PDA

View Full Version : Hot box

Sir Roofy
28th November 2016, 09:00 PM
Had a good weekend up at Talbotville towed the camper trailer up to Grant from Dargo then down Macmillans track
on the way there we developed an annoying noise thinking there was a stone caught in the brake shields thought
no more about it
We did Collingwood spur track down to Bull town spur down that then crossed all the river crossings back to camp along
Crooked river track
All went well no noises parked up for the rest of the day Next morning started up and the dreddard squeal started up
Belt tensioner I thought it kept up till we got to the top of Macmillans with the camper then stopped
got home ok except the engine temps were a bit higher than normal and the gear box was very hot in side the cab

Un hooking the camper this morning I noticed a light film of oil on the back of wagon as spots so looked underneath
yep oil from the box was there drove it over to the town and back no problem everything seemed normal
took a gamble and drove to Morwell for an appointment and back no problem

I suspect a bearing or worse but could the oil boil in the box and find a way out both plugs are tight so must have done a
seal ?????

any thoughts on this or suggestions would be appreciated

DX grunt
28th November 2016, 09:08 PM
Did you remember to get me a Dargo Pub sticker, to match my bundy flag and CAT mudflaps? PML

PeeBee
28th November 2016, 09:09 PM
Had a good weekend up at Talbotville towed the camper trailer up to Grant from Dargo then down Macmillans track
on the way there we developed an annoying noise thinking there was a stone caught in the brake shields thought
no more about it
We did Collingwood spur track down to Bull town spur down that then crossed all the river crossings back to camp along
Crooked river track
All went well no noises parked up for the rest of the day Next morning started up and the dreddard squeal started up
Belt tensioner I thought it kept up till we got to the top of Macmillans with the camper then stopped
got home ok except the engine temps were a bit higher than normal and the gear box was very hot in side the cab

Un hooking the camper this morning I noticed a light film of oil on the back of wagon as spots so looked underneath
yep oil from the box was there drove it over to the town and back no problem everything seemed normal
took a gamble and drove to Morwell for an appointment and back no problem

I suspect a bearing or worse but could the oil boil in the box and find a way out both plugs are tight so must have done a
seal ?????

any thoughts on this or suggestions would be appreciated
I had something similar with a gearbox slightly overfilled and it built up pressure and blew out the rear seal. The mess on the back tailgate looked terminal, however it stopped once the overfilled material was ejected. I took it to the dealer and a 4wd repairer and they both confirmed the above. Didn,t need to do anything except pay closer attention to fill level. Have you topped either the gearbox or transfer case recently or changed the grade of oil?

Sir Roofy
28th November 2016, 09:18 PM
Did you remember to get me a Dargo Pub sticker, to match my bundy flag and CAT mudflaps? PML

ill get you one next time

Sir Roofy
28th November 2016, 09:22 PM
I had something similar with a gearbox slightly overfilled and it built up pressure and blew out the rear seal. The mess on the back tailgate looked terminal, however it stopped once the overfilled material was ejected. I took it to the dealer and a 4wd repairer and they both confirmed the above. Didn,t need to do anything except pay closer attention to fill level. Have you topped either the gearbox or transfer case recently or changed the grade of oil?

no changed it well before the new motor went in have done the Simpson since then

Rossco
28th November 2016, 09:31 PM
Didn't get any water in it from the river crossings? Might be worth doing a change and see how it goes, hopefully it's nothing major. .

Sir Roofy
28th November 2016, 09:37 PM
Didn't get any water in it from the river crossings? Might be worth doing a change and see how it goes, hopefully it's nothing major. .

Don't think so mate breather pipes are ok unless the top one has broken
the oil is pretty thick

MB
29th November 2016, 05:13 AM
Whilst changing all the oils out Sir Roofy double check the breathers aren't blocked too mate.
In regards seals, I used to find my old cruisers would suck in water if going from too hot straight into cold streams so regular dumping of oils was required after that country. Cheers mate.

mudski
29th November 2016, 07:51 AM
Whilst changing all the oils out Sir Roofy double check the breathers aren't blocked too mate.
In regards seals, I used to find my old cruisers would suck in water if going from too hot straight into cold streams so regular dumping of oils was required after that country. Cheers mate.

