PDA

View Full Version : GU cigarette lighter

Mc4by
30th November 2016, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

I am looking to connect my UHF to the power on the cig lighter.
Is this easy enough to do?

Bush Ranger
30th November 2016, 09:22 PM
It`s easy to do Mc4by and it`ll save you from looking for the right wire for the accessories on the ignition, as the cigarette lighter is hooked up to it. The only problem I had was, was when some one was talking on the UHF and I was using the accelerator to increase speed here and there, I got a whirring noise through the UHF. Apparently it`s common and there`s a resistor or some thing like it that stops the noise coming through. It annoyed me eventually, so I ran a live wire with a fuse to the second battery.

threedogs
1st December 2016, 04:52 PM
Personally I'd wire it direct to the AUX battery,
that way you dont need the ignition on, and if
you forget to turn the UHF off no real harm done,
Fuse it up close to the battery

MudRunnerTD
1st December 2016, 04:56 PM
Personally I'd wire it direct to the AUX battery,
that way you dont need the ignition on, and if
you forget to turn the UHF off no real harm done,
Fuse it up close to the battery

I agree. If your in camp waiting for someone you can have your radio on without the Keys too. Winner

Winnie
1st December 2016, 05:03 PM
I agree. If your in camp waiting for someone you can have your radio on without the Keys too. Winner
Yeah this is the way I have mine wired and it has come in handy a few times.

Mc4by
1st December 2016, 11:53 PM
Good advice all round.
I do have aux wiring but currently (no pun intended) I don't have a aux battery.

gubigfish
2nd December 2016, 12:40 AM
If your going to all the effort of installing your UHF you may as well run that power cable through the firewall and coil it up ready for when you get your aux battery so then all you have to do is connect to your battery and into your UHF and done.

The other option I've used in the past for accessory is double blade fuse holders, if you have a gu they use a mini blade fuse. I bought a pack of 10 of them of ebay but have since seen them at SCA, Repco etc. individuals of course. You can see what it looks like here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64285&d=1453784592

Clunk
2nd December 2016, 01:00 AM
Good advice all round.
I do have aux wiring but currently (no pun intended) I don't have a aux battery.
Just connect directly to the main battery for now, with a 10A fuse on the live side. Won't do any harm

Mc4by
5th December 2016, 10:50 PM
Great idea the double fuse holder.
My UHF is now installed.
I have gone with this method until I invest in a second battery.
Ended up getting a DIN facia and mounting it under my new JVC stereo unit.

If your going to all the effort of installing your UHF you may as well run that power cable through the firewall and coil it up ready for when you get your aux battery so then all you have to do is connect to your battery and into your UHF and done.

The other option I've used in the past for accessory is double blade fuse holders, if you have a gu they use a mini blade fuse. I bought a pack of 10 of them of ebay but have since seen them at SCA, Repco etc. individuals of course. You can see what it looks like here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64285&d=1453784592