PDA

View Full Version : Extend Fuel Range for Remote trip

Nanango
24th April 2011, 07:26 PM
Planning on a major trip next year in my TB42e GQ, but have a dilemma re the current range for a full tank of fuel. At least one of the tracks I will be doing is approx 800 KM between fuel stops. But my beast only gets about 300 - 400KM to a tank - help.
Options are
a) Extended fuel tank, but that only gives me 70 L extra
b) Extended fuel tank and carry at least three jerry cans of fuel
c) Tow a small trailer and set it up with either a large fuel tank or to carry at least six jerry cans of fuel.
My tendancy at the moment is to look at the option of towing a small trailer, but I was hoping to avoid that.
Any suggestions?
Rick

my third 256
24th April 2011, 07:35 PM
put gas on 115ltr tank usable gas is 90 lts in it then put in a belly tank 95 lts
this is what i had in mine range was 900km then all you need is a couple of jerry cans
besides gas is so much cheeper
if not go thelong rang belly tank 95 lts under the drivers side as well as your existing tank
i think i read somewhere you can get a belly tank for the passanger side as well
hope this helps
stephen

my third 256
24th April 2011, 08:09 PM
just found this thread try it
Adding another fuel tank

Silver
24th April 2011, 08:23 PM
gas isn't too cheap up here in Sunny Qld, and not too available either, off the beaten track. Fit up a condemned LPG tank as a petrol belly tank, or a bank of smaller diameter ones so they stay tucked up? Would be a pain to fill I guess and a bit of work.

Can you arrange a couple of fuel dumps on the long stretch, that would be secure?

If travelling in a group, can you arrange to carry some of someone's bulky stuff in exchange for their taking a jerry or two?

Nanango
24th April 2011, 09:52 PM
Have been doing a bit more research and can set up a carry bar on the rear of the patrol with twin swing out tool / fuel boxes that can each house 4 x jerry cans making a total of 8 x 20L = 160L on the rear towbar. This was how I was planning to mount a couple of jerry cans, but can easily extend it to house eight. Do not really want to go GAS. No room in the back of the patrol to mount a tank, it would have to be underslung and dont want to change the clearance in any way.

the evil twin
25th April 2011, 01:18 AM
Sub tank and a couple of jerries on either rear bar or roof rack... should give you 800 on tanks and the jerries are a safety margin

Don't go the LPG unless you have good reliable supplies on your planned trip... it gets real dear and real scarce off the main highways in WA at least.