PDA

View Full Version : TD42 Power steering pulley removal from pump

PeeBee
2nd December 2016, 07:30 PM
I want to remove the power steering pulley from the pump. I had a crack at this earlier tonight however the nut is locked up hard and I can't get a good purchase on the pulley. 1) is the thread RH or LH?, 2) whats the trick to getting the nut undone? I know the pulley has a threaded shaft connection and I have a 3 prong puller ready to go.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

mudski
2nd December 2016, 10:09 PM
Righty tighty, lefty losey. You may need to hold the pulley in a vice or something....

nissannewby
2nd December 2016, 10:59 PM
Normal thread. Use a rattle gun to undo it.

PeeBee
23rd December 2016, 05:38 PM
Normal thread. Use a rattle gun to undo it.

Gents, been slowly getting the list of jobs done. I purchased two dia 125mm PS pulleys and had them mounted on a centralising arbor then welded together to make a 2 Vee pulley. They had the centre turned out of the outer pulley to all7035770358 access to the nut. To get the nut un-done, I fabricated a simple 'peg bar' that fitted into the holes in the pulley. I was then able to use a hand ratchet to undo the nut - very very easy and making the bar took about 15 minutes. I now have the new duplex pulley mounted and the hydraulic pump installed - I have mounted the solenoid dcv and next its off to the hose guy to get it all hooked up.

I have attached a couple of shots of the 'spanner' for those that might need to remove the pulley without taking the pump off the vehicle.