PDA

View Full Version : Coolant on drive belts

Cuppa
21st November 2016, 05:45 PM
I know you are supposed to avoid this.
But what does it actually do to the belt if you do get some on it & it doesn’t get cleaned off?

I don’t know if I got any on a belt or not. It is a possibility & since I changed the coolant recently one of the belts squeals .... but only for a short time after starting a cold motor, & not at idle, just under a little load. It stops after a minute or two.

If this has been caused by coolant getting onto the belt ..... will it get worse or better over time?

Car has only been used 2 or 3 times since I changed the coolant.

mudnut
21st November 2016, 06:35 PM
Catasphrophic failure!! LOL. Try steam cleaning the belt and pulleys.(don't hit any other components though). Or a wire brush on both surfaces of the belt. Check the surfaces of the pulleys and make sure there is no crap or rust on them. Maybe use some fine sand paper to clean them then wipe away the residual stuff. Been there, the mongrels squeaked for ages.

MB
21st November 2016, 06:53 PM
Is a pot of near boiling water a bad idea?
Please don't quote me but it seemed to work for me on other chemicals like battery accidental acid in my tinny. (boat :-) ) Not the one in my hand!

garett
21st November 2016, 07:01 PM
cake of soap works wonders.

dom14
26th November 2016, 12:08 PM
I use some fine grit sandpaper on edges of the belt and pulley. I do the same with brake pads & rotors when they start squealing.

I don't think coolant chemical can do any damage to pulleys, but might make them slippery for short time.
I've been told oil/grease can react with the rubber on the belt and deteriorate it quicker.

dom14
26th November 2016, 12:10 PM
Please don't quote me but it seemed to work for me on other chemicals like battery accidental acid in my tinny. (boat :-) ) Not the one in my hand!

I guess it shouldn't be, 'cos we use water to wash the engine bay. Then the engine bay can get pretty hot itself during warmer months.

the evil twin
26th November 2016, 12:55 PM
Please don't quote me ...

A pot of near boiling water is a great idea for a nice Cuppa

Bwaahahaha, see what I did there... jeez, I slay myself sometimes

... and I quoted you as well, two for Boom Tish

dom14
26th November 2016, 04:32 PM

Being a "career comedian" that did not pop into my head, at all. :clownredpuff::D

Cuppa
26th November 2016, 06:06 PM
Has now stopped it’s squealing all by itself.

mudnut
26th November 2016, 06:14 PM
You must've scared the belt into submission when you popped the bonnet and looked at it:)

MB
26th November 2016, 07:41 PM

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/217.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/218.jpg..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
27th November 2016, 05:43 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/235.jpg..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dom14
27th November 2016, 12:40 PM
Has now stopped it’s squealing all by itself.

Mine also have occasional squealing on the alternator v belt. It's started(or rather got worse) since my alternator upgrade.
I think 'cos the belt is not perfectly aligned with the crank pulley & water pump. I haven't heard it for couple of months now, but I'm sure it will come back next winter.

GeeYou8
1st December 2016, 08:29 AM
Sorry for coming in late.
Coolant is something like 7 times slipperier than water, so it will make belts slip.
Best solution for a noisy belt is a puff of talcum powder, with engine stopped of course.
Graham

MB
1st December 2016, 08:20 PM
Sorry for coming in late. Coolant is something like 7 times slipperier than water, so it will make belts slip. Best solution for a noisy belt is a puff of talcum powder, with engine stopped of course. Graham
Cheers Graham, appreciated facts mate :-)!
Will have to take new Mrs MB up to Purni Bore and slip test together. Talc is a top idea when dry looking for moisture and I just learnt now Cheers for traction too ;-) !

dom14
4th December 2016, 11:20 AM
Cheers Graham, appreciated facts mate :-)!
Will have to take new Mrs MB up to Purni Bore and slip test together. Talc is a top idea when dry looking for moisture and I just learnt now Cheers for traction too ;-) !

Yeah, I was also told talc is good when fitting tyres on motorbikes. I was having trouble fitting rear tyre onto the wheel and used a bit of oil to get
it in eventually. A guy told to put some talc in to counteract the damage from oil to the rubber & prevent the possibility of tyre moving on the wheel due to lack of friction. I'm guessing talc can work both ways, whether it's a friction enhancer or a reducer?!