This... but having breathers should make this not an issue. Should...
Undo the filler plug and if you have a suction gun, suck a bit of oil out to see whats its like. Were you driving around in low range using 4th or 5th? I spoke with a gearbox mech and he said while its ok, to do this, its not advisable as it does make things a whole lot hotter in the box as everything is spinning a crap load faster. Hence making the oil hot.
I doubt it would be a bearing, just a seal.

Wheres the oil coming from too? Front gearbox seal, the transfer case seal on the front shaft or the transfer case seal on the rear shaft? If its on of the latter two, you just need to inspect the transfer case oil. Did you change this aswell prior the simmo trip, or just the gearbox oil?

Sir Roofy
29th November 2016, 09:41 AM
This... but having breathers should make this not an issue. Should...
Undo the filler plug and if you have a suction gun, suck a bit of oil out to see whats its like. Were you driving around in low range using 4th or 5th? I spoke with a gearbox mech and he said while its ok, to do this, its not advisable as it does make things a whole lot hotter in the box as everything is spinning a crap load faster. Hence making the oil hot.
I doubt it would be a bearing, just a seal.

Wheres the oil coming from too? Front gearbox seal, the transfer case seal on the front shaft or the transfer case seal on the rear shaft? If its on of the latter two, you just need to inspect the transfer case oil. Did you change this aswell prior the simmo trip, or just the gearbox oil?

prior the simmo both boxes --------breather pipes seem ok and seals maybe
was driving around in 2and 3 except going down the steep parts was in first low
not using any heavy braking just a touch
that all seemed fine it was towing when the box got hot on the way home
will check the oil and see what it s like

mudski
29th November 2016, 10:27 AM
No worries. I could just be a case of what MB said. I would think if it were a bearing you would hear it. I know on mine when I first towed my camper at the TD conversion, coming into towns I couldn't get first gear. I basically cooked the gear oil as I was using 5th too much and with the extra torque the oil just cooked itself. And the oil was fresh too. When I drained the oil you could really smell it was burnt. So I would check the oil first. Is the box still leaking now?

Sir Roofy
29th November 2016, 12:11 PM

HERES SOME PICS
Checked the oil in box full clean oil
oil must be engine oil coming from the right hand side above the starter motor
any ideas on this one

mudski
29th November 2016, 02:16 PM
Yeah that looks like engine oil. Hard to tell from the pics but the second one is the oil drain fron the turbo yeah? Maybe degrease it all then you might be able.to see where the leak is from.
Trying to think whats on the right side that could leak oil. Oil pressure switch could be cracked and leaking oil....
Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

threedogs
29th November 2016, 03:25 PM
get the gearbox hot/working temp and take a sample to look for iron filings,
Low 4th or 5th defeats the effort,, high 1 or 2 may have been a better choice.
If you could smell burning oil it might be worth swapping it out for a more
heavy duty oil if you plan towing all the time.

Sir Roofy
29th November 2016, 04:19 PM
Yeah that looks like engine oil. Hard to tell fromRbut the second one is the oil drain fron the turbo yeah? Maybe degrease it all then you might be able.to see where the leak is from.
Trying to think whats on the right side that could leak oil. Oil pressure switch could be cracked and leaking oil....

Think that hose is from EGR the 2nd one
I'm thinking that it might be the switch also

Sir Roofy
29th November 2016, 06:05 PM
3 things it could be
oil return pipe
oil pressure switch
oil jet relief valve

Sir Roofy
30th November 2016, 08:40 AM
Ok so I cant do this job booked into the workshop @ $80 hour this going to hurt
but I think this young fella is on the ball see how he goes

mudski
30th November 2016, 09:02 AM
Think that hose is from EGR the 2nd one
I'm thinking that it might be the switch also

3 things it could be
oil return pipe
oil pressure switch
oil jet relief valve

Yeah theres a few things to check here. Just looking at my manual too... I'm thinking/ hoping its just a oil switch. I have had a leaking switch on mine too.. That hose in the second pic is the oil return pipe from the head back down to the sump. Being a fairly new motor the nuts that hold the top section onto the head could have just come lose?, a clamp on the hose at the lower section or even the hose is stuffed? I think the oil jet relief valve has a washer under it. This also could be lose.
Get onto it roofy! lay a blanket over the motor, lie on top with a hand full of spanners and a torch and nip everything up. I did with my motor after the rebuild. I went over every nut and bolt. I was surprised how many I found that needed a nip up. Everything being new, and the motor getting hot and cold numerous times its was bound happen. I recently checked all mine again and is all good now...

