PDA

View Full Version : TD42 Alternator

Rossco
6th December 2016, 08:37 PM
Hi guys, just put new 90A alternator in last night. Seems to be working awsome, hopefully not to well, don't want to blow up any batteries. Idle battery is around 13ish V running is at around 14.8. Does this seem to be pretty normal or to high. His just used to the old one i guess that didn't get much above 12 on the factory gauge or fluctuate with revs but think it was getting dam fubar for a while.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/121.jpg

At idle

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/12/122.jpg

Few revs.

Plasnart
6th December 2016, 08:39 PM
I'm of the understanding a healthy 12V battery is charged up to around 14V so I wouldn't be worried, I'd be happy!

Winnie
6th December 2016, 08:44 PM
Sounds about perfect to me mate.

MB
14.4v was lead to believe all ok?

AB
Perfect Rossco....

AB
6th December 2016, 08:45 PM
^^^ trifecta

Winnie
6th December 2016, 08:56 PM
My dash gauge reads inaccurate too. It shows 16V where a multimeter will show around 14.4V

Rossco
6th December 2016, 09:05 PM
Ah sweet guys thanks. Thought so, just bit old paranoid! ! Guess it's a case of getting used to something crappy and stuffed. Think that old one was way under par for ages. Pretty sure this is why i wasn't getting more than a day of just sitting to keep the fridge running before the battery dropping and wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing wrong with the solenoid either.

Another quick Q, should i be worried blowing the main fuesable link with a 90A under winching or should it be all good?

Winnie
6th December 2016, 09:24 PM
What size is the main fusible link again? I popped it a few times with the 120A alternator. I have run a 16mm welding flex cable from the alternator to the battery through a 120A circuit breaker.

Rossco
6th December 2016, 09:32 PM
What size is the main fusible link again? I popped it a few times with the 120A alternator. I have run a 16mm welding flex cable from the alternator to the battery through a 120A circuit breaker.
Yeah not sure, remember your one blowing on Brewry tk that time . . Asked the guys @ patrolapart they seemed to think it would be o.k. . .

Winnie
6th December 2016, 09:47 PM
Yeah not sure, remember your one blowing on Brewry tk that time . . Asked the guys @ patrolapart they seemed to think it would be o.k. . .
See how it goes... Maybe carry a spare.

Rossco
6th December 2016, 09:55 PM
See how it goes... Maybe carry a spare.
Yeah sweet, good idea. . . Might have to find a few sneaky winch tracks to test it out. . .

Sir Roofy
7th December 2016, 06:01 AM
Yeah sweet, good idea. . . Might have to find a few sneaky winch tracks to test it out. . .

more amps for fridge and winch
now a new battery

Rossco
7th December 2016, 07:31 AM
Both batteries are fairly fresh, but think that explains the issues i was having on the trip with keeping the fridge going and the isolator playing up i reckon. Next on the list is a decent solar panel, should be laughing then ☺

sooty_10
7th December 2016, 07:45 AM
Both batteries are fairly fresh, but think that explains the issues i was having on the trip with keeping the fridge going and the isolator playing up i reckon. Next on the list is a decent solar panel, should be laughing then ☺

I also carry a spare alternator fuse after blowing a couple by not disconnecting battery before doing electrical stuff....

Best thing i did for my fridge and battery is the permanent solar on the roof. Runs 24/7 @ -2 even when empty.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Rossco
7th December 2016, 08:27 AM
I also carry a spare alternator fuse after blowing a couple by not disconnecting battery before doing electrical stuff....

Best thing i did for my fridge and battery is the permanent solar on the roof. Runs 24/7 @ -2 even when empty.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Yeah funny thing - Before i took the old one off gave the back of it a wire brush and shorted out on the main terminal, woops! I'd disconnected the main battery but not the aux and were linked. Thought i might have blown something but started it up with the new one, seemed all good but noticed headlights weren't working. Checked all fuses, all good then noticed I'd missed connecting a terminal on the battery for the ipf loom, happy days! !