PDA

View Full Version : Have you replaced your flooring carpet/vinyl

Tony's 4.8
30th December 2016, 09:40 AM
Brought the new purchase home two nights ago and have decided the first job is to replace the carpet with vinyl. Last time I did this, I thought the shape moulding from the vinyl supplier (Victoria) was a bit ordinary. Wanted to find out other members experience or recommendations. Better option maybe to buy a second hand vinyl floor from the wreckers (at least the shape moulding will be perfect). Any experiences, recommendations or suggestions welcomed.......
Tony.

threedogs
30th December 2016, 10:50 AM
Sandgrabba do a moulded vynyl floor for the front and back.
On another note most who have replaced it have used "Dyna matt"
to insulate from sound and from what Ive read its very good

Cuppa
30th December 2016, 07:22 PM
Is Dynamat absorbent?
Being the owner of a DX, i.e. a Patrol with vinyl flooring, the idea of putting anythng under the vinyl which is capable of absorbing water is IMHO a bad idea. Certainly noise reduction is worthwhile.........but stuff which gets wet underneath vinyl does not dry out. It remains soggy & damp, gradually smelling worse & worse. The factory insulation under my vinyl flooring had to be completely removed & took around 10 days to fully dry out & stop smelling.

When I bought the car someone commented on how good it was to have vinyl flooring, suggesting it could be easily ‘hosed out’ if need be. Ha ha.

Hodge
30th December 2016, 08:13 PM
Never done it to any of my cars. But I helped a family friend out fitting vinyl after we had to remove his carpet out when he flooded it in toolangi. Carpet was destroyed.
Bitch of a job to do.
So his feedback in weeks coming after vinyl fitting. Vinyl gets really hot in the sun, the NEW plastic / vinyl smell says in the car for ages! First few days were unbearable in the vehicle. And yeah he did flood it again after it. But was much easier to clean. Lift vinyl out and dry everything.

Tony's 4.8
31st December 2016, 06:05 PM
Yes. I will definately be replacing the carpet with vinyl. New carpet will not be an option. Just a matter of where I source it from. Either-
1) Wreckers (benefit being it is well moulded and will fit to the floor perfectly)
2) After Market (down side is that they are not always perfect forming. Plus side it is brand new)

I think I need to find out if there is a Nissan Patrol wreckers in Melbourne Northern suburbs, and to call them to see how much for a second hand vinyl flooring (no underlay) is for a GU Patrol.
Can anyone advise of a Nissan Patrol wreckers in Melbourne Northern suburbs?

MB
31st December 2016, 06:28 PM
G'day Tony, not Northern Suburbs but Patrol Apart-Lilydale have been great to me personally over the years. If they haven't got it in stock they'll have a best crack at getting it in for you ASAP. I'm too busy during the working year to track down obscure parts needed but Aaron & the boss man always seem to get it done on our rigs for us :-) Scored a Kaymar rear bar double swing jobbie for Mrs MB's GU tow rig for 'well' under half new RRP earlier in 2016 ;-)
Happy New Year 2017 Tony :-) !!

Hodge
31st December 2016, 07:45 PM
Like MB said. Patrolapart. Or there is a enormous Nissan wrecker in Brooklyn. Nisswreck. Between these 2 mobs of they don't have it, good luck finding it.

Tony's 4.8
31st December 2016, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Will call both of them on Tuesday. Cheers.

Sent from Tony's Samsung S5 using Taptalk.

BigRAWesty
1st January 2017, 01:46 AM
Is Dynamat absorbent?
Being the owner of a DX, i.e. a Patrol with vinyl flooring, the idea of putting anythng under the vinyl which is capable of absorbing water is IMHO a bad idea. Certainly noise reduction is worthwhile.........but stuff which gets wet underneath vinyl does not dry out. It remains soggy & damp, gradually smelling worse & worse. The factory insulation under my vinyl flooring had to be completely removed & took around 10 days to fully dry out & stop smelling.

When I bought the car someone commented on how good it was to have vinyl flooring, suggesting it could be easily ‘hosed out’ if need be. Ha ha.

Dynamat and the closed cell foam we used in our build a while back will not absorb water, unlike the factory fluff.
Imo if going from carpet to vynal spend the extra $250 and sound deaden it

Cuppa
1st January 2017, 07:42 AM
Dynamat and the closed cell foam we used in our build a while back will not absorb water, unlike the factory fluff.
Imo if going from carpet to vynal spend the extra $250 and sound deaden it

Yep the factory ‘fluff’ is to be avoided. Worse than carpet when under vinyl. If I manage to get it wet again it wont be going back in! Sounds like Dynamat/closed cell foam is the go. Wish I’d used it to replace all the soggy fluff last time.

Tony's 4.8
1st January 2017, 08:15 AM
Where do you get the Dynamat closed cell foam from ???

threedogs
1st January 2017, 01:49 PM
Is Dynamat absorbent?

Its a tar based product so it cant absorb moisture

BigRAWesty
1st January 2017, 07:04 PM
Where do you get the Dynamat closed cell foam from ???
Well if you want the genuine stuff any car audio shoukd be able to remove your kidney in exchange for some gear....
I'll grab a link though to when a few of us members did it..
From memory I did my whole car for $250..

BigRAWesty
1st January 2017, 07:06 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=24182