One silly thing though I just remembered. My wife Crumpydore has been leaking oil, and lots of it for years. Maybe 2 litres added between services. I just kept on adding more oil and cleaning the motor. I decided to do the same thing on this car as to mine. Went over every nut and bolt. Found quite a few and now the car does not leak one bit.

Keep us posted mate.

Sir Roofy
30th November 2016, 09:22 AM
will have a look later today got to get my new ear fixed

mudski
30th November 2016, 09:24 AM
Go over the rocker cover bolts too. Just incase you hadn't thought of it....

Sir Roofy
30th November 2016, 09:28 AM
Go over the rocker cover bolts too. Just incase you hadn't thought of it....

:smiley_thumbs_up:

threedogs
30th November 2016, 09:52 AM
was there any post new motor routine to follow after the install.
like re tighten head bolts or just a general check
grab one of those ext dentist style mirror to see around the back of the motor

Sir Roofy
3rd December 2016, 08:05 PM
Ok had the mechanic look at truck with his cable
camera and tells that a tube seal on number 4 injector
is leaking he showed me and yep was oil there
Not much oil has come out since I washed it down
well after driving 200ks today the oil is down to add

Are these seals hard to replace and would I need to
replace the injector lines as well ? this is on a zd30 di motor

Correction dipped the oil this morning was just below full
mark

Sir Roofy
4th December 2016, 09:09 AM

mark
bumping hoping someone can give me an idea

mudski
4th December 2016, 09:23 AM

mark
Sorry mate was kinda busy yesterday.lol
Anyhow. On each injector there is a oring that sits in a groove on the injector. The injector pushes into and long hole in the head. I cant see this beeing the issue as to my understanding this oring is there to stop the oil from getting down this tube and leaking into the cylinder.
The injector itself sticks out the side of the head and there is a seal on this. This is what you mech is referring too. Pretty common for those seals to go.
As for the repair side if it.
The intercooler needs to come off. I dont think you would need to remove the intake manifold but it will be a tight spot to access the suspect seal. Undo the injector line from the injector, grab a long small flat head screw driver and lever out the old seal and then replace with the new.
it will be a fidly job no doubt.
Is the donk under any warranty still. Maybe even ring the bloke and talk to him about it.

Sir Roofy
4th December 2016, 10:20 AM
Thanks mate understand you're busy ok can see how the seal comes out
does it just push back in ? or needs abit of effort to lock it in as there is a
spring in it
also I shouldn't need to replace the injector pipes ??

threedogs
4th December 2016, 03:17 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?38944-ZD30-2000-Patrol-injector-seals-DIY-replacement-and-intake-manifold-removal

Sir Roofy is this any good for you

Sir Roofy
4th December 2016, 03:55 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?38944-ZD30-2000-Patrol-injector-seals-DIY-replacement-and-intake-manifold-removal

Sir Roofy is this any good for you

Thanks TD I saw that before

mudski
4th December 2016, 06:30 PM
Thanks mate understand you're busy ok can see how the seal comes out
does it just push back in ? or needs abit of effort to lock it in as there is a
spring in it
also I shouldn't need to replace the injector pipes ??

These seals simply just push in. The spring in it is to just hold tight on the injector... You wont need to replace the pipes.
Again I'm not sure, well I can't remember, if this can be done without removing the intake manifold. But I dont think so.

Sir Roofy
4th December 2016, 06:48 PM
These seals simply just push in. The spring in it is to just hold tight on the injector... You wont need to replace the pipes.
Again I'm not sure, well I can't remember, if this can be done without removing the intake manifold. But I dont think so.

sounds good so far might have to lift rocker cover though
thanks

mudski
4th December 2016, 06:51 PM
sounds good so far might have to lift rocker cover though
thanks

You might not have too but it may help. The glow plug seals in the cover need to be screwed out first then.

Sir Roofy
4th December 2016, 07:30 PM
You might not have too but it may help. The glow plug seals in the cover need to be screwed out first then.

well I'm going to give it ago don't want to pay $673 to get it done
be in lilydale early in the morning

mudski
4th December 2016, 08:43 PM
well I'm going to give it ago don't want to pay $673 to get it done
be in lilydale early in the morning

I think you will be right to do it. From memory its not a hard job, just fidly, as you have to work around the manifold.