PDA

View Full Version : Wheel alignment after rotation???

jay see
25th November 2016, 08:23 AM
So I rotated my wheels the other day and now it pulls.
I didn't think that a alignment would be necessary after a rotation or I'm I missing something.

VK2FMIA
25th November 2016, 08:46 AM
So I rotated my wheels the other day and now it pulls.
I didn't think that a alignment would be necessary after a rotation or I'm I missing something.

Wouldn't think a rotation would affect the alignment, check to see if the air pressures are the same.

jay see
25th November 2016, 08:57 AM
That's what I thought. It shouldn't.

Have checked pressure, all same.

Thinking of putting them back how they were to see what difference it makes if any, or just get it aligned again.

mudski
25th November 2016, 09:28 AM
The wear pattern differences between the tyres is the only thing I can think of thats causing it. Doing a wheel alignment only adjusts the toe in/ toe out and is measured from the centre of the wheel. That wouldn't change due to changing tyres around. Surely???

jay see
25th November 2016, 10:02 AM
The wear pattern differences between the tyres is the only thing I can think of thats causing it. Doing a wheel alignment only adjusts the toe in/ toe out and is measured from the centre of the wheel. That wouldn't change due to changing tyres around. Surely???
That's why I was thinking of putting them back how they were, to see if it would be straight.
That's the only thing that makes sense tyre wear
Will see if I can be farked when I get up.

VK2FMIA
25th November 2016, 10:15 AM
That's what I thought. It shouldn't.

Have checked pressure, all same.

Thinking of putting them back how they were to see what difference it makes if any, or just get it aligned again.

Did you swap front to back (right rear to right front) or side to side?. If you changed side to side the tire direction of rotation will be reversed & could affect handling. Had a set of Hankooks years ago that did not like being spun the opposite way.

macca
25th November 2016, 10:18 AM
Did you swap front to back (right rear to right front) or side to side?. If you changed side to side the tire direction of rotation will be reversed & could affect handling. Had a set of Hankooks years ago that did not like being spun the opposite way.

A bloke told me that tyres gain a memory and don't like rotating the other way if left on the same side for a long period, I thought he was blowing wind up my freckle until I read that!

jay see
25th November 2016, 10:22 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/208.jpg

A bloke told me that tyres gain a memory and don't like rotating the other way if left on the same side for a long period, I thought he was blowing wind up my freckle until I read that!
I have heard that before.
Tyres have done approximately 7k.

VK2FMIA
25th November 2016, 11:11 AM
I have heard that before.
Tyres have done approximately 7k.

Good article on Tire Conicity (misaligned belts) & first tire rotation, worth a read. http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/181

Might be a faulty tire.

dom14
26th November 2016, 02:56 AM
If its a wear pattern(& perhaps different tyre pressure) issue, then after driving as it is now for a while, the pull should hopefully correct itself.
More than half of the time, the vehicle pulling to the side on a flat stretch & a standard wheel alignment are not related, 'cos camber and caster angles are rarely touched during a normal wheel alignment and those angles don't usually get massively affected by typical rotation, afaik, unless of course, the wear pattern and pressure difference between them are significant.

I have a feeling, if you match the pressures of the tyres & drive it for a while, it might self correct.

Of course, it's possible one of the rear wheels that end up at the front may have a fault developed inside the meat of the tyre.
I've had that experience ages ago with an old Jackaroo that I used to drive ages ago. A front tyre started distorting bit by bit and I had to replace both front tyres.
Examine the front tyres with a ruler across to see whether the ground face is curved in a funny way or whether there are any minor bumps on them that can't be seen easily with naked eyes.

If the wheel alignment is sightly off, you will see uneven tyre wear on front ones in no time since you're driving the Patrol all the time. Somehow, I don't think that is the case in yours.

I think that "tyre memory" explanation has good points behind it.

dom14
26th November 2016, 03:06 AM
Good article on Tire Conicity (misaligned belts) & first tire rotation, worth a read. http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/181

Might be a faulty tire.

Great article. It's like going to a tyre academy. :D

jay see
26th November 2016, 09:57 AM
Going to swap the two fronts ones over and see if it pulls and which way.

dom14
26th November 2016, 12:05 PM
Going to swap the two fronts ones over and see if it pulls and which way.

Yep. That's the quickest test you can do. It might sort out the problem.

jay see
26th November 2016, 03:13 PM
Swapped and drives just like before.
We be going back to the tyre place next week.

Thanks VK2FMIA for the article.👍

VK2FMIA
27th November 2016, 04:46 PM
Swapped and drives just like before.
We be going back to the tyre place next week.

Thanks VK2FMIA for the article.👍
No worries. Actually learned something myself.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300 using Tapatalk

jay see
2nd December 2016, 08:35 AM
Update..

