PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: decent steel bullbar

brianc
24th April 2011, 08:26 PM
Hi all,

I've finally got my hands on my 2007 GU DX Patrol and its time to start building it up for desert living. The first thing on the agenda is deciding what bullbar to get.

I'm going for a steel bar for maximum protection from roos. (I almost came to grief with a big buck last night just drving it home after picking it up from the dealer!) I now have to decide which bar to go with. I'm thinking about an Ironman commercial bar. It seems simple yet effective (and the right price!).

I've had a look at Powerful 4x4's one. I don't think I need pretty lights or anything like that, and the ironman one is a bit cheaper.

I would really like to hear your thoughts. Do you think any have design problems or anything similar. Are there any other brands that I should be looking at?

This Patrol is being built up as a second car for my wife and kids to go into town on shopping days and for her work if she needs to go to town (400k round trip). Remember, its going onto an ex rental DX. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something that is going to protect the vehicle and my family from roos.

Also, are they easy enough to self install? The car is out of warranty but I guess there could be insurance issues.....

Thanks

Brian.

nowoolies
24th April 2011, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

I've finally got my hands on my 2007 GU DX Patrol and its time to start building it up for desert living. The first thing on the agenda is deciding what bullbar to get.

I'm going for a steel bar for maximum protection from roos. (I almost came to grief with a big buck last night just drving it home after picking it up from the dealer!) I now have to decide which bar to go with. I'm thinking about an Ironman commercial bar. It seems simple yet effective (and the right price!).

I've had a look at Powerful 4x4's one. I don't think I need pretty lights or anything like that, and the ironman one is a bit cheaper.

I would really like to hear your thoughts. Do you think any have design problems or anything similar. Are there any other brands that I should be looking at?

This Patrol is being built up as a second car for my wife and kids to go into town on shopping days and for her work if she needs to go to town (400k round trip). Remember, its going onto an ex rental DX. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something that is going to protect the vehicle and my family from roos.

Also, are they easy enough to self install? The car is out of warranty but I guess there could be insurance issues.....

Thanks

Brian.

g`day mate
you need to to talk to Mike XLR8 HE`S ON HERE AND MAKE`S THE BEST AVAILABLE

Finly Owner
24th April 2011, 09:10 PM
If you want my advice, If you are going steel, get a winch bar now, as later you may want a winch, so why pay for two new bars right?

Tim

brianc
24th April 2011, 09:24 PM
I agree with you about buying the winch bar straight up Tim. I've already got a winch. Its one of the earlier Tigers11 ones. Its sitting on a 1985 BJ73 cruiser that I've got in the yard and am about to sell (minus the winch and IPF lights - they are coming with me on the patrol). I can't see myself, or my wife for that matter - ever doing any serious winching where we are going but I'll throw it on there anyway.

I'll send Mike XLR8 a msg. Thanks.

Finly Owner
24th April 2011, 09:37 PM
If you,ve got it , mount it. Keep it maintained. Nvr know who you might be able to recover one day.

Tim

GUte
24th April 2011, 10:25 PM
Since you are on the east coast, take a look at the millweld winch bars
http://www.millweld.com/a/Winch_Bars

Mike makes great gear but the freight costs would be killer

brianc
25th April 2011, 01:09 PM
Hi, I looked at those bars. They look awesome and strong, but the problem in that they aren't airbag compatible and that may spell insurance problems later.

TuffTD42
25th April 2011, 04:17 PM
I'd search around for a genuine nissan winch bar second hand.

GUte
25th April 2011, 09:49 PM
Yeh didnt think of air bags as I dont have them and dont usually spring to mind.. XLR8s arent airbag compatible either

You should be able to find a used nissan one, or XROX bars are airbag compatible

MudRunnerTD
25th April 2011, 10:52 PM

yep thats what i would be doing too mate. If Roos are that big a problem and i dont doubt you at all i would be installing an electronic Shu-Roo on the front of the bar too mate as that will save you more times than not and may avoid the contact that you are hoping the bar will protect you and your family from .

You can get a second hand Shu-Roo off ebay for a decent price too.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SHUROO-KANGAROO-WARNING-DEVICE-ORIGINAL-SHU-ROO-PRODUCT-/190525024596?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5c2d2954

brianc
26th April 2011, 12:12 AM

I'm looking around. I found this one. Item number: 250809928351 on ebay

I'm a bit suss on whether it would fit onto a 2007 model however. I've done a bit on searching around forums and it appears that one bar does not fit all GU's. Any thoughts? According to the seller the part number is "f2210-vc200au std wheel".

MudRunnerTD
26th April 2011, 12:23 AM
yeah that is a silly add, the guy does not know what he is talking about.

There is no point giving you any part numbers without a Brand name????

Your GU is a series 5 or 6 (current shape). If that bar is for an early series GU then it will not fit... Series I, II, III all use the same parts for most things. Everything IV and on will be different.

scotty83
26th April 2011, 11:51 AM
Has anyone got the Powerful 4x4's one?? i have been looking as this one too.

brianc
27th April 2011, 10:24 PM
yeah that is a silly add, the guy does not know what he is talking about.

There is no point giving you any part numbers without a Brand name????

Your GU is a series 5 or 6 (current shape). If that bar is for an early series GU then it will not fit... Series I, II, III all use the same parts for most things. Everything IV and on will be different.

After placing a bid the guy updated and said that he has checked with Nissan who tells him that this bull bar fits on patrols from 09/2001 to 08/2007. Does that sound right because it doesn't to me. I can't retract my bid without him allowing it. Any ideas?

brianc
27th April 2011, 11:18 PM
After placing a bid the guy updated and said that he has checked with Nissan who tells him that this bull bar fits on patrols from 09/2001 to 08/2007. Does that sound right because it doesn't to me. I can't retract my bid without him allowing it. Any ideas?

I was able to retract my vote. They are for earlier models.

Am now very keen on the Powerful 4x4 bar. Have to wait for the next shipment to come in. Powerful 4x4 reckon it will come in at the end of May.

scotty83
7th June 2011, 01:42 PM
Has anyone got one of these yet?? If so is the construction as good as ARB or TJM. I am liking the thought of the front towbars mounts in particular.

http://www.powerful4x4.net.au/store/product.php?productid=17516

Scotty

flemj
8th June 2011, 11:03 PM
Hi,

4X4 Australia did a bull bar comparison. I threw out my copy, but they did a simulated roo test. Maybe somone still has there copy.

John

Gert B Frobe
9th June 2011, 07:15 PM
Posted in wrong section by me

MudRunnerTD
10th June 2011, 10:15 AM
Has anyone got one of these yet?? If so is the construction as good as ARB or TJM. I am liking the thought of the front towbars mounts in particular.

http://www.powerful4x4.net.au/store/product.php?productid=17516

Scotty

Hey Scotty,

That looks pretty good all round mate i reckon. If the price is right then it would be a good buy.

It looks like the front tow bar is an added accessory and you would have to buy that extra. It looks like it has 3 separate removable bash plates across the bottom and the centre one is removed or dropped to allow for that front tow point.

All in All it looks like a well thought out bar.

How much are they asking for it?