PDA

View Full Version : GU 98 TB45 AUTO Possible alternator issue???

Anaurath
4th December 2016, 08:17 PM
Hi Guys,

since yesterday a kind of humming noise started in my Patrol.
Clearly comes from the front end, however difficult to determine its exact location. It sounds like a pulley or bearing so I operated the air con on/off, but nothing to do, the noise always there.
Since the car is automatic, I tried engaging R, D, P and N. When engaging R and D, the sound slightly changes, probably because the revs go down since the gear comes in.

Searching in the forum I read a very cleaver trick to determine the source of a noise, by using a screwdriver. Apparently placing the tip in the suspected point and attaching your ear to the handle the sound gets amplified. By using this technique I reckon that I found the issue is coming from the alternator, however before going further, is there anyone who can highlight some other tests I can do in order to be 100% sure is the alternator?

In case is the alternator here my questions:
1.- Does it need to be fixed ASAP?
2.- It is a matter of replacing the full alternator, or just the bearings would do?
3.- Any roughly idea of the price?

Thanks in advance,

lucus30
5th December 2016, 08:59 AM
Hi Guys,

since yesterday a kind of humming noise started in my Patrol.
Clearly comes from the front end, however difficult to determine its exact location. It sounds like a pulley or bearing so I operated the air con on/off, but nothing to do, the noise always there.
Since the car is automatic, I tried engaging R, D, P and N. When engaging R and D, the sound slightly changes, probably because the revs go down since the gear comes in.

Searching in the forum I read a very cleaver trick to determine the source of a noise, by using a screwdriver. Apparently placing the tip in the suspected point and attaching your ear to the handle the sound gets amplified. By using this technique I reckon that I found the issue is coming from the alternator, however before going further, is there anyone who can highlight some other tests I can do in order to be 100% sure is the alternator?

In case is the alternator here my questions:
1.- Does it need to be fixed ASAP?
2.- It is a matter of replacing the full alternator, or just the bearings would do?
3.- Any roughly idea of the price?

Thanks in advance,

1. Mines been noisy for ages

2. You can replace the bearing yourself Google it plenty of info out there. A bearing puller would make it easy

3. A couple of new bearings would probably cost about $10. A japanese alternator will set you back about $300 Chinese will be cheaper

You can pull the belt off the alt to see if it's the cause. Will be fine for a few minutes to check

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Anaurath
5th December 2016, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll try to pull the belt off just to be 100% sure, although the test I did with the screwdriver was pretty descriptive since the difference when trying the same behind the A/C pulley and even on the water pump was so different than the one I got from the alternator pulley.

Cheers mate.

Kimbo63
5th December 2016, 12:37 PM
Try spraying a bit of wd40 into the alternator

4bye4
5th December 2016, 04:32 PM
A quick test would be to load the alternator up while on idle. Turn on all the lights you have and see if the noise changes.

Anaurath
18th December 2016, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys for all your suggestions.
Reaching the second level of difficulty:
Trying to remove the belts from the alternator's pulley.
According to the schema, loosing the tensioner bolt and also the one located below at the front side, should be enough to lean the alternator towards the engine and remove the belts from the pulley's groove, however it looks like the alternator is stuck. No way to move it towards the engine.
Any suggestion?? Should I also loose the bolt located rear side below?? and perhaps completely remove the front one??
Should I give it a wag to see if it breaks any built up in the bolts once loosen?
Thanks in advance,