PDA

View Full Version : Death wobble..

jacobangel1993
29th November 2016, 12:11 AM
Hi guys im getting speed wobbles at 70 very common issue but i just can't work it out. Any ideas? Also i don't have a steering damper at the moment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MB
29th November 2016, 05:05 AM
G'day Jacob,
I've only ever experienced lightish annoying wobbles on our Trols over the years and were simply wheel balances/alignments required. I believe matfew and mudski found their death wobbles in their wheel bearings being shot? For safetys sake mate I'd probably take it to someone and get all checked whilst getting the dampener back on. Cheers mate.

matfew
29th November 2016, 05:21 AM
Yeah mine was king pins full of mud... Wheel bearings is common. I've also had the pan hard rod nut come loose after some lazy so n so must of forgot after a wheel alignment

Rossco
29th November 2016, 05:57 AM
Not having a steering damper would do it for sure, did it do it when one was in there. Had a sierra that had crazy death wobbles put a on a new dampner and fixed it.

mudski
29th November 2016, 07:21 AM
Yeah not having a damper on wouldn't be helping. My issue was wheel bearings. I wasn't doing them up just that tight enough, eventually I had to change the stub axles where the wheel bearing run as they were worn out and the bearing kept going out of adjustment. The lower panhard rod bush (the diff end) is common to wear out and give the wobbles. Only use OEM bushes too, they last a lot longer than any aftermarket bush does.
I've heard of people removing the top and bottom king pin bearing shims. Personally I wouldn't just remove them, without knowing the history of those bearings, if they have been changed before, if the shim thickness has been changed too. You can work out if you have the correct shims in your truck or not quite easily.
All you need is a fishing scale and some tools. Simply, remove any connecting arms, and then unbolt and pick out the swivel hub seal from behind the hub. The hub should by itself just turn and full lock under its own weight. Then attach the fishing scale to the hub and measure how much pulling force is required to move the hub. I think its around 9lbs, don't quote me on this, it is stated in the workshop manual. So from here you can see if you need less or more shims here.

jacobangel1993
29th November 2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks heaps guys ill get a new steering dampner and ill do my wheel bearings to see how that goes

Clunk
29th November 2016, 12:50 PM
not having a steering damper may not be the issue though, because they do also have the ability to mask the issue.

to check the wheel bearings, jack up the front end, place your hands in the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock position grab the wheel and see if it rocks back no forth........... if it rocks then they either need tightening or they're shot.
Just unbolt the panhard bar and you soon see if the bushes are shot or not.

threedogs
29th November 2016, 02:52 PM
I would be getting a wheel balance first off,,, then check wheel bearings for play

Clunk
29th November 2016, 02:58 PM
I would be getting a wheel balance first off,,, then check wheel bearings for play
I would say do the things that cost nothing first

mudski
30th November 2016, 07:55 AM
I would be putting a damper back on. First.... Lol.

jacobangel1993
3rd December 2016, 09:29 PM
Ill try the wheel bearings as i got a new panhard rod and took my old dampner off but while taking it off the nut on the dampner rounded..... so ill get another one and after i have checked everything ill get my wheels balanced