th January 2017, 09:38 PM
MAF cleaner is basically electrical contact cleaner
I still have cans of Dick Smith contact cleaner, and been using them to clean MAF sensors for years
Jaycar sell contact cleaner - from memory about 1/3 the price of the branded MAF cleaner at supercrap