Went back to the tyre place yesterday and explained what happened. They put it up on the alignment machine and readjusted the toe. Drove it back home and swapped the fronts back over, will monitor over the weekend.
They said that it could be the tyre, but are checked for size and if it's not within tolerance it doesn't leave the factory. Mine might be just within.
I told them that I will get back to them next week.
Must admit that they are very helpful and there was no charge. Was all done within an hour.

VK2FMIA
2nd December 2016, 10:43 AM
Update..

Went back to the tyre place yesterday and explained what happened. They put it up on the alignment machine and readjusted the toe. Drove it back home and swapped the fronts back over, will monitor over the weekend.
They said that it could be the tyre, but are checked for size and if it's not within tolerance it doesn't leave the factory. Mine might be just within.
Must admit that they are very helpful and there was no charge. Was all done within an hour.
Thanks for the update. Will be interested to see how it goes.

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals

dom14
2nd December 2016, 12:16 PM
Update..

Yeah, checking wheel alignment is a fairly quick job & adjusting the toe on modern vehicles are fairly easy.
It can be done it 10-15 minutes on front wheel alignment.
Most tyre places do the second check for free I reckon, 'cos they would like you to come back. :)
If it has fixed the problem, that means you gota free wheel alignment. :)
If it hasn't then it must be the tyre.
I don't think factories check each tyre for manufacturing faults. May be they do occasional one or two out of the production line.

On some occasions, wheel alignment issues or vehicle dragging to the side on straight flat roads can be caused by structural damage to wheel alignment by accidents(collisions or hitting chassis parts on hard rocks, etc).
In same cases, after crash repair the pulling to the side on flat road are hard to correct, even though wheel alignment readings on the display(toe, camber, etc) can be corrected to the accepted ranges.

Keep an eye on the tyre wear pattern. That's more important.
Ages ago, I drove a Ford that had tyre wear issues that couldn't be fixed without spending a fortune.

jay see
2nd December 2016, 01:17 PM
Yeah, checking wheel alignment is a fairly quick job & adjusting the toe on modern vehicles are fairly easy.
It can be done it 10-15 minutes on front wheel alignment.
Most tyre places do the second check for free I reckon, 'cos they would like you to come back. :)
If it has fixed the problem, that means you gota free wheel alignment. :)
If it hasn't then it must be the tyre.
I don't think factories check each tyre for manufacturing faults. May be they do occasional one or two out of the production line.

On some occasions, wheel alignment issues or vehicle dragging to the side on straight flat roads can be caused by structural damage to wheel alignment by accidents(collisions or hitting chassis parts on hard rocks, etc).
In same cases, after crash repair the pulling to the side on flat road are hard to correct, even though wheel alignment readings on the display(toe, camber, etc) can be corrected to the accepted ranges.

Keep an eye on the tyre wear pattern. That's more important.
Ages ago, I drove a Ford that had tyre wear issues that couldn't be fixed without spending a fortune.

Agree with everything you say Dom. Except for the second wheel alignment for free.
They never did one...
I got it done when I had the kingpin fitted at a different place, a week after getting the tyres fitted.
Do that makes them even better👍

dom14
2nd December 2016, 01:39 PM
Agree with everything you say Dom. Except for the second wheel alignment for free.
They never did one...
I got it done when I had the kingpin fitted at a different place, a week after getting the tyres fitted.
Do that makes them even better👍

Are you saying the place you went to this time was the place you had the tyres fitted, but didn't do the wheel alignment with them when you had the tyres fitted?!
I'm guessing you waited one week for the wheel alignment 'cos of the impending kingpin job?

jay see
2nd December 2016, 01:53 PM
Yes correct on all. dom14

dom14
2nd December 2016, 02:14 PM
Yes correct on all. dom14

I'll wait to hear how it goes. Hopefully, the problem has sorted out itself.
Pulling sideways or not, keep an eye on the tyre wear. Uneven tyre wear is the thing that empties your wallet.
Mine's always been pulling to one side, but I've never bothered 'cos I know the secondhand old tyres I use on local driving aren't good.
Tyre wear pattern is ok though.
Cheers
Dom

jay see
5th December 2016, 01:31 PM
After driving around over the weekend, It's better not perfect but I don't feel like I'm consistently fighting it to drive straight.
So will leave it at that and monitor for wear.

dom14
5th December 2016, 09:30 PM
After driving around over the weekend, It's better not perfect but I don't feel like I'm consistently fighting it to drive straight.
So will leave it at that and monitor for wear.

Yeah John, I can understand that. If the vehicle is your daily commuter, dragging to the side on long straight stretches can be PITA, depending on how aggressively it does that. Having to exert extra bit of force from hand and shoulder to keep the vehicle can be a daunting task in long drives on straight parts of freeways, highways etc.
In my case, it doesn't bother me 'cos I rarely use mine as a commuter.
Yeah, I wouldn't like it if I have to drive mine everyday.