PDA

View Full Version : The Start of my Portal Axle Journey

Tony's 4.8
24th December 2016, 09:25 AM
Hi. Just a quick one to introduce myself. Name is Tony. I have had 2 Patrols in the past and now, after a brief visit to the dark side (Toyota), I am purchasing a 4.8. I have been dreaming of Portal Axles for 10 years now, and acknowledged 'you only live once'. The whole build will be centred around the installation of the Portal Axles (around April/May 2017). Hoping to get lots of information from the site and join in on a few conversations with fellow members. Hoping I may even get to yak to someone who has already been on the Portal Axle journey (please let me know if you know anyone).
Regards Tony.

threedogs
24th December 2016, 09:34 AM
Hi tony and welcome to the fourm , from memory another member is building a duramax portal
cant think of his name sorry.
Marks adaptors do the portal kits
Anyway I think you to start a members ride thread

Tony's 4.8
24th December 2016, 09:53 AM
Thanks. I have been in contact with Marks Adaptors about the Portal Axles. Half way there with the saving, and am planning on them doing the conversion in April/May.
Not sure what you mean about the members ride thread or how I go about it (newbie).
Tony.

Hodge
24th December 2016, 10:22 AM
Welcome Tony.
I sort of know a bloke who has portals on his wrangler. Am yet personally to see them on a patrol though. It is a expensive exercise.

Tony's 4.8
24th December 2016, 10:29 AM
It is, but needs to be put into perspective. I have budgeted $40K for this (last) build. The 4.8 was $14K. The Portal Axles are $17K. This leaves me $9K for lockers, wheels, bull bar. With the Portal Axels, I dont need to worry about a suspension lift.
So to answer your question, $16K is expensive for axles, but when you look at the whole build, $40K is less than a new 4WD and will give me a vehicle I have wanted to have for a very long time. I first saw the Portal Axles at the Wandin 4WD show ten years ago and have dreamed about them since.
Rgrds Tony

Hodge
24th December 2016, 10:34 AM
Fair point Tony.
Sounds like you have definitely done your home work.
Also, another interesting point. As far as my memory stretches the only way to engineer 35" rollers is with portal axles ... When me and Mudski recently talked to a bloke at 4x4 Obsession, after he got his Patrol engineered, I'm sure that this was the case... Do not quote me on this. mudski may be able to confirm this.

Tony's 4.8
24th December 2016, 10:40 AM
Interesting. I still like the idea of the Portals giving you the same suspension and steering manners as a stock patrol. I am curious about the enginnering cert for the 35's. Hopefully 4X4 Obsesions maybe at the Wandin show in Feb.
Tony.

AB
24th December 2016, 10:52 AM
That's a pretty exciting build mate, keep us in the loop with pics too!

Winnie
24th December 2016, 11:02 AM
G'day Tony welcome to the forum.
Really keen to see how your build goes. Portals are pretty much everyone's ultimate goal! I love the idea of a low 4WD with normal sized tyres and having huge ground clearance and lockers! It would be the ultimate offroad vehicle.

Clunk
24th December 2016, 11:22 AM
Hi tony and welcome to the fourm , from memory another member is building a duramax portal
cant think of his name sorry.
Marks adaptors do the portal kits
Anyway I think you to start a members ride thread
That would be Figjam........

Have fun with the build Tony and keeps us up to date mate

Corsta0211
24th December 2016, 11:39 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. Make sure you post pictures :)

threedogs
24th December 2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks. I have been in contact with Marks Adaptors about the Portal Axles. Half way there with the saving, and am planning on them doing the conversion in April/May.
Not sure what you mean about the members ride thread or how I go about it (newbie).
Tony.

Instead of having the intro as your build thread, start another
in the members ride section so everyony can follow your build.
Hope that made some sense,lol
Figjam is the member doing the Duramax /portal build it must be
nearly finished he has a lot done to it

mudski
24th December 2016, 02:01 PM
Yeah definitely looking forward to pics. Id love to fit portals. But also want to do a dual cab chop. But, again, the minister of finance has pulled the hand brake on those ideas. Fair enough.
Anyhow with Portals you can get 35s engineered no worries.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Tony's 4.8
24th December 2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. Yes it is a pretty exciting build to embark upon. It feels like I have waited forever. I will deck out the back with bed and drawes first while I save for the last part of the Portal costs. The Portals will be the first modification, and the rest will slowly follow. I will definately post pictures as the build progresses, and after that, I am hoping to post some video of the Portals in action.
Tony.

gibbo57
25th December 2016, 08:08 AM
Hi mate and welcome aboard.
Cheers
Dave

Avo
25th December 2016, 09:26 AM
Welome to the forum

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

MB
26th December 2016, 09:33 AM
Welcome aboard Tony !

Stropp
26th December 2016, 09:30 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, make sure you check what you need to do to engineer the portals, I believe vic is easier than wa.

Tony's 4.8
26th December 2016, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, make sure you check what you need to do to engineer the portals, I believe vic is easier than wa.
Will do. Thanks Strop.
The engineers certificate for the Portal Axles and data-plate for the engine bay costs around $700. I am told that this inludes the engineer inspecting each individual installation.

This will be a must.

Sent from Tony's Samsung S5 using Taptalk.

growler2058
27th December 2016, 08:37 AM
G'day Tony welcome aboard mate

There was a member here called PortalPete i reckon. He was here years ago.

Dhuck
27th December 2016, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

DX grunt
27th December 2016, 10:42 AM
There is a person on here called 'Portal Pat'. search him and you will probably find him and others who have done the same.

He was last active in March 2016.

From memory, he was the first one who did the mod, on this forum.

Tony's 4.8
27th December 2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks DX. I will try and make contact. Also, I think I might start a new thread on this (as suggested by threedogs) as this is starting to move away from a normal introduction thread.
I will look up Portal Pat and PM him. Cheers

Stropp
27th December 2016, 09:47 PM
Will do. Thanks Strop.
The engineers certificate for the Portal Axles and data-plate for the engine bay costs around $700. I am told that this inludes the engineer inspecting each individual installation.

This will be a must.

Sent from Tony's Samsung S5 using Taptalk.

Geebus I wish it was that easy here!