PDA

View Full Version : Lan-Cor ground anchors

10G
30th December 2016, 09:27 AM
Anyone used one these ground anchors?

I like the idea that they pack up reasonably small and they seems to work as well as anything else from what I've seen online.

I've looked at some of the land anchors like Pull Pal, but they are a bit bulkier.

I looked at the 3 bar straight line pull solution, but recovering the bars post bog, I reckon would be hard.

BillsGU
30th December 2016, 09:59 AM
Yep - they are all bulky and heavy and expensive. I have been 4 wheeling for many years and have only had a couple of occasions where I had no where to winch from - but got there in the end by either digging a hole to put the spare in or using a log as a dead man anchor. If you are determined to cart extra stuff around it would be cheaper and simpler to buy a few short star piquets from Bunnings and daisy chain them together.

10G
30th December 2016, 10:35 AM
Same here Bill, I've been driving out & around for many years and am more determined to carry as little as possible, but we recently had a nasty experience in which we were well & truly stuck, in a very boggy area with very dark & heavy clouds approaching. People got quite concerned, this is why I'm looking at what's available and trying to find out what people have used and what suggestions others may make.

So far I could knock up any land anchor I've seen, there's not much to them. I've not tried winching off star pickets, but I've bashed a few in the garden and I don't reckon they'd be strong enough, I reckon they'd bend within seconds & take a Herculean effort to knock into solid ground far enough.

threedogs
30th December 2016, 10:57 AM
I wouldnt think many would carry a ground anchor, me included and Ive been
to some very remote spots like some others.
Never had to use one ,like Bill I buried the spare.
most here would carry an Exhaust jack, easy ,fast and safe
if used correctly.
20 yrs ago everyone was using Hi-lift jack [widow makers]

BillsGU
30th December 2016, 11:07 PM
If you can't hammer a star picket into the ground you won't screw one of those anchors in either. With the pickets you use three or four in a row at about half meter spaced. You hammer them in at 45 degrees and use a drag chain wrapped around each one as close to the ground as possible and winch off the end of the chain. I have done this as an excercise a number of times and it works well. The pickets didn't move at all. It's a trick Army recovery mechanics used some time ago. Don't know if they still do.