PDA

View Full Version : 1998 4500 TI Patrol Aircon condenser fan not working

John9886
22nd November 2016, 09:56 AM
Hi All Can anyone tell me how to test the Aircon condenser fan in my 1998 4500 TI Patrol. On a hot day in traffic when moving slowly or stopped at traffic lights the Aircon stops working and I think the condenser fan is not kicking in. Thanks for any suggestions. John

BigRAWesty
22nd November 2016, 10:44 AM
Check on the front, I'm pretty sure it's a 12v fan.
So just give it direct power.

I also think they have a fuse. Worth a look

Yendor
22nd November 2016, 12:01 PM
The easiest way is to have the engine running and A/C on. The condenser fan should be running. Place a piece of A4 in front of the fan and it should be drawn in. This will confirm that the fan is spinning in the correct direction.

Have you had your cooling system checked? Is they any mud/dirt caught between the condenser and radiator? If engine temperature rises to high the ECU will turn the A/C compressor off.

John9886
24th November 2016, 10:37 AM
Thanks I will check

John9886
24th November 2016, 10:40 AM
The easiest way is to have the engine running and A/C on. The condenser fan should be running. Place a piece of A4 in front of the fan and it should be drawn in. This will confirm that the fan is spinning in the correct direction.

Have you had your cooling system checked? Is they any mud/dirt caught between the condenser and radiator? If engine temperature rises to high the ECU will turn the A/C compressor off.

Should the fan work all the time. ???

Yendor
24th November 2016, 11:16 AM
Should the fan work all the time. ???

When the A/C is on yes.

If the A/C is off no. The ECU can switch the condenser fan on even if the A/C is off if the engine temperature rises to high.

John9886
24th November 2016, 12:34 PM
When the A/C is on yes.

If the A/C is off no. The ECU can switch the condenser fan on even if the A/C is off if the engine temperature rises to high.

I have checked the fuses and all seem OK There is one fuse marked Cooling Fan 2 it is OK there is a relay box with one position marked Cooling fan 2 this relay is not there the socket is there but no relay. Is this normal. To me it should be there.

Yendor
24th November 2016, 12:50 PM
Have you checked if the fan is coming on as I have said above?

John9886
24th November 2016, 12:52 PM
Have you checked if the fan is coming on as I have said above?

The fan does not work at all.

jff45
24th November 2016, 03:33 PM
I have checked the fuses and all seem OK There is one fuse marked Cooling Fan 2 it is OK there is a relay box with one position marked Cooling fan 2 this relay is not there the socket is there but no relay. Is this normal. To me it should be there.

The relay for the 2nd fan is not there in the TB45 if the 2nd fan isn't installed on the right side of the condenser. All the wiring is there in the relay socket.

Have you opened the plug near the fan with the A/C on to test if power is getting there?

Yendor
24th November 2016, 03:47 PM
Only if your vehicle is a manual will it have relay 2.

There’s a 30 amp fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet. Make sure this fuse is not blown.

Try swapping cooling fan relay 1 with another relay of the same colour.

If you don’t have power at the fan with the engine running and A/C on you might have a faulty air conditioning relay. This relay runs both the A/C and fan. It has dual contacts. It’s the brown relay in the relay box beside the battery.

John9886
24th November 2016, 06:18 PM
The relay for the 2nd fan is not there in the TB45 if the 2nd fan isn't installed on the right side of the condenser. All the wiring is there in the relay socket.

Have you opened the plug near the fan with the A/C on to test if power is getting there?

Thanks for that. The fan is there in front of the condenser. There is a 4 pin plug connected to it. 2 Black wires and 2 White wires. I think I will have to take it to an Auto Electrician.

John9886
28th November 2016, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=Yendor;705103]Only if your vehicle is a manual will it have relay 2.

There’s a 30 amp fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet. Make sure this fuse is not blown.

Try swapping cooling fan relay 1 with another relay of the same colour.

Hello again. I have now found out the Condenser cooling fan is faulty can anyone tell me the part number and where I maybe could get one at a reasonable cost.
I have power to the plug on the fan assembly.

Yendor
28th November 2016, 05:42 PM
NIZZBITS is who I have found has the best price for genuine parts. You can PM him from this forum.

You could also try Patrolapart or your local wreckers for a secondhand one.

jff45
29th November 2016, 08:06 AM
I have power to the plug on the fan assembly.

Are you sure the fan motor has a good earth?
I would run separate power & earth directly to the fan to be sure..

John9886
30th November 2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks to everyone. Got a replacement fan for $75 yesterday fitted it and all is well. Thanks again everyone who helped.

dads tractor
5th December 2016, 03:20 PM
John where did you locate a fan mate in the same boat .