PDA

View Full Version : Battery Power

Mc4by
5th January 2017, 12:26 AM
I have been researching auxiliary battery systems for my GU2.
I have cabling through to the rear that was installed by the previous owner.
He said he used to move the battery between there and his boat and van depending on what he needed.
I didn't get the battery with the vehicle.
I have heard that deep cycle batteries don't like NOT being used and will shorten their life quickly if not drained and re-charged regularly.
As I am likely to do weekends at best most of the year I am looking for suggestions as to the best battery to get.
I would like to run camp lights and maybe a small fridge, not much else although that may change after a few trips away.
I have all the wiring and even the wiring to a cig socket and Anderson plug that will become live once the battery is in place.

Maybe I just need an esky and ice and a battery lamp....

BillsGU
5th January 2017, 09:51 AM
I have bought many batteries for 4WDs over the years. Cheap ones, expensive ones, exotic ones (read here very expensive) and others. I have found that regardless of what I buy and the brand of vehicle I use it in they all last around two years with the type of use I put them through. I now buy the cheapest and largest capacity battery that will fit in the space, and again, it lasts around two years. I buy plain lead acid for the starting battery and a hybrid for the auxillary. I use a scriber to engrave the date and place of purchase and keep any warranty documents until the warranty runs out. I also have a meter to regularly check the batteries with, and it can predict battery failure before it actually happens. Unlike many of my mates - I have yet to have a battery fail in the bush.

macca
5th January 2017, 10:34 AM
A tip
Make sure the auxiliary battery fits where the starting battery sits.
If the starter ever fails you have a potential spare.
Happened to us after welding a mates trailer.
2 batteries failed a few days later.
Grabbed the auxiliary and it was too long. Needed to be tow started for 2 weeks on th he CSR. It was not enjoyable having to rely on another all the time.

BillsGU
5th January 2017, 11:57 AM
Grabbed the auxiliary and it was too long. Needed to be tow started for 2 weeks on th he CSR. It was not enjoyable having to rely on another all the time.

Why not just use jumper leads from the auxiliary battery to the main to start it?

4bye4
5th January 2017, 12:10 PM
Why not just use jumper leads from the auxiliary battery to the main to start it?

In fact assuming both the cranker and the aux are earthed to the chassis/engine, you only need one jumper lead from +ve to +ve.

macca
5th January 2017, 12:29 PM
Good point. But...
Cranker was too fat away from the auxiliary that is in the pod.
The auxiliary is all low current so cables are smaller, wieght saving it all helps.
Someone else bought the leads, they wouldn't start a lawnmower.
Left a rope on the bull bar, it was easier to tow.
Now I have a lightweight starter kit would use that now.

4bye4
5th January 2017, 12:49 PM
Yea mate, if the aux is in the pod I see your point. T'was a good idea though.
cheers

BillsGU
5th January 2017, 03:47 PM
Yep - I came across a 4X4 in the high country a few months ago that had a flat battery. They had the fridge running all night and the car would not start in the morning (only one battery of course). A guy was trying to help them with jumper leads that IMHO would not power a set of headphones. They came up with all bullshyte theories as to why it would not start and when they had finished I used a set of real jumper leads and it started straight away.

I see your point though - towing was the way to go.

threedogs
5th January 2017, 04:49 PM
be carefull which battery you mount inside the Patrol,even the fumes will rot everything
I run a wet cell 115AH trojan better bang for your $$$$ just make sure you keep the water up to them.
With LED lights these day battery life is extended a touch, and combined with a solar Panel
should see long weekends better.
I have a freind who swaps both batteries every 2 yrs regardless on condition

macca
5th January 2017, 06:45 PM
Those little car starter gizmos work well. Our is rated at 600amp and starts a big lazy 6 cylinder diesel preheating it too. The MIL's Laser wouldn't open the boot put the pack on and it started as if it had a fully charged battery instead of the stone motherless flat one. Amazing gadget and can be recharged one the engine is running.

BillsGU
6th January 2017, 11:36 AM
I trialled a number of these devices when they started to appear on the market about three years ago. At that time none of them started a cold GU ZD30. All of their promotional videos and such showed the device connected across the existing battery - so the battery was still assisting in the start. I disconnected the battery completely and used the device only (simulating a dead flat battery) and no - it would not start the diesel Patrol. The later high current ones did not have a problem starting a 4 cylinder petrol though.

I only mention this because if you are relying on this device to start your dead flat, cold diesel in the middle of no where - you may be disappointed. Try it as a stand alone first.