PDA

View Full Version : Repairing damage to steel rim

gubigfish
26th November 2016, 04:32 PM
Hi All,

The front drivers side rim has some damage on it near the lip where the rim meets the tyre. Whats the best way to repair it?

It's causing a slowish leak of air from the tyre.

Cheers
Fish

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2016, 04:41 PM
Is it a dent or more of a deep burred scratch

gubigfish
26th November 2016, 04:52 PM

See the photo Ben-e-boy I've tried to get a set of pliers onto it bend it back, cant get a hammer to it properly either.

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2016, 05:30 PM
Do you have any punches, drifts or a blunt cold chisle/wedge. It'll be a bit more pecise than just the hammer. There's a few stray hammer marks there :harhar: :p

Don't concentrate so much on getting the outside of the rim straight, more so the sealing face of the rim. A squirty bottle of soapy water will help to see if you have sealed it.

gubigfish
26th November 2016, 05:39 PM
I'll have to go get one.

cheers

abw
27th November 2016, 11:38 AM
Or if that doesn't work, maybe you could try some of that steel epoxy putty. Build it up from the inside, and file down to blend with the rim lip.

happygu
27th November 2016, 12:59 PM
You could have some dirt / rock in between the tyre and the rim - causing the loss of air .....

The rim itself doesn't look too bad where the bead sits and seals, and it is only the lip that is damaged by the looks of it.

I would air it down, and take the bead off the rim and then carefully feel the inside edge to see if there is any damage, and then you will know what you need to do.

sooty_10
27th November 2016, 01:13 PM
I had the same took it to a tyre place and for $35 problem solved. They reseated the bead and apparently cleaned a heap of water and mud out.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

threedogs
27th November 2016, 05:45 PM
Ive had plenty of success with a 5lb mash hammer

gubigfish
27th November 2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions, looks like I've managed to do simlar damage to the drivers rear rim today as well. I'll see how I get on with a cold chisel and all else fails I'll take it to a tyre shop.

BillsGU
28th November 2016, 08:28 AM
You should be able to get second hand rims at a reasonable price. Even if you repair them they will have a weak spot that may not seal properly and let you down (pardon the pun) in the middle of no where - possibly wrecking a tyre that would cost more than two used rims.

Just my two bobs worth.

gubigfish
28th November 2016, 12:10 PM
Or I could just bite the bullet and buy the Rim's I want :)

macca
28th November 2016, 12:16 PM
:offtopic:
For your information...
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-tyres-and-wheels/dont-weld-on-wheels-with-mounted-tyres

BillsGU
28th November 2016, 02:35 PM
:offtopic:
For your information...
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-tyres-and-wheels/dont-weld-on-wheels-with-mounted-tyres

Impressive!!

gubigfish
28th November 2016, 05:18 PM
So got a good price on some Dynamic Wheels, when I looked on their site entering my car information it came back with +0 offset but 2 tyre shops I've spoken to have advised that -22 offset is the go. Am I going to have any issues with the -22 offset? Tried to read the sticky on it but not clear.