PDA

View Full Version : Old newbie from northeast vic , hello everyone.

GQtdauto
6th January 2017, 07:06 AM
Hello everyone I'm from northeast Victoria close to Glenrowen and some great mountain 4wdriving , I have a 1994 GQ TD 4.2 auto RX turbo , when I brought it it had a tjm bullbar and driving lights but only about 210,000 Ks on the clock .
Have put 33s , 2" lift , roof rack and rooftop tent , just changed the awning for a 2.5 x 2.5 one have also fitted dual battery system and tyredog tpms system the one that goes inside the tyre .
Waiting on the rear draws to arrive in a couple of weeks .
We have just brought the new Opus camper trailer and hope to test it out in the Wonnangatta next week .

Robert

Ps
We also have a 2002 GU 3ltr , yes the hand grenade model but it's been around oz three times lugging a big van and still purring like a kitten .

threedogs
6th January 2017, 12:46 PM
Hello Robert and welcome to the forum,jump in anytime you like and enjoy

GQtdauto
6th January 2017, 01:01 PM
Loving it so far , have to the speedo mod and "ripper" has helped me already with an auto mod I wanted to do .

4bye4
6th January 2017, 03:08 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum. And yes there are a lot of non grenades out there, just people don't complain about motors working properly.

GQtdauto
6th January 2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks 4bye4 , but even my regular mechanic is still waiting for it to go bang , seems it just wants to keep him waiting .

Dhuck
6th January 2017, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

GQtdauto
6th January 2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks Dhuck !

ripper
6th January 2017, 08:14 PM
That's a nice area you live in GQtdauto.
Is your GQ a factory auto and an official import, or a grey import? There aren't many TD autos around.

GQtdauto
6th January 2017, 09:37 PM
I believe it's factory one of the 200 odd that snuck in , but not sure other than looking at compliance plate how to tell .
It has that 43 whatever stamp .

GQtdauto
6th January 2017, 09:58 PM
Just remembered when I was looking for a GQ I wanted a manual with low Ks but at that time the only one I could find in TD 4.2 was in Orange , it was advertised as being one of the rare factory autos but all I saw was the turbo diesel 4.2 in good nick low Ks .
Could have bought a brand new cruiser at the time but no had to have a GQ , met two guys outside supercheap with a map on the bonnet of a GQ and got to talking , his was a factory orig but the previous owner converted it to manual and he was spewing when he realised .
I'm not sure but I thought he said on the compliance plate it should have that auto number if it's orig which mine has but I've never checked to see if it was factory 4.2 though .

Corsta0211
7th January 2017, 05:33 PM
Hey mate, welcome to the forum.

GQtdauto
7th January 2017, 07:10 PM
Thanks Corsta .

ripper
7th January 2017, 08:42 PM
I believe it's factory one of the 200 odd that snuck in

Nice. We had to get an auto for my wife. Would've loved a TD but all the ones I could find were way too expensive.

I've thought about converting ours but I've got too many projects already.

MB
7th January 2017, 08:45 PM
Welcome aboard Robert !

GQtdauto
7th January 2017, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=ripper;710538]Nice. We had to get an auto for my wife. Would've loved a TD but all the ones I could find were way too expensive.

my mechanic who is also a GQ junkie told his wife Nissan didn't make an auto for the td4.2 , the first time he worked on it his missus seen it and chewed him out he told me not to bring it back unless she was away .
Just reinsured mine at $12 thou but was just looking around and there's one for $17 thou for sale .
Lots of various stories around about the 4.2td auto don't know which if any are correct , seen 200 imports and then 100 imports .
I see what you mean by grey import being second hand imports .

GQtdauto
7th January 2017, 09:32 PM
Thanks MB I'm learning a lot .

MB
7th January 2017, 09:41 PM
Me too mate :-) Since joining this awesome knowledge base I've learnt numerous ways to keep myself alive too! There's some very knowledgable recovery blokes on here, it's not all nuts & bolts on our beloved Trols. Trips, tricks and all round some good fun can be had too :-) !

GQtdauto
8th January 2017, 07:56 AM
That's right MB , although some thought I was mad in what I was trying to do with my auto they still gave me the help I needed and the cautions of what could happen .

Yetiman
10th January 2017, 04:48 PM
Welcome mate..

Kami
11th January 2017, 10:29 AM
sounds like a great combination!!

Shiftyshep
24th January 2017, 03:46 AM
Welcome mate Lots of good info here!!!

GQtdauto
24th January 2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks shiftyshep .

Avo
24th January 2017, 11:04 PM
well i'll be,fancy finding you here...had one meself once.....now i just drive the wifes GU
the old girl,i heard more like 500 made it here
my old gqtd auto 4.2

GQtdauto
25th January 2017, 07:05 AM
Thanks Avo , Nice place Pemberton , stayed just out of town at a place called Ayre saleen I think it was called for about a week .
Have to admit the wife's 3 litre GU goes like a rocket and is completely different to drive to the GQ , as for the number of imports I still have no idea on exact figure but I believe they were all 1994 models .
Love the south coast of WA especially Albany where we have some good friends .