PDA

View Full Version : g'day new guy from Sunny Melbourne..hehehe

Falco66
8th December 2016, 09:44 AM
hi peeps,
new guy from Melbourne looking to purchase a GU not sure which way to go either ZD30 or the 4.2 ltr diesel.
I'm going to have about 18k to spend max. Any suggestions would be beneficial please.
Also 2 things when did the bonnet scoop for the inter cooler come in to play for the 4.2? As I see some '98/99/2000 models with them on & some don't?
& do the front hubs need to be locked with the wheel brace do they, sorry if these are basic rookie Q's.
Cheers John

ToddD42
8th December 2016, 10:26 AM
G'day John!
Relatively new myself. I guess it comes down to what you want to do with your vehicle and what you want from a car - towing, doing tracks or touring. Some 3lts do have problems but if you get one thats been well maintained then you can take some early action and make sure its going to last, i think changing round the oil catch can and some other bits helps them out - maybe check the forums i think there is a fair bit of good banter on here about 3lt vs 4.2 so have a geeze. 4.2's are a good engine with obviously better torque but will be a little more expensive on the fuel sides of things.

Not so sure about the intercooler. I thought those with an intercooler were all top mount with a scoop. Some blokes may have done some aftermarket mods and slapped their own on a TD42T (just a turbo model no intercooler) model and have either gone with top or front mount - proof is in the pudding with what the rego papers say about it - whether its a TD42, TD42T or TD42Ti.

Sounds like you have auto locking hubs? if so and you wanna lock them in properly for a 4B session then yeah use the wheel spanner to turn it to lock - you should see some little triangle indicators that'll show if its on auto or lock. Use auto for normal driving/2H and lock if your getting dirty!

Hope this sorta helps in a way, I'm sure others have much better information for you than what I've chucked up!

See ya round matey

threedogs
8th December 2016, 11:47 AM
Hi John and welcome to the forum, your choice is a no brainer the 4.2 TD diesel is the pick of the bunch,
In the meantime jump in anytime you like and enjoy.
Some 4.2 were NA so no scoop
Yes to the hubs

Falco66
8th December 2016, 01:41 PM
thank you very much Todd

Falco66
8th December 2016, 01:46 PM
cheers threedogs as well both you guys been great help

happygu
8th December 2016, 04:16 PM
Hi John,

I have had both the 4.2TD and the 3 Litre Diesel, and have loved both .....

I would say that the 4.2 is the pick of the bunch, but then I have bought 4 x 3 Litre Di's after selling my 4.2, and i haven't once thought that I have done the wrong thing .... well after the first one anyway.

My old 4.2 would go anywhere, but that made me a lazy driver, as it would climb anything without much driver input. The 3 Litre Diesel requires a bit more planning, and a little more right foot to keep thing going in the right direction, but it gets there just the same.

When I first got my 3 Litre, I think I stalled it 20 times on my first big trip, as I kept trying to drive it like the 4.2. Now that I have adjusted, I go anywhere and more, than I used to in the old 4.2, and have no issues at all with the way they drive and I think I actually drive better for it.....

What i really prefer about the 3 Litre now, is the 10K servicing over 5k, and the nicer power delivery around town.

Corsta0211
8th December 2016, 04:57 PM
Hey mate, welcome to the forum. The 4.2 is my pic of the bunch, but as with most things that is just an opinion. As said above some years of the ZD30 have issues but i suppose it ends up coming down to your maintenance and modifications done to ensure the longevity of the engine. There are some mighty rigs out there with the 3 liter, and some great ones with the 4.2 also, so don't worry about the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" and choose what you believe will take you places that you want to go. Cheers.

Dhuck
8th December 2016, 06:47 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

FingersB
23rd December 2016, 09:09 AM
Welcome!!!

mudski
23rd December 2016, 09:44 AM
Welcome mate.
As said, both a good motors in their own right. The 4.2 will hold its value a lot more and seem to be, uhm, more trust worthy, out in the bush. The 3ltr is easier to drive on the black top, no doubt. These things get up and go pretty quick. As stock 4.2, turbo and intercooled in stock form as slow as hell. But with a few tickles they can go real good.
What I do like about the 3ltr.

They are relatively good on fuel and they are a zippy motor.
Cheap purchase price compared to a 4.2 on the same age/ model.

What I don't like about the 3ltr.

The stupid belt tensioner design, get a drop of water on them and they will squeel till the cows come home. Even with a new belt and tensioner. Mine did it constantly. Drove me nuts.
The unknown if the motor is going to go bang or not. Yes this is a real issue with these motors. Plenty out there have done it, but, there is plenty out there who haven't also. This motor would be the most common variant out there, so sure there is going to be plenty to read about it happening. The injector pump went on mine, it was around $5k to get it fixed. I decided to pull the motor out and put a 4.2 in. We took the head off the 3ltr, and number 4 piston was cracked right through and was ready to pop. Lucky I didn't decide to put a new pump on.
The electrics on the motor. Yes its new age bla bla bla, but these motors will have a hissy fit and go into limp or bring up the CEL everytime you even think about touching it. There is ways around now to over come the limp issue thank god.

What I do like about the 4.2

reliable motor
Easier to work on.
No electrics, no MAP and MAF sensors to worry about keeping clean.
Sound tough with a big pipe on then. Lol
Go like ship on a chrome shovel when given some love.
Lots of torque
Old school belt technology. No belt squeals for the next 20 minutes after a river crossing, Lol.

What I don't like about the 4.2

A bit on the heavy side for fuel, not too much, but more than the 3ltr
A bit more truck like to drive around the local burbs. Not bad if you live in the bush though. The 3ltr is easier to drive, no doubt.
I keep spending money on this bloody thing. This is the worst....

I'm sure theres more I could add to the list on both sides if I though hard enough about it. Would I buy a 3ltr again. Hmm, probably not. I am happy where I'm at. But I know one day the time will come when I probably would. Hopefully I'll be dead before I have too though.... Hahaha!

So you have some thinking thats for sure. As for your hubs, they are auto, so you can just select 4wd in the cab via the transfer lever and off you go. But I would not trust this auto option at anytime, I would just get out and lock them manually. You can make these hubs full manual too in around ten minutes or so. So they don't try to lock themselves when you are driving on the road. Which is what mine used to do. Click, click, click.

4bye4
23rd December 2016, 09:53 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate.

gibbo57
29th December 2016, 11:17 AM
Hi mate and welcome aboard.
Cheers
Dave