PDA

View Full Version : Rear Door Bag??

10G
5th December 2016, 03:41 PM
I've got a trip coming up and want to take a 2nd spare.

I have a roof rack, so I could put the spare up there. But where do I put the stuff that I usually put on the roof???

This got me to thinking, I could spend $2K - $3K on a rear bar so I can keep the stuff on the roof, or maybe get some sort of bag that attached to the small rear door to store the stuff that usually goes on the roof, on the rear door, sort of like a larger version of the bags that we all put on our spare wheels.

Anyone know of any ways to secure things onto these rear doors, or seen a bag fitted to these doors?

10G
6th December 2016, 09:51 AM
So I got home last night and looked at the rear door. Not a lot of room there really.

So, has anyone looked at an alternative to a full on rear bar? Is there a way in which a simple holder of some sort could be made to simply hold a 2nd spare wheel? I've not looked at it yet, but could there be a way in which a single bracket could be made that attaches to the passenger side rear corner somewhere and a simple stub axle pops up through the plastic bumper and onto this could attach an arm that is able to have a 2nd spare wheel mounted to it?

$2000 - $3000 is a lot of money to spend on something to hold a spare wheel (and protect the rear of the vehicle) Even if something could be made that would cost $500, you're still miles ahead of $2000 - $3000.

Sitting here thinking, I'm guessing it's not possible as there are lots more capable people here than I and I'm sure this isn't the first time this question has been asked, but I do wonder if it is possible.

I'm fantasizing about being able to bolt a bracket on under the bumper, drill a 50mm hole in the bumper where the stub axle protrudes through and simply being able to attach an arm to the stub axle some way. It doesn't sound hard!

garett
6th December 2016, 09:57 AM
it cost me about 600 ish to make my entire rear bar and wheel holder. bought a kit for the swing section. and its only a single carrier but yes you can do it cheaper.

Clunk
6th December 2016, 10:00 AM
Not sure if you have a ladder on the small barn door, butbif you did, you could possibly clip on a bag to that

10G
6th December 2016, 10:18 AM
I thought about building my own bar, but it would look terrible against the rest of the vehicle.

I thought about a ladder on the door and am still thinking about that and what could be arranged.

I've built rear wheel holders before (for utes) and as long as you can hold the wheel reasonably still, you don't need alot of heavy iron work to hold it in place.

One thing I've not thought of. Do I have to move the standard spare wheel more to the right, or away from the centre of the vehicle to fit in a second spare on the rear. If that's the case, then it's most likely not worth doing.

threedogs
6th December 2016, 10:56 AM
So I got home last night and looked at the rear door. Not a lot of room there really.

So, has anyone looked at an alternative to a full on rear bar? Is there a way in which a simple holder of some sort could be made to simply hold a 2nd spare wheel? I've not looked at it yet, but could there be a way in which a single bracket could be made that attaches to the passenger side rear corner somewhere and a simple stub axle pops up through the plastic bumper and onto this could attach an arm that is able to have a 2nd spare wheel mounted to it?

$2000 - $3000 is a lot of money to spend on something to hold a spare wheel (and protect the rear of the vehicle) Even if something could be made that would cost $500, you're still miles ahead of $2000 - $3000.

Sitting here thinking, I'm guessing it's not possible as there are lots more capable people here than I and I'm sure this isn't the first time this question has been asked, but I do wonder if it is possible.

I'm fantasizing about being able to bolt a bracket on under the bumper, drill a 50mm hole in the bumper where the stub axle protrudes through and simply being able to attach an arm to the stub axle some way. It doesn't sound hard!

there was a mob a few years back that did just that somehow it came out of the big plastic rear bumper
Looked great only down side I noticed was it was on the passenger side, from memory I think
the mob was called Kustom Karry they hailed from Benalla way I think. to answer your question
is yes it is possible

10G
6th December 2016, 12:18 PM
there was a mob a few years back that did just that somehow it came out of the big plastic rear bumper
Looked great only down side I noticed was it was on the passenger side, from memory I think
the mob was called Kustom Karry they hailed from Benalla way I think. to answer your question
is yes it is possible

Oh, OK. Thanks TD, I'll look into it.